D35 Rear

mattvw65

I agree with spencurai do not try to install them your self......suka is the man to talk with in that department

matt

" if you want your gears done right...NEVER do them yourself. There is a lot of finesse and compund experience involved in getting them just right. Especially if it is your daily driver!! Have someone with experience do them. I know Andy at six states has the most experience and the best track record but I also know everyone else has experience and can set them up. "

just don't risk DIY, there are too many trashed gears attributed to DIY setup guys.

Brett

Meat-Hippy
Originally posted by spencurai
if you want your gears done right...NEVER do them yourself. There is a lot of finesse and compund experience involved in getting them just right. Especially if it is your daily driver!! Have someone with experience do them. I know Andy at six states has the most experience and the best track record but I also know everyone else has experience and can set them up.

just don't risk DIY, there are too many trashed gears attributed to DIY setup guys.

I'd did mine with absolutely no problems. They never made noise, never got overheated. Never any problems at all actually. :cool:

Edit: Oh yeah, that wasn't the first ones that I had done though :D

Last edited:

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
Originally posted by spencurai
if you want your gears done right...NEVER do them yourself. There is a lot of finesse and compund experience involved in getting them just right. Especially if it is your daily driver!! Have someone with experience do them. I know Andy at six states has the most experience and the best track record but I also know everyone else has experience and can set them up.

Spence,
I don't agree with you here. When I build my 44s, I will be doing the gears myself. I have never set up a diff before, but I have no doubt that I will be able to do it correctly the first time. A little patience goes a long way.

S

sukaB

I don't want to knock heads here...
BUT
Gears should be left for the experienced....
Some jeep shops in this valley actually dont even install gears...
HHMMMM
That I respect,
If theirs no one their that has learned the art properly.

Any non certified smoe joe at any shop can do it but what will happen to the gears will bite you in the ass later....
Support the people who actually take pride in work and want to serve you properly instead of the DIY or kids in your diff blowin and goin.
Call Randy's ring&pinion or something and ask them....
Six states can do a great job, plenty of good guys slc or orem store
I learned from alot of the big dogs that I respected and started buying equiptment and gear goods years ago and teaching myself and have had no problems YET...
I have of course fixed many other shop's problems in this valley since I've lived here..
Way Sad--

Last edited by a moderator:

CryogenicZJ

I used to drive a ZJ
Suka.....I definately want you to do it for me......I just need a price total for the diff and install and when you're available......I'll need to drive it up to you.....so we'll probably need a whole day because the sucker will be hot!!!! IF you have a used locker or spool that fits.....that will work too;)

CryogenicZJ

I used to drive a ZJ
I crawled under the POS ZJ today........just a POS cuz I'm mad at it right now......I noticed that the angle of the axle going into the rear diff has caused a little tweak. It's putting upward stress on the seal which tells me it's putting stress on the bearings.......how do I get this rearend to twist up towards the driveshaft so the angle is less severe? Is this an Upper control arm problem?? Would getting upper control arms made be some of the solution as well as changing out bearings? I know that I have a front UCA problem.......do I have a total UCA problem front and rear now??? HELP!!!!!

CryogenicZJ

I used to drive a ZJ
just wanted to add to this...............it's been a lifetime or at least half a lifetime for some you since I posted on this!

we couldn't figure out what was going on with this rear diff so I paid to have it re-geared. 200 miles later it went nuclear!!!

The vent at the top of the diff was plugged solid and was causing it to overheat. The pressure built up inside was causing the oil to boil and while driving down the highway to Colorado shortly after in a rain storm it overheated and popped the fill plug which in turn caused it to expell all the oil out on the highway........heat and friction caused the carrier to come apart and the rear of my ZJ jumped about 2 feet into the air as I watched gears bounce down the highway behind me...........the flames coming out the rear wheel wells caused me to pull over. The rearend was on fire burning what was left of the oil and melted a hole into the plastic gas tank above it. This caused an even bigger fire that was spreading now and caught the interior and rear seat on fire. I was dumping my coolers on it and throwing snow at it but was only knocking down the flames. A trucker going the opposite direction on the highway pulled over and put it out with a fire extinguisher. 3 months later I replaced the rear seat and carpet with junkyard parts and had my rearend rebuilt a second time. This time we put a Ford 9" in with a custom 4 link. I drove this ZJ for another 5 years until I decided to have a few more kids with my new wife!!! My wife had passed away from a severe heart attack at a very young age and moving on with my life was in order.......I now drive a 87 Suburban with a 4" lift and 33s......14bSF rear with 10b front and 3.73s. I'll be around in the forums.....I'm glad to be back!!:D

dentedvw

uıɐƃɐ ʇɐɥʇ op ʇ,uoʍ ı
Cheese and rice! Sorry for your loss.

I was riding with a buddy of mine in his K5 Blazer one evening when something similar happened to his rear differential. It was exciting. Almost as exciting as when my front differential (D30) exploded on the freeway after a creek crossing. I guess the seals quit. Whoops! Muddy water makes pretty poor gear lube. I was picking pieces out of the freeway for about ten minutes, like Frogger.