diesel question: air in fuel system

Houndoc

Ok, generally not a good idea to post questions about mechanical issues on the same vehicle that is listed for sale on the site, but....

Our 04 Duramax has had three episodes over the last several weeks of dying right after my wife starts it up. First time mechanic bled air out of the system, ran for 3-5 days before happened again.

Back to the shop. Fuel filter and water separator replaced, got it back last Friday. Yesterday died again. Wife bled out air and off and running once again.

Thoughts as to what we do next, other than hope someone buys the truck?

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I couldn't sell it in good consence if it randomly dies. I'd be worried it might hurt somebody if it quit in an intersection or something, but maybe I'm reading your post wrong.

Could be a fuel line or system problem that is allowing air into the system.

Last edited:

LJENS

It sounds like there's a loose fitting or something on the suction side of things. I'm not sure if there's a factory lift pump outside of the tank on that year, but that's where I'd start looking first.

Houndoc

It sounds like there's a loose fitting or something on the suction side of things. I'm not sure if there's a factory lift pump outside of the tank on that year, but that's where I'd start looking first.

Thanks for the lead.

And I stopped actively trying to sell once the problems started.

BoostedRNR

My brother had the same problem on his d-max after he put a CAT filter adapter on. He ordered all new o-rings for the filter housing and it fixed the problem

Tonkaman

No factory lift pump on those. What's the fuel level in the tank? The pickup tubes are notorious for cracking and sucking up air usually down around 1/4-1/2 tank

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
On top of the filter housing there is a plastic bleed screw. I bet the o-ring under it is bad. If not that then also look at the prime pump next to it. If the pump is loose/sloppy it could be letting air in around it. One last thing to check is the fuel filter itself. Those were always a bit of a pain to get on and the top o-ring just kind of sits on the filter. Make sure it's in the groove. Oh, also while the filter is off, make sure there is not an extra inner o ring left on the pick up tube from the last filter.