Daypacks

DAA

What do you typically store in the side pockets? ...
Here is where I got the impression the side pockets are small. http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Daypack-Reviews/Osprey-Stratos-24

Wow, that review REALLY goes to show just how different two people can view the same thing. I've used that pack a lot over the past couple of years and can't say I agree with very much of what they have to say about it. The thing they bitched about the most is the thing I like the best about it, that curved back panel. It really reads like they just looked at it and packed it but never actually used it. Oh well...

I don't carry much in the side pockets. Usually a GPS and some granola bars mostly. Oh, and my trekking poles used to ride in them almost all the time, until I finally decided that if I was going to be carrying them a lot more often that I was using them, I might as well just leave them home.

Here's the website for the camera clip I use: https://peakdesignltd.com/store/capturepro

They have better pictures of it than I do. I bought it when it was still a kickstarter project for about half the price I see they go for now. Here's a picture of me with the pack on and you can see the clip part on my shoulder strap - but Alex was using my camera to take my picture so of course you can't really see it being used.

IMG_0368W.JPG

Funny - I just noticed you can see my trekking poles sticking up behind me, where they always seemed to be. Just never did get to where I liked using them. Nice on steep downhills and on really super steep uphills, but just always would rather have my hands free the rest of the time.

- DAA

I'll second the vote for Osprey packs. I love my Aether 70, although I've converted over to a GG Gorilla for formal backpacking. I still fall back to the Osprey to carry lots of stuff, like Winter camping. It is a tank!

For day packs, quite honestly, I usually just take a camelback that has a little extra space for snacks and first aid, etc. The one I currently use is just some no-name from nashbar or something. I almost never wear a waist belt on a daypack unless I have to carry a lot of gear, like climbing or winter gear, then I usually move up to a climbing-specific pack. The one thing I really like about climbing packs is how narrow they are so they don't stick out a bunch beyond my skinny body. Nothing more frustrating that going through rocks or brush and having the pack catch on everything. I have a Kelty Redwing that is a bullet-proof pack, but I hate it because of how wide it is!

I guess all this adds to the discussion is that a pack is a very intimate piece of equipment and no two of us are going to agree on most important features. Buying packs is a fetish with me. I need to get rid of some.

Another Jeep

ONDAROX
I have a backpack fetish myself, and for day trips I always pull out my Osprey Manta 28. It's the most comfortable and versatile pack I've got. And I have a ton including North Face, Geigerrig, Kelty, Mountain a Hardware etc. My basement looks like REI puked in there! For overnight stuff you can't beat a Gregory in comfort. But my most used packs are definitely my Osprey ones!

Rock Taco

Check these out. Pretty cool idea. I filter straight into my bladder without having to remove it from the pack.

That means buying a new water treatment sys as well but that is pretty cool.

Wow, that review REALLY goes to show just how different two people can view the same thing. I've used that pack a lot over the past couple of years and can't say I agree with very much of what they have to say about it. The thing they bitched about the most is the thing I like the best about it, that curved back panel. It really reads like they just looked at it and packed it but never actually used it. Oh well...

I don't carry much in the side pockets. Usually a GPS and some granola bars mostly. Oh, and my trekking poles used to ride in them almost all the time, until I finally decided that if I was going to be carrying them a lot more often that I was using them, I might as well just leave them home.

Here's the website for the camera clip I use: https://peakdesignltd.com/store/capturepro

They have better pictures of it than I do. I bought it when it was still a kickstarter project for about half the price I see they go for now. Here's a picture of me with the pack on and you can see the clip part on my shoulder strap - but Alex was using my camera to take my picture so of course you can't really see it being used.

- DAA

I dont know you except what I have read here and I would tend to trust your opinion over theirs based on that knowledge alone. I really like that camera clip. do you have some type of cover for it if the weather looks threatening or do you just throw it in the pack at that point?

I'll second the vote for Osprey packs. I love my Aether 70, although I've converted over to a GG Gorilla for formal backpacking. I still fall back to the Osprey to carry lots of stuff, like Winter camping. It is a tank!

For day packs, quite honestly, I usually just take a camelback that has a little extra space for snacks and first aid, etc. The one I currently use is just some no-name from nashbar or something. I almost never wear a waist belt on a daypack unless I have to carry a lot of gear, like climbing or winter gear, then I usually move up to a climbing-specific pack. The one thing I really like about climbing packs is how narrow they are so they don't stick out a bunch beyond my skinny body. Nothing more frustrating that going through rocks or brush and having the pack catch on everything. I have a Kelty Redwing that is a bullet-proof pack, but I hate it because of how wide it is!

I guess all this adds to the discussion is that a pack is a very intimate piece of equipment and no two of us are going to agree on most important features. Buying packs is a fetish with me. I need to get rid of some.

I'm a little wider than some so a wide pack may not be an issue with me. I may just need to do what Steve suggested earlier and buy from somewhere with a good return policy and take it out and return if I don't like it.

DAA

I really like that camera clip. do you have some type of cover for it if the weather looks threatening or do you just throw it in the pack at that point?

Both. I have a neoprene cover, kind of like a body glove that I usually use to protect against dust and light rain. When it starts to get really wet though, I just throw the camera in the pack, inside a dry bag.

- DAA

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
Ive been using a CamelBak Rim Runner for a couple years. I dont really worry about the weight on it for a day pack... usually around 18-20 lbs with a gallon of water. I always over pack too, if im going on a day hike i always seem to have an extra everything. I am really working to over come that addiction.

Even though I really like the CamelBak products, I wont be buying any new ones in the future, but I wont be getting rid of any of them I have either.

I have one other daypack that is growing on me. It is an old Vaude Lasona 25. It has a tramp back so it is cool in the heat. I bought it used as a canyoneering pack to beat up, but it is so comfortable, I have been using it for a lot of hikes lately. My only complaint is it has glued seams and one is coming apart a little, and the tramp squeaks a little on it.

jentzschman

I have a REI Flash 18 and really like it. I think it is slightly on the small side for a full day hike though. I do want the new flash 22 pack. Seems like it would fit the bill nicely.

The only other pack I have is a Osprey Talon 33. I like it, but want the newer version with the removable lid. I find that I do not use the lid and being able to remove it would save some weight and hassle when accessing gear.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I ended up buying a Marmot Kompressor Verve 32. I haven't used it yet besides stuffing it full of my stuff. I think the size will work out well for a day pack or a single over night trip. It doesn't do or have everything I was looking for but I think it will be a good compromise. I will try it out and let you guys know.

View attachment 90194
http://marmot.com/products/details/kompressor-verve-32#

That looks like a cool pack!

I feel similarly to most about comfort. I am less worried about a few ounces in my daypack than I am on backpacking trips. Which makes sense considering my pack weighs more on day trips than it does on backpacking trips. I carry more and usually have items I wouldn't take backpacking.

Generally speaking I hate pockets, but they are handy in a day pack. Usually one smaller pocket and a big main compartment is what I like. My favorite day pack I have ever had was the Granite gear vapor day. Memory foam suspension, light, and perfectly featured for what I needed. So I made a smart move and sold it. I most often use an old cheap camel bak that doesn't even have the bladder anymore. I have lost my server for bladders with tubes to suck out of. I still like bladders, I just don't like the tube anymore. I prefer an old powered bottle or something like that.

Sorry that was a little off the topic of days packs. I should have said, comfort is the most important thing in packs day or extended trip packs. In day packs weight is less important than in extended trip packs. I would shop and shop and shop for a comfortable extended trip pack that was light enough. For a day pack I would use whatever pack was comfortable and give little thought to the weight. It looks like you made a great decision in your Kompressor.

Love my Osprey Stratos. Some people really don't like the trampoline back, but I really DO like that feature. I wish my ULA pack had it. I wish every pack had it.

- DAA

After Dave's raving about the Stratos and my fantastic experience with my Osprey Aether, I picked one of these up on REI clearance last week. I took it on a short shakedown hike last week with some rock scrambling mixed in and I really liked the way it performed. I wasn't carrying much, but as usual, we came out with a bunch of trash left by the non-LNT crowd, including a half full spray paint can from some graffiti spraying yahoo. I love the way the straps hug my narrow shoulders without having to cinch the chest strap up much. Even doing a few maneuvers while scrambling, I never had to worry about it moving around. So far, so good. Now to test it in some heat...