CV Joint/Axle replacement-

00Buck

need to replace the CV joint on my 97 civic. Is this something I can do myself without special tools? On a scale of 1 to 10 how difficult is it?
1 would be changing a flat tire, 10 would be replacing a clutch on a heep.

BIGOXJ

not to bad. verry easy to do. only special tool would be a socket big enough to get axle nut off.

SICK99TJ

i have done both sides of a mazda 626...wasnt bad i would rate it at a 5. the only thing i forgot to do is have a pan under the trans so when i pulled the axle my garage took a bath in tranny fluid.:mad:

cowmilker

SUPER CHEESY
Generaly it is not too bad, just take off the axle nut, seperate ball joint, swing spindle out (will still be attached to uppercontrol arm/strut), pop axle out of transaxle (on some cars, Toyota I think, this takes a special tool I've heard, but most cars just take a little prying), replace outputshaft seal. Reassemble in reverse order.

cowmilker

SUPER CHEESY
I have also heard that if you do both, you have to do them one at a time or the gears inside will fall down and you wont be able to get either of them back in (I have never needed to do more than one).

X

XT Utah

I'm attempting to do the same thing on my Sentra (Nissan Minima) but I got stuck at the Ginormous axel nut.

Does anyone know where I can find a 32 mm deep socket? Sears doesn't have them and neither do any of the auto parts stores I've checked.

:sick:

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
You mean your not used to having Ginormous nuts hahaha

I'm attempting to do the same thing on my Sentra (Nissan Minima) but I got stuck at the Ginormous axel nut.

Does anyone know where I can find a 32 mm deep socket? Sears doesn't have them and neither do any of the auto parts stores I've checked.

:sick:

jeeponthebrain

Moab...It calls to me
Not too bad about a 5

I just replaced both sides on my sisters 97' Honda Civic. After we did the first side, it was so easy she ran back to the auto parts store and we did the other side. After we spent an hour or so learning on the right side axle, the left only took 20 min. start to finish. You need to have the right tools which include: basic hand tools, the right size socket for the ball joints, and the big nut on the axle.(Auto Zone has these for rent) I used a fork to seperate the ball joints. You also need a prybar to pop the axle out of the gearbox, it is held in by a little spring clip retainer on the gearbox side of the axle. I own a 96 Civic and I had the Hayden owners manual which helped, but if you have done much work on vehicles and are mechanically savvy, you can probably figure it out.

X

XT Utah

Alright. The nuts are off, now it's time to remove the shafts. Not knowing how to do this, I'll have to let this wait till another day. So far, it's a pretty easy job.