Diesel mechanic?

Houndoc

Tied into my tow rig thread, truck did the same thing again over Sardine Canyon while taking one of the horses to Wellsville.

(Check engine light on, "engine power reduced" message, speed limited to 30-35).

May want to give one last chance to solve the problem, knowing selling a vehicle with problems kills the selling price.

Any high quality diesel mechanic recommendations reasonably accessible to driving under the described conditions from Grantsville?

Or anyone want to buy a project tow rig?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Check with Travis at T3. He's in the middle of the SLC valley though, so driving it might be unpleasant enought to warrant a tow truck?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I'd go buy a decent scanner, pull the codes and start researching the symptoms and code. It's not like you're the first person to have this issue with a Duramax, I'm sure someone else has had and repaired this problem... and posted about it online.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Just a question... When you loose power if you pull over and shut it down then start back up is power back? Or is there some duration that the power is reduced?

STAG

On my grind
We had a Duramax at work that would go into that limp-mode whenever the fuel filters couldn’t keep up with the flow that the engine asked for.

Thing was, it would even do it with new filters.

What finally fixed it and it never came back? I read on a forum that the Duramaxes ONLY liked the OEM GM branded fuel filters. Not even WIX or any other “quality” filter. But with a OEM filter then we never had limp-mode problems again.

I’m not up to date on your tow-rig-thread so I don’t know what your truck is though.

STAG

On my grind
Just a question... When you loose power if you pull over and shut it down then start back up is power back? Or is there some duration that the power is reduced?
On our work truck the driver’s door also had to be opened to complete the “reset” process. Simply turning the truck off and then back on without opening the door wouldn’t get it out of limp-mode. But again, just my experience with the truck we had.

Houndoc

Stays until codes are reset.
First time with nothing else done ran great for 2 years.
We had a Duramax at work that would go into that limp-mode whenever the fuel filters couldn’t keep up with the flow that the engine asked for.

Thing was, it would even do it with new filters.

What finally fixed it and it never came back? I read on a forum that the Duramaxes ONLY liked the OEM GM branded fuel filters. Not even WIX or any other “quality” filter. But with a OEM filter then we never had limp-mode problems again.

I’m not up to date on your tow-rig-thread so I don’t know what your truck is though.
Interesting. Is a 2008 Duramax.
Never found or did anything first time it happened and gave 2 years trouble free driving
This time around all they came up with was replacing air and fuel filters. About 200 trouble free miles before happened again