Difference between CJ and YJ springs

dunatic67

It's all about the HP
I have some YJ springs available to me and I want to install them on a 76 CJ-7. What are the differences and how can I make them work?

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
dunatic67 said:
I have some YJ springs available to me and I want to install them on a 76 CJ-7. What are the differences and how can I make them work?

The rear springs are the same width and length with the only difference being the size of the spring eye on the shackle end of the spring. The front springs are close to the same length but are 2.5 inches wide where the cj ones are 2 inches wide. The shackle eye is also different. Alot of people buy a YJ shackle reversal kit and put that on their CJ to make YJ springs work on the front. On my CJ I made custom shackle mounts to accept the wider front springs when I went to the wider springs.
Dave

dunatic67

It's all about the HP
On my CJ I made custom shackle mounts to accept the wider front springs when I went to the wider springs.
Dave[/QUOTE]
Do you have any pics of the mounts? Or could I see them sometime?

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
dunatic67 said:
On my CJ I made custom shackle mounts to accept the wider front springs when I went to the wider springs.
Dave
Do you have any pics of the mounts? Or could I see them sometime?[/QUOTE]

Sure come on by some night and take a look.Send me a PM and I'll give you the address.
Dave

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
Not to step on any toes, but why use YJ springs? CJ springs are pretty damn awesome if you asked me. In spring over configuration they flex very well and aren't as soft as YJ springs. YJ's are too soft in my opinion. Or are you going to lifted springs?

EZ