Daypacks

Rock Taco

I have been researching daypacks for smaller trips/snowshoeing etc. I wanted to get some opinions of what others think and maybe what you are using. I have decided I want to stay in the 25L-30L size. I want a full featured pack (hip belt pockets, compression straps, hydration etc) but I also want to stay as close to 2 lbs as possible. Here are some that I have narrowed it down to.

Granite Gear Athabasca 24L - its only 24L so I think its a little on the small size.

http://www.campsaver.com/athabasca-24-backpack
[video=youtube;7jOZ7pvSBsQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jOZ7pvSBsQ[/video]

Mammut Lithium 25L

http://www.campsaver.com/lithium-25-l-pack
[video=youtube;ejF3NaIOgWQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejF3NaIOgWQ[/video]

Granite Gear Kahiltna 29L

http://www.campsaver.com/kahiltna-29-backpack
[video=youtube;WNdiuQzUGPE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNdiuQzUGPE[/video]

I could really care less about carrying laptops and organizing pens.

Last edited:

Rock Taco

Marmot Kompressor Summit 28L

http://www.campsaver.com/kompressor-summit-backpack
[video=youtube;yQp1rsSAdus]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQp1rsSAdus[/video]

Granite Gear Habanero 28L

This pack is a little on the heavy side

http://www.campsaver.com/habanero-pack

Granite Gear Rongbuk 28

This one is not out yet and I dont have any specs for it yet so it may not fit in my criteria.
[video=youtube;_ipIDNsrPgk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ipIDNsrPgk[/video]

As you can see I tend to favor Granite Gear (thanks Mesha) but I am open to others as well. I really like the removable hip belts some of these packs have for lighter loads.

Let me know what you guys think and if you know of something I am missing.

Last edited:

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I've been using a Mountainsmith lumbar pack for almost 20 years now. It might be time for a new one, but I love it. I originally set it up on a web gear harness for load suspension, then they came out with a set of shoulder straps that snap right into the pack. Every couple of years I grab a new day pack with some fancy new feature thinking I'll use it, but I keep going back to the lumbar pack. It's perfect for day trips, unless you're the type that has to have a water bladder, and I think I'm going to try an overnighter out of it this summer.

Or, I've got a an REI Flash 45 that I think I used twice. I'll make you a good deal on it. ;)

DAA

Love my Osprey Stratos. Some people really don't like the trampoline back, but I really DO like that feature. I wish my ULA pack had it. I wish every pack had it.

- DAA

sixstringsteve

I've been using my regular 55L HMG hiking pack for day trips mainly because it's more comfortable than my day packs, and it only weighs 2 lbs. I just roll the top down for quick trips, and it becomes more like a 35L pack.

I love camelbak packs, but after using my HMG, I find them not as comfortable.

Go and try on as many as you can, load them up with 5-10 lbs of gear, and walk around the store. What works for me may not work for you. I have heard of lots of osprey fans who absolutely love theirs. I have an older osprey pack, but I never think to grab it when I head out.

I recently picked up one of these for quick hikes, or for when I want to leave my big pack at camp and just do a short side-hike. I haven't used it yet, but I'm looking forward to it. Only 4 oz, and holds 3L of stuff. It's big enough for a small platypus, keys, a rain jacket, a cliff bar, the 10 essentials, and a cell phone.

Last edited:

Rock Taco

I've been using a Mountainsmith lumbar pack for almost 20 years now. It might be time for a new one, but I love it. I originally set it up on a web gear harness for load suspension, then they came out with a set of shoulder straps that snap right into the pack. Every couple of years I grab a new day pack with some fancy new feature thinking I'll use it, but I keep going back to the lumbar pack. It's perfect for day trips, unless you're the type that has to have a water bladder, and I think I'm going to try an overnighter out of it this summer.

Or, I've got a an REI Flash 45 that I think I used twice. I'll make you a good deal on it. ;)

I hadn't considered the Mountainsmith packs because I haven't heard of them before. I didnt see the Lumbar in their current lineup and they only have one pack in the size range I placed on myself. Its the Wraith 25L. Its a bit heavy for my liking and it doesn't have some of the convenience features I am wanting. As far as the Flash...A good deal does not make a great pack. :rofl:

Love my Osprey Stratos. Some people really don't like the trampoline back, but I really DO like that feature. I wish my ULA pack had it. I wish every pack had it.

- DAA

The Osprey packs are loaded with features but a couple of the negatives I have read are they side pockets are on the small side and they don't stand up on thier own. Well at least in the 26L I was looking at. I'm not sure which size you have do you have that issue with yours? They are also a bit on the heavy side.

I've been using my regular 55L HMG hiking pack for day trips mainly because it's more comfortable than my day packs, and it only weighs 2 lbs. I just roll the top down for quick trips, and it becomes more like a 35L pack. I have a Granite Gear Vapor Trail that is similar size (2lb-5oz) and I will be trying it as a daypack as well but I really am looking for a few more features and ability to organize smaller things with out buying a bunch of add on compartments that are adding more weight. Plus if I can lose a few oz with a smaller pack for shorter trips then thats even better.

I love camelbak packs, but after using my HMG, I find them not as comfortable.

Go and try on as many as you can, load them up with 5-10 lbs of gear, and walk around the store. What works for me may not work for you. I have heard of lots of osprey fans who absolutely love theirs. I have an older osprey pack, but I never think to grab it when I head out. I have been to a few stores but the problem I have had so far is a limited selection. Out of the packs I posted above I have only found one in stock.

I recently picked up one of these for quick hikes, or for when I want to leave my big pack at camp and just do a short side-hike. I haven't used it yet, but I'm looking forward to it. Only 4 oz, and holds 3L of stuff. It's big enough for a small platypus, keys, a rain jacket, a cliff bar, the 10 essentials, and a cell phone.

I have a Geigerrig 700 that is good for a quick hike and very limited gear. But I think I want something in between my current selection.

http://www.geigerrig.com/hydration-packs/rig-700.html

Last edited:

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
I love my camelbak menace. It's small, but it holds a jacket, my DLSR, first aid kit and lunch just fine. And I can strap on a set of snowshoes, or a snowboard in the winter if I want which is why I bought it in the first place.

DAA

The Osprey packs are loaded with features but a couple of the negatives I have read are they side pockets are on the small side and they don't stand up on thier own. Well at least in the 25L I was looking at. I'm not sure which size you have do you have that issue with yours? They are also a bit on the heavy side.

Mine is the 24L. I've never noticed the side pockets being too small for my use, but the pack does not stand up on it's own. Neither does my full size Aether 70. I think it's because of the tramp back, so well worth the trade off to me, I really love that feature - a lot.

Don't know how much the Stratos weighs, but it's mega bomber constructed and feels heavy in the hand, probably as heavy as my ULA Circuit which is 2 1/2 lbs. But it is also very, very comfy, has a real hip belt and load lifters with good weight transfer. It can carry a lot of weight when needed, I've had as much as 25 lbs in mine (stuffed it full with a case of bottled water to keep a group of women and children hydrated on a very hot day hike in Canyonlands), and was well pleased with how comfortable it was even with that load.

I'm really conflicted on the whole pack weight vs. comfort deal over all (I want to go light on everything, but I'm leaning towards heavier packs being worth their weight), but my two Osprey packs, while both very heavy, are both very comfortable to use. Unbeatable lifetime warranty, too.

- DAA

sixstringsteve

I'd definitely pick a heavier, well-fitting pack over a lightweight poor fitting pack. Also, for me, fitment trumps number of pockets and features. If it holds stuff and it's comfy, I can make it work for me. If it's packed with awesome features, but doesn't fit me well, or isn't comfortable, that's a deal breaker. Period. Same deal with hiking boots. I bought a pair because of their light weight, but ultimately they aren't comfortable, so I leave them at home. As I try to lighten my pack weight, I have to keep reminding myself that if it's not comfortable, I probably won't use it.

I think the ticket is to find a light pack that fits you well. If it has awesome features, that's an even better bonus. Most of the time, I only take off my pack at lunchtime or to change clothes. Pockets definitely help organize things, but for a day pack, I don't have a ton of things to organize. And pockets = weight.

Then again, for a day pack, you're usually carrying less than 10 lbs of weight. IMO, an extra few oz won't make a huge difference with short trips and small amounts of gear.

Last edited:

DAA

I agree with fit and comfort trumping ounces. With daypacks though, it could be pounds, not ounces. My ~2.5 lb Osprey compared to one of the ~4 oz frameless knapsacks, for instance.

And, non intuitive as it may sound, but I generally put a lot more miles on the trail in a day hike, than a backpack. Backpacking, I don't often go more than about 12 miles a day, with 15 miles being about my limit, carrying a full backpack. Day hiking, I often go between 15 and 20 miles a day. After hiking 15 miles in the canyons of Cedar Mesa, with three miles of cross country sand between me and the Jeep, a pound is a pretty big deal!

That said, my heavy ass Osprey just plain works for me. But, thinking about it some more, there are features I really use heavily, that might mean nothing to the next guy. For instance, the Osprey has really nice very well padded heavy duty shoulder straps. I hang my 5 lb camera off a capture clip on one of the shoulder straps. I just kind of take that for granted. But in reality, that just plain wouldn't fly with most day packs with less substantial shoulder straps. But for the next guy, who will NEVER clip a brick to his shoulder strap, saving a bunch of weight off the whole rig by going with thin straps would be a better deal.

- DAA

Rock Taco

I love my camelbak menace. It's small, but it holds a jacket, my DLSR, first aid kit and lunch just fine. And I can strap on a set of snowshoes, or a snowboard in the winter if I want which is why I bought it in the first place.

I dont see that this pack is still available. But from what I found online its a little smaller than what I am looking for.

Mine is the 24L. I've never noticed the side pockets being too small for my use, but the pack does not stand up on it's own. Neither does my full size Aether 70. I think it's because of the tramp back, so well worth the trade off to me, I really love that feature - a lot.

Don't know how much the Stratos weighs, but it's mega bomber constructed and feels heavy in the hand, probably as heavy as my ULA Circuit which is 2 1/2 lbs. But it is also very, very comfy, has a real hip belt and load lifters with good weight transfer. It can carry a lot of weight when needed, I've had as much as 25 lbs in mine (stuffed it full with a case of bottled water to keep a group of women and children hydrated on a very hot day hike in Canyonlands), and was well pleased with how comfortable it was even with that load.

I'm really conflicted on the whole pack weight vs. comfort deal over all (I want to go light on everything, but I'm leaning towards heavier packs being worth their weight), but my two Osprey packs, while both very heavy, are both very comfortable to use. Unbeatable lifetime warranty, too.

- DAA

What do you typically store in the side pockets? Looks like the 24L is 2lb-7oz. I was looking at the 26 not the 25 as I stated earlier. It comes in at 2lbs-9oz. I agree with you there is some compromise in weight vs durability/comfort at least logically (I dont have much real world experience) but my 60L pack has been comfortable thus far and it comes in less then the Osprey although a much more simple pack. I'm just thinking that with about half the capacity and more features I should be able to weigh a little less. I'm not ruling them out just trying to get as much information/real world experience as possible.

Here is where I got the impression the side pockets are small. http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Daypack-Reviews/Osprey-Stratos-24

sixstringsteve

I think it's funny that outdoor gear lab mentions putting a laptop in your day pack. I'm pretty sure most people aren't carrying laptops to the top of Mt. Whitney. I wouldn't want a hip belt on my school backpack, and I wouldn't want a laptop pocket on my hiking day pack. Then again, I have a backpack fetish and I have a backpack or two for every occasion.

Last edited:

Rock Taco

I'd definitely pick a heavier, well-fitting pack over a lightweight poor fitting pack. Also, for me, fitment trumps number of pockets and features. If it holds stuff and it's comfy, I can make it work for me. If it's packed with awesome features, but doesn't fit me well, or isn't comfortable, that's a deal breaker. Period. Same deal with hiking boots. I bought a pair because of their light weight, but ultimately they aren't comfortable, so I leave them at home. As I try to lighten my pack weight, I have to keep reminding myself that if it's not comfortable, I probably won't use it.

I think the ticket is to find a light pack that fits you well. If it has awesome features, that's an even better bonus. Most of the time, I only take off my pack at lunchtime or to change clothes. Pockets definitely help organize things, but for a day pack, I don't have a ton of things to organize. And pockets = weight.

Then again, for a day pack, you're usually carrying less than 10 lbs of weight. IMO, an extra few oz won't make a huge difference with short trips and small amounts of gear.

That's what I'm trying to do is find the best of all aspects. If I have pockets in places I can reach I leave the pack on except when stopping for lunch or refilling water etc.

I agree with fit and comfort trumping ounces. With daypacks though, it could be pounds, not ounces. My ~2.5 lb Osprey compared to one of the ~4 oz frameless knapsacks, for instance.

And, non intuitive as it may sound, but I generally put a lot more miles on the trail in a day hike, than a backpack. Backpacking, I don't often go more than about 12 miles a day, with 15 miles being about my limit, carrying a full backpack. Day hiking, I often go between 15 and 20 miles a day. After hiking 15 miles in the canyons of Cedar Mesa, with three miles of cross country sand between me and the Jeep, a pound is a pretty big deal!

That said, my heavy ass Osprey just plain works for me. But, thinking about it some more, there are features I really use heavily, that might mean nothing to the next guy. For instance, the Osprey has really nice very well padded heavy duty shoulder straps. I hang my 5 lb camera off a capture clip on one of the shoulder straps. I just kind of take that for granted. But in reality, that just plain wouldn't fly with most day packs with less substantial shoulder straps. But for the next guy, who will NEVER clip a brick to his shoulder strap, saving a bunch of weight off the whole rig by going with thin straps would be a better deal.

- DAA

Do you have any pictures of how you attach your camera to the front of your pack?

sixstringsteve

That's what I'm trying to do is find the best of all aspects. If I have pockets in places I can reach I leave the pack on except when stopping for lunch or refilling water etc.

Good thread with great discussion. Are you planning on going with a bladder system with a tube, or water bottles that will be in the exterior pockets of the pack?

Rock Taco

I think it's funny that outdoor gear lab mentions putting a laptop in your day pack. I'm pretty sure most people aren't carrying laptops to the top of Mt. Whitney. I wouldn't want a hip belt on my school backpack, and I wouldn't want a laptop pocket on my hiking day pack. Then again, I have a backpack fetish and I have a backpack or two for every occasion.

I just ignore some of the ridiculous things they say. It seems that manufactures are trying to appeal to more than just the outdoor market with some of the things they are doing. Increase market share = more money in their pockets.

Rock Taco

Good thread with great discussion. Are you planning on going with a bladder system with a tube, or water bottles that will be in the exterior pockets of the pack?

I think it depends on the trip. Most times will probably use a bladder. It is really convenient to have water that easily accessible. But when hiking places that have more water along the trial probably a bottle on the side for refilling and ease of treating.

sixstringsteve

After reading the reviews, I may have to pick up one of those REI flash day packs. I'm thinking an 18L should be fine, but the flash 22 looks cool too. But I really don't need anymore backpacks.

sixstringsteve

I think it depends on the trip. Most times will probably use a bladder. It is really convenient to have water that easily accessible. But when hiking places that have more water along the trial probably a bottle on the side for refilling and ease of treating.

Check these out. Pretty cool idea. I filter straight into my bladder without having to remove it from the pack.

[video=vimeo;60845892]http://vimeo.com/60845892[/video]