discrimination?

grinch

inner city redneck
OK here is a good one for you lawyer types..... I am a commercial plumber for a company that is doing a remodel at the church office building in salt lake. I have been there for 3 days now and was informed by my Forman today that The church said I cannot wear short sleeved shirts anymore because I have tattoos that are visible.... WTF... Does this count as discrimination? I was upset at the fact that im good enough to plumb their building but not good enough to walk around it??? I was mad and didn't put on a long sleeve shirt. I was the only one asked to put one on it would be different if everyone was told to but I was singled out because of a few tattoos... Is that even legal for them to do? This is not a thread set up to harass or bash other mormons. My company is ownd by a morman family and they have been nothing but good to me. Its just sad when somone is made to feel inferior. Yes I took it personal I has now caused problems with my job. Im a construction worker why should a few tattoos make me do a less quality job? UGH sorry guy rant off.......

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Sorry to hear, I can see how you'd be upset.

While I do think it's BS, I would imagine the church probably has some 'standards' that they want all people working on the grounds to follow. Do they allow smoking on the property? If not, I would imagine it's something along those lines.

Also, working on the church office buildings, there are some very well-respected individuals of the church walking around. Perhaps there are tighter standards on that location?

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
There are companies all over the world that will not allow you to have tatoos showing. My company requires you to wear long sleeve shirts in the summer if your tatoos show below your short sleeve shirts. I know of several other previous employers that require tatoos to be covered or hidden....

It is not discrimination, it is life.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Oh.... if you're willing, I'd ask your foremen (nicely) if you could see in print, where it says that your tats have to be covered. ;)

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
I think it is stupid for "The" church to make you wear long sleeves, but you have no legal standing. Just be lucky they do not require you to have a recomend. They have already fought that battle and the courts ruled they can require it to work for "The" church if they want to. At least it isn't summer.

Caleb

well, no one is making you do anything...you have a choice, you want to work you cover up...don't want to cover up then find work elsewhere...not trying to be a dick about it but people make it sound like you have no choice. The way I see it is they likely have clients that are around that they need to make a good impression on, their standards are very well known and having someone walking around with Tats is not setting a good impression...from what you have told us, no one ever said you did bad work, or you'll do better without your tats showing...its just a drerss code to set a pressence there for both internal and external clients... :-\

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
I hope that you understand that the point I was trying to make is that it is not a localized issue. IF you have tatoos, you will be asked to cover them up or conceal them in a vast majority of places of employment in the united states...it is not a new issue, you have just never had to deal with it before.

Go work on base, they will make you wear long sleeves and long pants during the summer time to do construction out there, given it is probably not for tatoos but dress codes are not that unrealistic, even for construction personell.

Caleb

spencurai said:
I hope that you understand that the point I was trying to make is that it is not a localized issue. IF you have tatoos, you will be asked to cover them up or conceal them in a vast majority of places of employment in the united states...it is not a new issue, you have just never had to deal with it before.

Go work on base, they will make you wear long sleeves and long pants during the summer time to do construction out there, given it is probably not for tatoos but dress codes are not that unrealistic, even for construction personell.

yep, my point too...:D

I don't think its cause its the church, I just think its a dress code...

grinch

inner city redneck
That's my whole point. I spent the last 6 months at BYU redoing their plumbing in their science building.... NO Problems and they Do have a dress code.... Its not my company that has a problem with my appearance I dress as professionally as a plumber can. Dress code for Military base is an OSHA thing and is enforced with everyone not just the guy that looks a little different. Lets face it its construction good luck finding very many people with temple recommends who are licensed and qualify to do the type of plumbing I can. I was sent there by my company because of the quality of work I can put in and they wanted it to be done correctly. Im just venting I will cover up the tattoos I respect my employer and love the company I work for so im not going to screw up a good job. I just don't understand the narrow minded people of this world. Out of all the guys I work with I am the only non Mormon and none of them have a problem with me. Infact a few of them were insulted by the fact that this was even brought to an issue. Its not a church bashing thing. Its me Just venting. If Im good enough to install and build the comforts of the building you work or live in I should be good enough to walk down the halls........

Last edited:

StrobeNGH

no user title
grinch said:
That's my whole point. I spent the last 6 months at BYU redoing their plumbing in their science building.... NO Problems and they Do have a dress code....
THERE is the problem:
BYU's science building is a public building. Yes BYU is a private school, but private property may be considered a public building, depending on the access a general person may have to the premeses. I can walk into the science building without an invitation and be fine. The dress code applies only to students, and others who have voluntarily agreed to live those standards.
The Church Office building is not a public building. There are areas that the public is allowed to go, but there are also places that are off limits.
It is the private place consideration that allows them to request that you cover up your tattoos. Also, be assured that the request that you cover up your tattoos was run by an attorney before you received it. The Church runs a tight ship.

RWH

Let's Roll For Justice
It was also my understanding that if you have Tatt's they need to be covered when you go to court unless it's just impractical to do so. I.E. covering your face. I could be wrong but i remember reading that somewhere last time i was around a court house.

cruiserkitten70

These types of people never change, they judge everyone who doesnt fit the mold. I think the best thing to do is to do as they requested, show them you really are a nice, respectful person..regardless of how you look. They want to cover you up because your indiviuality is a slap in the face to their way of life...they cant control you or make you change so they cover you up. And I am not just refering to people belonging to "The Church".

dunatic67

It's all about the HP
Im just pissed. Needed to vent.[/QUOTE]

First I appreciate your need to vent. Second point I would like to make is we all have the choice to choose our attitude, and it sounds like you have chosen a good one in respecting your employer and the church for asking you to cover up. Our attitude is always our choice, if we let someone else determine our attitude then we let someone else control our lives and I respect you for taking control and choosing your attitude. I think we have all been affected by circumstances or people who are intolerant of us individually. It is an unfortunate part of human nature.
Forget it all- lets go wheeling! ;)

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I don't know man... I'm no fan of the Mormon Church, but it IS their building, and I think I'll have to say that they have the right to ask whatever they want of the employees they hire to work there. There are other jobs, and there are other plumbing companies as well. Is it really that big a deal?

I'd cover 'em up and take their money. :D

britney

Queen of Chit!!
It's sounds to me that the request was reasonable, but there timing sucked. They should have asked you before the job to have them covered, not after you had been there for 3 days. :rolleyes:

Idiots!!

grinch

inner city redneck
Tjjeepjunkie said:
I WOULD QUIT AND GO INTO OBTAINING NEW SPONSORS FOR YOUR ROCKCRAWLING TEAM :rofl: :rofl:

Yeah thats what I should do..... Who needs to work when we make the big bucks as professional rock crawlers... ;)

Had a talk with owner of my companey today and he said that he respects the fact that even thoah im upset I will wear the long sleeve shirts while im working there. Next week I will start a new job at BYU and they will send down as he puts it... A less qualified guy to finish it up. Comming from the fact he is the bishop of his ward it made me feel a little better lol....