Dealer licence?

jruss

I need to drive a truck from Moab to SLC. Registering it in my name is not really a desired option. Anybody have a dealer plate I could use for 24 hours?

Last edited:

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
wouldn't a written bill of sale from the seller be sufficient? (although a dealer plate would prevent a possible stop and subsequent discussion about the sale)

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
wouldn't a written bill of sale from the seller be sufficient? (although a dealer plate would prevent a possible stop and subsequent discussion about the sale)

Bingo,
Have a bill of sale and you should be golden. Just bought it and taking it home, previous owner kept his plates. Insurance gives you 30days to officially add it to your policy.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
If you're the one selling it, the Bill Of Sale likely won't work unless your name is on the title. And, in Utah, you can't legally "pass on" the title to another owner unless the title is in your name. If you bought it and haven't transferred the title to your name, you can't legally sell it.

You may be able to get some sort of temporary transport registration from the DMV, but if you're not the official owner, you may be hosed.

The dealer plate like you're asking for may be the best (almost) legit method...

I'd have to look, but I think Utah titles have two assignments on them, so you can reassign once without a title reissue. At least they did 20 years ago.

I don't think the state allows a legal way to do what you want. I don't care what you do, but I suspect "borrowing" a dealer plate is more serious offense than just driving it with the bill of sale, although less likely to get bothered. I think you can only get a transport permit if you pay the taxes, licensing, etc.

Last edited:

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I reassigned lots of titles. I usually just abstain from filling it out after the seller does and the real buyer does the paperwork. There are 2 buyer spots on most titles.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I'm wanting to believe there has been a recent change of law with this (title reassignment), however, I looked online for a couple minutes this morning and couldn't find any legitimate info to support this.

I do know that you aren't legally allowed to pass along a Utah title without at least signing the "reassignment of title" portion on the back. This part isn't new by any means, but since it's basically impossible for the state to track it certainly doesn't happen all the time. There was a recent push regarding this by the State via some news outlets - so this may be what I am/was thinking was a recent law change.

That said, I've reassigned way more than my fair share of titles in more than one way.

04F150

they have a 96 hour permit

[h=2]96 Hour In-Transit Permits[/h]Utah Code 41-3-305
The 96 hour In-transit permit is used to move an unregistered vehicle out of the state of Utah. The permit allows use of the highways for a time not to exceed 96 hours. The fee is $2.50 for motor vehicles or trailers.

04F150

i think it works for that also, i would just call the dmv and tell them what you want to do and see what they say

ricsrx

In the past i have been pulled over for no plate with only a bill of sale and a title, dated that day with the seller and buyer information listed.

no ticket