Diesel: Ford v GM

Houndoc

Sold the 2004 Duramax. Now time to find a replacement.

As well as both my Chevy trucks have run (the 04 Duramax has over 350K, my 02 1500 gasser 230K) I am extremely hesitant to look beyond GM. But obviously there are a lot of Powerstrokes running around.

Looking at the 2007-10 window.

Can anyone convince me that it is worth looking at Ford instead of holding out for a Duramax/Allison combo?

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
Personally I think the Ram and Ford trucks are a lot more heavy duty.

I'd get either the Dodge Ram 3500 or 6.7 Powerstroke F350. Both are nice. Both will last a long time. The suspension and axles will outlast the IFS in the GM platform.

I have a 6.0, but at 192K miles, it been broken the last two months. After I delete all the emissions crap and upgrade all the known weak points, it should be good for another 200K. The transmission is rock solid. The motor can tow, no joke, its strong. I like the interior, the seats are comfy.

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member

I'd get either the Dodge Ram 3500 or 6.7 Powerstroke F350. Both are nice. Both will last a long time. The suspension and axles will outlast the IFS in the GM platform.

I have a 6.0, but at 192K miles, it been broken the last two months. After I delete all the emissions crap and upgrade all the known weak points, it should be good for another 200K. The transmission is rock solid. The motor can tow, no joke, its strong. I like the interior, the seats are comfy.

I'm way interested to see how your truck goes long term. I hear your arguments a lot from the guys that have them. It seems like they all sell them about a year or so later after doing $5k in motor work. The truck itself is great. Hard to find flaws and the chassis just keeps getting better as the Super Duty platform matures. I like the interiors in the '07 older trucks more than the '08-up Super Duty. The 6.0L and the 6.4L are pretty suspect in my opinion. I'll let other people deal with those for my $. After having my '99 V10, I'd be REALLY interested in a later model V10 (esp. a stickshift :) ) crew, long bed truck. I think the 5r100 auto is a pretty decent trans.

As far as the Dodge.... It'd have to be a SCREAMING deal for me to consider another one of those. I pretty much gave mine away after a $10k repair year. What a pile of shit my '04 was. I still hadn't put injectors or a turbo in it. I'm cool with some things wearing out, but the amount of shit going wrong with that truck was pretty alarming. I hope it's been the best truck ever for the guy that bought it, but I won't get another unless it's incredibly cheap. Cummins is great. Truck is a pile of dung. I even had issue with the front axle. Just everything about that truck was to cheaply built.

I can't imagine the GM being worse and you have a solid motor/trans at worst in that platform (the Dodge just has a solid motor). I've not heard wonderful things about the gauge cluster and some other interior things. I don't think the IFS is the worst part of that truck. I don't care for the IFS but some people LOVE it. The front is kind of soft and spongy and the rear is pretty heavily sprung. Just seems unbalanced to me. I'm not sure why they haven't went to a 4-link and airbags in the rear to match the IFS front on the GM?

A newer diesel has lost a lot of appeal for me. WAY expensive, VERY complex emissions and such, LOTS of sensors, I thought I'd be invited to my Service Writer's home for Christmas if I bought one.... the K.I.S.S. method is LONG gone for a diesel pickup. They do have 800-850 lb of torque. New XLT diesels are WAY north of $40k sticker.... Just seems like a stupid thing to buy to me (so I stupidly bought a 4 dr Jeep).

Houndoc

how come dodge is not one of your options? jk

Before the Chevy I had a 2005 Dodge. Averaged about $2,000/ yr over three years on repairs, mostly front end. Had only about 145k miles on it when I sold it. Spent far less in the last 2.5 years on repairs on the Chevy, despite it having over 300K miles when we picked it up.

The ride, interior comfort etc of the Dodge is also light years worse than the Chevy.

As far as Ford, one of the main weak-links I have hears is tranny, especially compared to the Allison in the Chevy. True from people's experience on here?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I haven't heard bad things at all about the 5r100 in the '04 up. I didn't hate the 4r100 behind the 7.3l and they are much better than the Dodge transmissions from what my trans builder tells me

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor

I don't necessarily agree with that. I work on a lot more Ford and Dodge suspension systems than I do GM ones. Trust me, when GM introduced that IFS way back in 1988 I thought what the hell are those dumb ass engineers thinking. It turned me away from GM for my next two truck purchases. However, after working on all three major brands and seeing how few issues there are, I have had to eat crow and very willingliy came back to GM for my last two trucks. My 06 CCSB Duramax will more than likely be my last truck I like it so much.

I see many more issues with Dodge front suspensions than any of the other two but not to the point I would call them bad or problematic, just that I see more of them.

My son's new to him 02 EXSB LB7 Duramax has 227k miles on it and still going strong. Granted a few minor issues but that is to be expected with nearly a quarter of a million miles on it. Whereas a co-worker of mine is about at his wits' end with his 2006 Super Duty and only 100k miles on it. Between engine and suspension issues he says next step is to drive it off a cliff. There are arguments made by people all the time depending on which camp they are in. Personally, I feel I will go off what I see in my shop first hand vs. what I read on the internet.

Mike.

ID Bronco

This comes to my mind - caution, lots of swearing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qvi6KcOHcCg ( I don't know how to embed it.)

spencevans

Overlander
It's a nice looking truck. I had an 05 GMC with a 6 speed manual and regret selling it. Nothing compares to the Duramax when it comes to MPG's.