dana 44 e-locker stuck

webyepn

gone yeepn
So not to long ago i put in a e-locker in my dana 44. Yesterday my wife took my Yeep to work and left it in and drove to sandy. Now it wont come out any ideas??? Any help or ideas to get it out i would greatly appreciate.

gertsch

I know with my ox lockers they won't unlock when there is a load on them they will finally unlock when theres no load. Also try unpluging it maybe your switch is bad so its staying locked cause theres power going to it with the switch in the off position. idk just some ideas.

webyepn

gone yeepn
Hey thanks for the input. I already tried to put my transfer case in N so there was no load and unplugged the power souce and hit the diff with a hammer to see if the shock would get it to come undone. But its still locked.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I don't know the 44 E-locker at all, but if it's similar to my 60 one, you'd be money ahead to pull the cover and see if there's anything "wrong". I've not had issues of mine staying locked, though.

gertsch

like he said maybe the locking mechanism inside is stuck do to crap getting in the diff. or the solenoid burned up so its stay in the lock position.

webyepn

gone yeepn
Ya thats my next move. I was just seeing if anyone has had this problem. The one thing that has me worried is that in the owners manual for the locker it says not to exceed 30 and she drove from orem to sandy and back with it locked in on the freeway ;(

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Ya thats my next move. I was just seeing if anyone has had this problem. The one thing that has me worried is that in the owners manual for the locker it says not to exceed 30 and she drove from orem to sandy and back with it locked in on the freeway ;(

Yeah, that could be a bad thing. The only way you'll know though is to pull the cover and take a geek. Post up some pics when you do. There's a little E-locker experience around.

gertsch

you know i not sure i bet you can if you can get the number for the manufacture and i'm sure they'll have rebuild kits of some sort i would hope.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Ya I will. Does anyone know if u can buy parts for them?

When I put mine in I had some manufacturing issues and contacted one of their support folks. The Eaton folks were good at helping out. If you want I can try to find the old emails. I have never had them stick on mine but then again I've never had them locked at high speeds on the freeway.

jgb

Eaton contact info:

Torque Div - Differentials - Southfield, MI/ 26101 Northwestern Highway Southfield,MI 48037 #800-328-3850 http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/Markets/Automotive Send Email Go to Website

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I have talked to an Eaton tech guy in the past and he said you can drive with the unit locked all day and at speed without damaging it. The reason they put a "not to exceed this speed" is to cover their butts in case of litigation.

A lot of info on this site too, manuals, instruction sheets, FAQ's, etc:

www.eaton.com/EatonCom/ProductsServices/PerformanceProducts/Products/Differentials/index.htm

Last edited:

jgb

I'm assuming those are pics of your truck? I'm talking pics of the diff and any irregularities re: that.

You did not look at the thread before you wrote your comment. There is a picture of my front diff, he could compare mine to his. It is a place for him to start.

Last edited:

webyepn

gone yeepn
Hey jgb. Thanks for the info. Im going to call them and ask them if there is anything i can do b4 i pull it apart. Im the one that installed it so i kinda know what im looking at.