Death Wobble Ram 2500

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I believe what they are refering to is the fact that death wobble can also be cause by tires out of balance rotationally and side to side.

That's one of the biggest reasons I spend a little more to get quality tires rather than settle for the Big O or whatever house brands. If we ran cheaper tires on our Jeep Grand Cherokee (very similar suspension to a Ram other than physical size), we had all kinds of issues with death wobble. Strangely, that was all cured when we moved to a quality tire. No real suspension changes or anything. That Jeep was NOT used heavily off-road and was mostly a stereotypical mall cruiser.

From what I determined, the tires being slightly out, then hitting the wrong obstacle on the highway or other improved road created a weird "harmonic" effect through the suspension system. I think at that point your suspension is OK and you really don't feel anything. It's when you hit the next bump is when the crap hits the fan.

When I bought my 2500 Dodge, it had WELL worn BFG Muds on it. I never did experience death wobble, but I believe it wasn't far off. I've not felt that since I put on the new tires and have changed NOTHING else. My truck has aftermarket wheels (cheap Eagles or something, wait, they are Ultras) and I've been about to move BACK to an OEM wheel. Say what you want about the OEM stuff, but those are DESIGNED for the vehicle and the suspension system.

For my money/experience, it seems a little more logical to spend a little more on a quality tire that will balance easily and not have common cord/belt separations on the Ram/Jeep type suspensions.

Last edited:

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
I just received Safety Recall H46 for all Dodge Trucks 2003 through 2009. Looks like I will be taking mine in to have it checked. It is for Mopar Steering Linkage.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I just received Safety Recall H46 for all Dodge Trucks 2003 through 2009. Looks like I will be taking mine in to have it checked. It is for Mopar Steering Linkage.

That recall updates your steering to the 2009-2010 steering, which is 1.5" dia versus the 03-09 stuff which is 1.25" dia. I think it is a wear issue with the tie rod ends, and not necessarily a direct hit to death wobble. I may be wrong though.

Houndoc

Anyone know of a source for the Dodge Technical Service Bulletines? On-line searches refer to discussions about them, but not able to find an actual copy.

After TSB 22-005-06

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Anyone know of a source for the Dodge Technical Service Bulletines? On-line searches refer to discussions about them, but not able to find an actual copy.

After TSB 22-005-06

You should also be able to call the dealer and give them your VIN#. They should be able to print you a report with all recalls and TSBs associated with your VIN.

ricsrx

I took mine in, they looked under the truck,then stated that my truck had the correct linkage, I asked does that mean it had allready been changed, he said that more than likely it had the correct unit on all the time, does that mean that they had two piles of parts at the factory, one good one bad..

btw the front end shop (Russ alingment)tightened up the steering box, I didnt have death wobble but alot of shimmie in the wheel, also he said the only way to get it to stop pulling is to install the offset balljoints..

Houndoc

You should also be able to call the dealer and give them your VIN#. They should be able to print you a report with all recalls and TSBs associated with your VIN.

Dealer gave us the TSB number, but said they can not give us a copy of the actual TSB.

gorillaxj

Always building hardly wheeling
from what i have seen, a lot of it can come from alignment issues, tires (balance bad sidewall etc) loose steering linkage ect.... my Buddy's 06 ram 2500 would do this over bumps only loaded. we raked out the front caster. made it more positive. and it no longer does it. however when we did this is was "out of spec" in caster only. making caster more + it makes it have a more stable steering response. but can also cause tire rubbing and other issues if not done moderately. OK on to the TBS. sounds like dodge has something stuck up there ass and don't want you to walk away and have another place do the work..... anywho... (had to copy and paste)

TBS# 22-005-06

GROUP: Tire & Wheels

DATE: October 07, 2006

SUBJECT:
Front End Shimmy On 4x4 Vehicles When Traveling Over Rough Surfaces In The Road

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves verifying the condition of the vehicle front suspension and steering components, and adjusting the front tire pressure.

MODELS:

2003 - 2007 (DR/DH/D1/DC) Ram Truck (2500/3500)

NOTE : This bulletin applies to four wheel drive (4x4) 2500 and 3500 model vehicles.

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

The customer may experience a self sustaining vibration (shimmy) felt in the front end of the vehicle after striking a bump or pothole.

DIAGNOSIS:

If the customer experiences the above condition perform the Repair Procedure.

PARTS REQUIRED:

SPECIAL TOOLS/EQUIPMENT REQUIRED:

REPAIR PROCEDURE:

1. Raise the vehicle on an alignment rack (drive-on lift).

2. Verify the road tires are correctly sized and the tire tread is not excessively worn. Replace any worn tire before proceeding. Any new or old replacement tire should be equal to the original tires that came with the vehicle when it was new. Tire wear is not covered by the vehicle warranty.

3. Set the tire pressure for the FRONT TIRES to the following specification, regardless of the load being carried by the vehicle.

4. Set the tire pressure for the REAR TIRES as recommended for the vehicle configuration and load that is being carried at the time.

5. Verify that the steering damper is operating correctly.

a. Unbolt the end of the damper at the axle end.

b. Cycle the damper rod by hand.

c. There should be resistance to motion in both directions of the damper rod.

d. Replace the damper if no resistance is present.

6. Verify both outer tie rod ends dust covers are not worn.

a. Attempt to rotate the dust cover by hand.

b. If the dust cover on an outer tie rod end can be rotated, or is free and loose, then replace the tie rod (regardless of joint wear).

7. Inspect each outer tie rod end for internal wear.

a. Maximum allowed wear (joint travel) for a tie rod end is 1.15 mm (0.045 in.).

b. Install a dial indicator to the tie rod end (in-line with the vertical stud of the tie rod end).

c. With a pry bar placed between the steering linkage and the axle tube, pry upwards while measuring the amount of joint travel (wear).

d. Measure the amount of wear in the other outer tie rod end joint.

e. If wear (joint travel) in either outer tie rod end is greater than 1.15 mm (0.045 in.), then replace the worn tie rod end.

8. Verify the torque on each outer tie rod end stud nut. The nut should be tightened to 122 Nm (90 ft. lbs.).

9. Make sure any worn outer tie rod ends have been replaced before proceeding further.

10. Verify all other steering linkage connections are tightened to their torque specifications.

11. Grease both outer tie rod ends (even if the outer tie rod is new). Apply sufficient grease to each tie rod end until grease is seen purging from the joint at the dust seal.

12. Align the vehicle front end. Adjust to specifications.

13. Road test the vehicle and verify the shimmy condition has been corrected.

POLICY:
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.

FAILURE CODE:

Disclaimer :This bulletin is supplied as technical information only and is not an authorization for repair.

hope it helps.

Last edited:
more than 80 % of the time the death wobble is caused by the cummins torque monster twisting the frame which then causes the rails to flex and fatigue. When that happens is when you get the dreaded death wobble. My buddy recently found a fix for this with one of these I'm A Spammer.com which brought back the steering stability. He has had it a little over a year now and it is still holding up. He says before you go and spend all kinds of money having the front end looked out take a cheap way with one of these bars because worst case scenario its not the fix but you will wind up with better steering after the rest is fixed. Anyway best of luck while you are shopping around for a fix to this

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
I posted my info this year not 2010. I had H46 safety recall ($0) and tie rods done ($746) 1/20/2014 while waiting for the recall parts to come in. Recall H62 tie rod was done 2/26/2014 ($0). After talking to Chrysler to get a refund on the work already done with no luck I talked to Cody Eckhardt (LHM Service Mgr.) and he is getting me a $389 refund. I have to admit since having this work done the 06 Ram is better on and off the road with no shimmy or wander.