deer hunt unit thoughts

Houndoc

Still dwelling on the poor deer hunt again this year.

Really liked the fact that the number of hunters in our area was way down. But, still did not result in finding deer. Cost aside has me ready to focus my hunting out of state.

That said, which of the units/areas have folks here had good success in?

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
For me the hunt felt about the same as previous years. I did not notice any difference in the hunter count.

OB1

I saw plenty of does. Over 100 in one day, but the bucks were few and far between. Finally got a two point with my jeep after the season. LOL

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
If you need to resort to out of state, look into South Dakota. Your tag and license for two deer was less than $300 last year if I remember correctly(might have been a little over but I didn't put in this year). I have always done very well out there and with the right units(49B where I hunt) there are amazing deer, Whitetail and Mule Deer included with lots of state land to hunt. Most western states can cost almost as much for non resident than a SD tag plus the gas to get there and that's just for a buck tag.

Houndoc

If you need to resort to out of state, look into South Dakota. Your tag and license for two deer was less than $300 last year if I remember correctly(might have been a little over but I didn't put in this year). I have always done very well out there and with the right units(49B where I hunt) there are amazing deer, Whitetail and Mule Deer included with lots of state land to hunt. Most western states can cost almost as much for non resident than a SD tag plus the gas to get there and that's just for a buck tag.

Certainly one to look into.

i got to hunt in a couple different units, i had one for 17a , wife had 21, buddy had 14. we all shot deer had good hunts and say more deer, buck and doe's than the last few years. everywhere we went was maybe 2 or 3 miles from a road.IMG_1141.jpg

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
My hunting thoughts..
Go to farm, buy cow, slaughter.. Costs about $2-3/lb. Get steak, ground, roast, ect.

Hunting goes like this..
Take time off work (lose $1,000) buy tag, ammo, food for the week ($300??) Shoot little forked horn on last day. Pay for processing ($100) get ground meat. Total cost $10+/lb.

Houndoc

My hunting thoughts..
Go to farm, buy cow, slaughter.. Costs about $2-3/lb. Get steak, ground, roast, ect.

Hunting goes like this..
Take time off work (lose $1,000) buy tag, ammo, food for the week ($300??) Shoot little forked horn on last day. Pay for processing ($100) get ground meat. Total cost $10+/lb.

Yea, hunting is about as cost effective as, I don't know...4 wheeling? :D