DEATH WOBBLE!!!! any suggestions??

Blader83

I have recently developed Death wobble in the front right tire of my 88 jeep cherokee. At first this only happend of when hitting a bump while going about 30+ mph. Then slowly it started to do it when I would brake inbetween 45-60 mph, then it eventually just got to where i couldnt drive it over 45mpg or it would just start wobbling. So I started down a list of things to fix it first, I started out with the Tierod ends replaced those fixed it(still raddled a little when I would brake)... kinda for about a week then it was back to where it originaly started I tried rotating the tires seem to help only for about aday then I got the thing up to my brothers we took the front end apart, and replaced the ball joints... which they seemed like they were the issue because they were worn out really bad. So once I got it all back together it only fixed it for again like a week. Now I cant drive the sucker over 45. If anyone has had this happen with them and has figured out what was causing it or how to fix this problem I would be more then happy to hear feed back Thanks

Badcop

Who Dat? Who Der?
Is it as bad as my sig block?

Questions for you, describe the vehicle... Lift, tires, steering, etc
I have the same problem and fixed it with a number of small fixes:

check toe in and caster angle
tire balance
wheel bearings
tie rod ends
rotor warping

Not sure what fixe dit for me, but its fixed now.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
James K said:
thats what I would check.

I'd echo that and make SURE ALL bolts holding the trackbar and trackbar bracket are TIGHT!

Order of cost (how I 'fix' our Jeep items with coil springs):

tighten trackbar and trackbar bracket bolts--Free
tighten other suspension links--Free
jack up the front end and check like you would for bad ball joints (sounds like you covered this)--free
Any bushings in the suspension suspect (control arms, trackbar, tie rod ends, etc?)--replace---you'd need to do this before an alignment anyway
Check your alignment with a tape measure--free
toe/alignment---roughly $30-50 at your favorite alignment shop

72Bronco

Death wobble

My brother had this same problem with his 96 XJ, we did alot of the same things you are doing to correct the problem. But what finally fixed was the axle shaft U-joint. Check yours see if it is in good shape.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
replace the trackbar with one that doesn't use a stupid tre on one end. build one with a bushing on one side and heim on the other, or just two heims

seriously though, i could never get rid of my dw, i tried everything... it just got too spendy so i swapped leafs and it hasn't even shimmied since!

Blader83

Hey thanks guys I will have to check the things out that you guys suggested and as of specs on my Jeep it is pretty much stock at the moment only has 2" body pucks and 30" tires that makes it not stock. I have a RE 5.5 lift and 32" MTRs do you guys think that I should just go ahead and put the lift and tires on or wait tell I have it completely fixed "Is it as bad as my sig block?" lol yes its exactly like that

jamesgeologist

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Five years ago, I put the Teraflex BB on my '98 and had barely detectable DW. I then upgraded to 3" Pro-comp springs with an add-a-leaf in the rear. I fought the DW long and hard. I then decided to go with custom 6" coils in the front and an MJ primary leaf in the rear. New control arms, RS9000's and better swaybar connects as well as redrill my track bar mount on the axle side has netted me no perceptable DW ever. It totally disappeared. There has got to be a geometric enigma on these XJ's at really low lifts. Spencurai fought it in his '99 with my old 3" Pro-craps. For him, tire balance was the key!! Whether you have 2" or 5.5" you are going to fight it one way or another. Might as well fight it with a lift that looks good. :D

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
jamesgeologist said:
Might as well fight it with a lift that looks good. :D

well the higher you get, the deadlier the circumstances become! i hate dw, but the looks i got from people were hilarious!!
also check your motor mounts, dw ruined one of my mounts and let the oil filter hit a sharp piece and punctured the filter. it was a mess!!!

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I'd put the RE kit on and see where it gets you. I think you'll be in good shape as you address 90% of the potential issues by just putting the kit on and tightening things down. The only thing after that is setting the toe by the alignment shop.