Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Jeep Cherokee xj

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Other

Votes: 12 32.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Originally posted by 1968jeepthing
hey economos, i noticed your xj is an '89, i thought the 89s had cruddy axles or somthing like that, how does yours hold up?

Yup, rear axle is a 27 spline Dana 35c (axles are held in place by a c-clip). This means that if you snap a c-clip, the whole axle assembly from the drum out will come loose from the Jeep. The front is a HP (high pinion) Dana 30 vacuum disconect housing. Runs 260x shafts and joints, but can easily be upgraded to D44 shafts and 297x or 760x joints and will eliminate the vacuum disco. Front is also a 27 spline count.

The front D30 is plenty strong for stock and lifted applications for locked and geared tires up to 35s, but that will take a light gas foot. The rear is pure ****, throw it away and look for either a Ford 8.8 from a '95 or newer Exlpoder or an XJ Dana 44 rear from an '87-'88 with the tow package.

The '95 + Exploders run 59.5" wms, use disc brakes stock, come loaded with 4.10s and 31 spline shafts w/ 5x4.5 bolt pattern (same as stock Jeep pattern). However, its still a c-clipped axle, but if you were snap the c-clip, the discs will retain the shafts. 8.8s are a tad stronger than the D44s (larger ring gear). The 8.8s will require some new spring pearches and shock mounts, wheel spacers as well to even it out to the XJs 60.5" wms width.

As for my axles, well, I lost a front u-joint a long time ago, but have been fine since with the 260s, but I haven't really wheeled hard in a while, been too busy. Haven't broken anything in the rear, but I can tell they're both tired and wanting to be retired in the ways of Waggy 44s.:D

SuperRunner

Turbo is my middle name
Originally posted by 1968jeepthing
Soooo, now that i have my vehicle of choice picked out, the next thing is to sell my current truck.... any takers? please?:)

I am going to save this one, and give you a REALLY hard time about it when you are kicking yourself.

If you weren't going to be working for toyota, I wouldn't be pushing this, but since you are, I know what is going to happen so,.......I will bet myself $100.

:D:D:D:D:D