Dana 300

amp713

Debating on going to a flipped 300.... Looking to see what prices would be like if anyone local has one!

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Just my take with having a "normal" D300, I'd just spring for the Atlas unless you've got 3-4 D300 kicking around. You'll have some $ in the D300 before you're done

amp713

Ya but i can spend that money slowly over time verusus 4k at once to get everything set up how i want.

I have a line on a d300 and a bunch of extra parts for fairly cheap and with my 4.0/ax15 i dont see me blowing anything up in the time i spend slowly building it up. But maybe im looking at it wrong.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I have a dana 300 with a terra 4:1 and twin sticks, I torn it down to replace the seals. Found out it fired the small bearing in the rear output shaft. I have a new shaft, but it also heated up one of the large gears. Called terra to see if I could get a replacement gear and they said yes. Don't remember the cost, but. The case is still torn apart have the new seal kit. Bearing are in great shape. Just needs a new gear. PM me an offer

My flipped Dana 300 is running very well, been running it for 2 years. Behind my stroked 4.0 and AX-15
My costs:
Dana 300 = $200
LowMax 4:1 = $609.11
Flip Kit = $451.33

amp713

Ha its not that i dont want to.... Its that 4k is not something im capable of doing at once. Everything ive got ive budget built one way or another.

amp713

My flipped Dana 300 is running very well, been running it for 2 years. Behind my stroked 4.0 and AX-15
My costs:
Dana 300 = $200
LowMax 4:1 = $609.11
Flip Kit = $451.33

Ya thats kind of what im looking at too! Does yours leak much?? and really important question for you.... Did you have to get the longer and stronger input shaft or were you ok with the AX15 and your power supply??

amp713

I have a dana 300 with a terra 4:1 and twin sticks, I torn it down to replace the seals. Found out it fired the small bearing in the rear output shaft. I have a new shaft, but it also heated up one of the large gears. Called terra to see if I could get a replacement gear and they said yes. Don't remember the cost, but. The case is still torn apart have the new seal kit. Bearing are in great shape. Just needs a new gear. PM me an offer

Pm sent shawn very interested. and what is the input spline and what are your outputs? Yokes or flanges?

Mine weeps a little at the old drain plug, which is the new vent. No drips on the ground or anything like that. I kept the stock input shaft. I do not wheel 'hammer down'. With the 4:1 slow and torque work great. I run 4.88 with 35's and a 2.5 inch lift. A very capable rig in Moab. With the clocking ring that come with the flip kit, my 300 only sits about 1 inch below the frame rails. If I had a body lift, I could get it above the frame rails.

amp713

What year of rig? Thats alot of positives and is nice to hear... Most guys seem to be very debby downer on the idea really.....

gorillaxj

Always building hardly wheeling
2400$ for it bare bones 2 speed on there site. http://www.advanceadapters.com/products/atlas2--atlas-2-speed-transfer-case/
3300$ for a bare bones 4 speed. http://www.advanceadapters.com/products/atlas4--atlas-4-speed-transfer-case/
After holding one in my hands I would never want anything else.... If I ever run enough power to justify getting rid of my Toyota duals I Would go for an atlas.

I have read a lot about breaking D300 outputs and cases. I know you can beef up the internals but is the case really a weak link like I have read about? If so it would make me nervous to build one.

Last edited:

mbryson

Supporting Member
I'm on my third case in ten years and I don't usually drive with a lot of throttle from my high horsepower, 230k mile TBI 350. I'm not that impressed with the case strength. Cases were only made for six production years as well. They're not"rare" but they aren't exactly available all over the place

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
I ran a d300 for years with pretty good luck, but when the stars aligned I jumped on the chance to do my 4spd atlas.

I think the costs to considers are the "additionals" or "why not's"

32spline outputs-$$
1410 yokes and new drivelines-$$
adapter tranny to t-case-$$
new skid plate-$$
t-case support ring-$$
the super duper shift linkage that will work awesome in your rig-$$

All that said I can't say enough about the customer service and help from advanced adapters. Great guys. They were interested about my rig and how I drive it. The conversation made the buying decisions easier. I needed the shorty kit for drivetrain length but I need a variable spend sensor for my efi so they just put a speed ring on the input of the tcase and changed the adapter to take the sensor there. Worked great!

Also I don't think I have ever regretted the money I spent on my atlas either. :D

amp713

$4k? For an Atlas II? Wouldn't that pretty much buy you two?

Well the 4k was me considering all the extras after buying the case itself, and granted maybe the case comes with more than I think but I belive you still have to buy the adapter rings, shift linkage, twin sticks, and with its size id probably need to build my transfercase crossmember (ive been wanting to do for a while now already). Maybe not exactly 4k but I think i can set up the entire 300 for under 2k. And the one plus is that IF i ever hop to the atlas after doing a 300 i could still use the same linkage and some of the stuff id already built up for the 300 so most of those expenses wouldnt be money thrown away.... In theroy at least.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Well the 4k was me considering all the extras after buying the case itself, and granted maybe the case comes with more than I think but I belive you still have to buy the adapter rings, shift linkage, twin sticks, and with its size id probably need to build my transfercase crossmember (ive been wanting to do for a while now already). Maybe not exactly 4k but I think i can set up the entire 300 for under 2k. And the one plus is that IF i ever hop to the atlas after doing a 300 i could still use the same linkage and some of the stuff id already built up for the 300 so most of those expenses wouldnt be money thrown away.... In theroy at least.

I know this is blasphemous to a Jeep guy but I'd get a price from Kurt (or Bryce) @ CruiserOutfitters as well as see what AllJeep.com can do for you in re: to pricing for an Atlas.

Here's my parts list fwiw:

$250 D300
$400 Novak adapter/27 spline input (you may or may not need an adapter and if you're 23 spline already you would just need an adapter---I believe one from a 700r4/241 would have worked for me)
$350 Tera HD output
$75 Ebay shifters

So I'm $1000 to get the thing up and going.

I had to build my crossmember (maybe you don't as I swapped in GM stuff?), find a good trans mount system. I killed a set of stock gears that killed a cast-iron case (wasn't really "on it" but it did have some torque down and I had a little hop---BOOOM, busted case). Bought a second D300 and it already had a hairline crack in the case. Sourced a good case from someone off PBB for $100 and swapped my gears from the replacement case into those.
Swung a deal for some Tera 4:1 gears and added those. I have not had issue in the past 3-4 years but I still don't trust the case like I think I would an Atlas (due to the multiple cracked cases I've seen all in the same area of the case).

If I had it to do over again, I would just buck up for the Atlas.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
If you shop around you can get deals on an Atlas I was into mine around 2k and that was with 32 spline outputs a 1410 rear yoke and 1350 front. with there regular shifters and the adaptor

amp713

I know this is blasphemous to a Jeep guy but I'd get a price from Kurt (or Bryce) @ CruiserOutfitters as well as see what AllJeep.com can do for you in re: to pricing for an Atlas.

Here's my parts list fwiw:

$250 D300
$400 Novak adapter/27 spline input (you may or may not need an adapter and if you're 23 spline already you would just need an adapter---I believe one from a 700r4/241 would have worked for me)
$350 Tera HD output
$75 Ebay shifters

So I'm $1000 to get the thing up and going.

I had to build my crossmember (maybe you don't as I swapped in GM stuff?), find a good trans mount system. I killed a set of stock gears that killed a cast-iron case (wasn't really "on it" but it did have some torque down and I had a little hop---BOOOM, busted case). Bought a second D300 and it already had a hairline crack in the case. Sourced a good case from someone off PBB for $100 and swapped my gears from the replacement case into those.
Swung a deal for some Tera 4:1 gears and added those. I have not had issue in the past 3-4 years but I still don't trust the case like I think I would an Atlas (due to the multiple cracked cases I've seen all in the same area of the case).

If I had it to do over again, I would just buck up for the Atlas.

Thats close to how i priced mine out also. Ive found basically a full 300 minus the case for about 200 that i could use for spare parts and Im really debating on getting shawns earlier mentioned one.... Originally this was all jsut a see what people had and what prices were at but ive been finding enough decent deals scattered about that i could honestly make 2-3 300's for about the price of one atlas. Like I said earlier one thing im really leaning towards is getting all of this set up and then if i have issues reuse most of the stuff for an atlas later. One other thing that i hadnt mentioned in this post (I have a few posts on a few sites) Is that currently i have no rear stretch (its in the works for later this summer) and a shorter D300 would really help driveline length out at 3" shorter than the 231 currently.