diesel gas milege?

rust bucket

Pool boy in training
I just bought a 1999 Dodge 2500, 24v, turbo diesel. My question is how can I get better gas milege out of it. It has 4in exhaust, afe intake and a biger turbo. It doset have a chip and we dont know about the injectors. the competer thing says its geting 14.9mpg. any ideas???

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Change the fuel filter, and slow down. Does it have oversize tires? Seriously, there's not really anything you can buy that will improve your mileage enough to pay for itself. You can make a huge difference by driving slower, and accelerating slower. Make sure your tires have lots of air int hem, too.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
rust bucket said:
I just bought a 1999 Dodge 2500, 24v, turbo diesel. My question is how can I get better gas milege out of it. It has 4in exhaust, afe intake and a biger turbo. It doset have a chip and we dont know about the injectors. the competer thing says its geting 14.9mpg. any ideas???

First thing to do is figure out your mileage yourself, don't trust the computer. Do you have larger than stock tires on it? If so, your odometer readings are probably inaccurate, so you might not be easily able to figure out your actual mileage.

Use a GPS if you have access to one, to verify your speedometer. If it's accurate, you can trust your odometer also...if it's off, you'll be able to tell how much.

rust bucket

Pool boy in training
Tires

RockMonkey said:
Change the fuel filter, and slow down. Does it have oversize tires? Seriously, there's not really anything you can buy that will improve your mileage enough to pay for itself. You can make a huge difference by driving slower, and accelerating slower. Make sure your tires have lots of air int hem, too.
It has 285/75r16 tires on it and they are at 50psi.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
14.9 out of a cummins is pretty crappy, we get better than that out of our work trucks with big cargo boxes on the back.

I was getting 19-24 out of mine before I sold it and I had my fuel pump turned up.

I straight piped mine and threw a K&N cold air intake on, and that helped.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
crapmanche4l said:
Gas mileage, out of a diesel ? I didnt know they ran on gas :rolleyes:

Dumbass :D

We all know what he means.

Anyways - I was having the same problem with mine, crappy fuel mileage. I changed my fuel filter and reset the APPS.

After that I had noticeable power improvement and better mileage. Back up to 18 - 20 mpg. :)

actionjackson

Boy, your in a pick ol'
Ryan Gueller (sp? sorry ryan) has a propane propellant tank on the back of his diesel, you might want to talk to him--it supposedly improves performance plus power--but is really spendy. Also, alot of drive computers are notoriusly inaccurate especially in fords i have owned. Believe half of what you see and nothing you hear- :D

Last edited:

HOOTYHOO

rust bucket said:

hmmm, im not too familiar with dodge, but if you try diesel fuel, and not gas, you might get better mileage out of your COOL new truck dude. :D

James K

NO, I'm always like this
Herzog said:
We all know what he means.

Anyways - I was having the same problem with mine, crappy fuel mileage. I changed my fuel filter and reset the APPS.

After that I had noticeable power improvement and better mileage. Back up to 18 - 20 mpg. :)

I am going to have to give that a try.

but what is APPS?

leorn

reset
trd270 said:
I straight piped mine and threw a K&N cold air intake on, and that helped.

exhaust is expensive, but the k&n filter is 50 bucks for the biggest one you can buy at your local auto parts store. You just have to adapt it yourself. That will give you power and better mileage. Of course it works best combined with exhaust!

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
leorn said:
exhaust is expensive, but the k&n filter is 50 bucks for the biggest one you can buy at your local auto parts store. You just have to adapt it yourself. That will give you power and better mileage. Of course it works best combined with exhaust!
Actually you don't want to use a K&N on a Turbo motor. It lets too many small particles through whihch will eat/sandblast the vanes of your turbo. Use a Baldwin filter and make your own intake. you can order the Baldwin filter from Napa. It is designed for use on a Powerstroke motor, but can be easily used on cummins too. These two part numbers work, and are the same filter.
Donaldson BO85011
Baldwin PA2818

NAPA 6637

Last edited:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Cody said:
MY 99 3/4 ton cummins had 235's on it stock. With 265's, my speedo is 7% off.

Cody
235's?!?!? that's TEENY :eek: Is there no easy adjustment for Doge speedo's? I know for the 1994-1997 PSD's you can adjust it yourself quite easily.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Here's a pic of the filter. BTW, this filter is water resistent. And it is only 38 bucks. You will need a piece of 4" steel exhaust tubing to clamp this in place.

Last edited:

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Hickey said:
Here's a pic of the filter. BTW, this filter is water resistent. And it is only 38 bucks. You will need a piece of 4" steel exhaust tubing to clamp this in place.

A BHAF! I need to do that... I run a K&N and I'm kinda concerned about it. :-\