Davis county emissions testing question

MR.CJ-7

Your Realtor
I just moved from salt lake to davis county and its time to register my diesel. I was told only one place in the county does diesel. Does anyone know if I can go to a shop in salt lake county?

I'm not too worried about getting the truck through state & IM because its stock. I am worried about my CJ when the time comes, because it really has to "study" for the IM test, I was hoping to use my favorite shop in salt lake county, but now I may not be able to do that. :eek:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
MR.CJ-7 said:
I just moved from salt lake to davis county and its time to register my diesel. I was told only one place in the county does diesel. Does anyone know if I can go to a shop in salt lake county?

I'm not too worried about getting the truck through state & IM because its stock. I am worried about my CJ when the time comes, because it really has to "study" for the IM test, I was hoping to use my favorite shop in salt lake county, but now I may not be able to do that. :eek:

I still take my vehicles to the same shop in SL county and even get my tags at the DMV in SL county.

MR.CJ-7

Your Realtor
I just called DMV, they said Davis county has to be done by a Davis county shop. They couldn't explain why. Maybe I'll call back another time and try to get someone else on the phone.

mbryson

Supporting Member
MR.CJ-7 said:
I just called DMV, they said Davis county has to be done by a Davis county shop. They couldn't explain why. Maybe I'll call back another time and try to get someone else on the phone.

I get mine done at Utah Valley Tire on 4th South West TEmple.

Meat_

Banned
MR.CJ-7 said:

IIRC Davis county tests the gas cap and SL doesn't....

fordy4

We bought our diesel in 04, new, and we were told that we could only go to the davis county emission testing facility in Kaysville and that it needed to be done every year. I assumed it was so they could regulate it better or something.

MR.CJ-7

Your Realtor
Same story I heard with my diesel. I didn't ask about my gasser CJ, but I am assuming I must go to a davis county station. Since I have to change my address anyway, maybe I'll put down my parent's address in salt lake?

mbryson

Supporting Member
I just barely registered two cars '96 ZJ, and an '89 Suburban. I live in Davis County. I got the vehicles inspected/emissioned at Utah Valley Tire (4th South West Temple) and drove down 3rd west to 25th south (approx.) and got my renewal for the ZJ and new plates/title/etc. for the Suburban.

Do whatever you'd like to do, but within the past three months I've done the above and it worked for me. I'd be pretty surprised if the diesels have to be handled differently.

fordy4

Just got my car done today. Safety and emissions done at pauls, locally. When I went to do my registration, I asked about diesels. She said that diesels still have to be done at davis county emmissions facility, but newer than 6 years just need to be done every other year like the gassers now. Older than 6 years still every year.

Davis County Diesel Emissions

I just sent this to get gephardt about the new ownership of the Davis County Emissions testing for Diesels in Kaysville, Utah

I would love it if someone would look into the problem with the new Diesel Emissions testing for Davis County at the Kaysville facility which, since the first of the year, has been taken over by a private company. http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/55268938-78/county-testing-diesel-davis.html.csp

We have a 2001 Chevy 2500 -3/4 ton Diesel that we use mainly for pulling our trailer in the summer, very low miles usage as my husband and I both work less than a mile from home and walk to work. Our truck's registration is due in January each year, and we have never had a problem passing emissions , this is our seventh year of owning this truck. My husband took the truck in in Jan and it was the first day they were using their new state of the art equipment and the truck failed. The technician shared with my husband that all of the trucks tested that day had failed. (1st red flag) He gave us 15 days to have the truck retested for no charge. My husband talked to two Diesel Mechanics whose recommendation was to change all of the filters and get the truck hot and take it in. He changed all of the filters except the fuel filter because it had just been changed in July and it was $150 and the recommendation is to be changed yearly. He got the truck hot, 20 mile run on the freeway, and when he took the truck in their equipment was having issues (2nd red flag) so he had to wait quite a while for the test, meanwhile, the truck cooled off. They tested it and it still failed. There is no free retest now, we have to pay another $35 to have it tested again. (3rd red flag).

So, we want to know, are we in Davis County being subjected to unreasonable stricter emissions tests with State of the Art equipment by a private for profit company and should people like us who are doing their best to not pollute the air by walking to work have to pay unreasonable amounts to have a recreational vehicle to take a few camping trips in the summer? This truck pulls our 1998 8,000 pound trailer for us. Will we have to purchase a truck for $60,000 just to comply with stricter emissions for recreational use? This is an issue that I'm sure many Utahn's, especially those of us in Davis County face now. With all of the uproar in the news of late about emissions control, I would like our side of the issue noted. How do we rate? We are doing more than most people to control pollution.

Please, please, please help us. Our registration is expired now because we have not passed emissions. We are driving our 1997 Honda which has a failing transmission and may not get us by for long. We are very frugal people and want some answers on this. It's likely that our truck would pass in any other county in the state. Our backs are against the wall and we have no place to go.
Thank you!

TEAM FRED

My truck just failed there today. I was also told about the new equipment.
I will get my truck passed there this year but have no plans to return. I believe you can take your truck to other countys like slc, etc.
Otherwise this private buisness has a monopoly which is not legal.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
I just sent this to get gephardt about the new ownership of the Davis County Emissions testing for Diesels in Kaysville, Utah

I would love it if someone would look into the problem with the new Diesel Emissions testing for Davis County at the Kaysville facility which, since the first of the year, has been taken over by a private company. http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/55268938-78/county-testing-diesel-davis.html.csp

We have a 2001 Chevy 2500 -3/4 ton Diesel that we use mainly for pulling our trailer in the summer, very low miles usage as my husband and I both work less than a mile from home and walk to work. Our truck's registration is due in January each year, and we have never had a problem passing emissions , this is our seventh year of owning this truck. My husband took the truck in in Jan and it was the first day they were using their new state of the art equipment and the truck failed. The technician shared with my husband that all of the trucks tested that day had failed. (1st red flag) He gave us 15 days to have the truck retested for no charge. My husband talked to two Diesel Mechanics whose recommendation was to change all of the filters and get the truck hot and take it in. He changed all of the filters except the fuel filter because it had just been changed in July and it was $150 and the recommendation is to be changed yearly. He got the truck hot, 20 mile run on the freeway, and when he took the truck in their equipment was having issues (2nd red flag) so he had to wait quite a while for the test, meanwhile, the truck cooled off. They tested it and it still failed. There is no free retest now, we have to pay another $35 to have it tested again. (3rd red flag).

So, we want to know, are we in Davis County being subjected to unreasonable stricter emissions tests with State of the Art equipment by a private for profit company and should people like us who are doing their best to not pollute the air by walking to work have to pay unreasonable amounts to have a recreational vehicle to take a few camping trips in the summer? This truck pulls our 1998 8,000 pound trailer for us. Will we have to purchase a truck for $60,000 just to comply with stricter emissions for recreational use? This is an issue that I'm sure many Utahn's, especially those of us in Davis County face now. With all of the uproar in the news of late about emissions control, I would like our side of the issue noted. How do we rate? We are doing more than most people to control pollution.

Please, please, please help us. Our registration is expired now because we have not passed emissions. We are driving our 1997 Honda which has a failing transmission and may not get us by for long. We are very frugal people and want some answers on this. It's likely that our truck would pass in any other county in the state. Our backs are against the wall and we have no place to go.
Thank you!

Diesels don't like to sit for long periods without being driven. I have a 95 K2500 diesel and it passed at that same shop 2 weeks ago. One alternate idea for you is to register it out of the area, easy to do if you have any family with residences, cabins, or property out of the valley.

gertsch

Thank you!

Heres my .02 cents. Go buy a can of seafoam pour it into your tank and go for a nice drive to park city. kick the towhaul mode on and give her some go juice up parleys and on any incline. then get some fresh fuel in there and see what happens. Old fuel can cause issues and develope algae and ruin your injectors and injector pump,

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Heres my .02 cents. Go buy a can of seafoam pour it into your tank and go for a nice drive to park city. kick the towhaul mode on and give her some go juice up parleys and on any incline. then get some fresh fuel in there and see what happens. Old fuel can cause issues and develope algae and ruin your injectors and injector pump,

Not to mention the differences in summer and winter diesel fuel will affect how the truck acts a little bit, especially if you don't use an additive.

y19

I bought a jeep with emissions and safety done in Davis county and registered it in Salt Lake County where I live. I asked the lady if they had a problem with the safety and im being done in another county, and she said no, as long as it passes the test, it's good to go. Most likely if you get your tests done in Salt Lake County they'll accept it in Davis.

Last edited: