discrimination?

Freelancer

Moderhater
"The Grinch Who Stole 'The Church'"

Actually, when "The Church" contracts any work or repairs or building of their temples or meeting houses they will place in their work orders and contracts with the outside entities certain strict stipulations that must be met in order to be considered to even bid for the job. An example is when one of their temples is built, in the contract if they request a particular brand of electrical wiring they mean that particular brand. I know that when their temple was constructed in Saint Louis, MO the electrical crew put in comparable electrical wiring to the contracted brand name they requested and "The Church" made them pull it all and replace it with the brand outlined in the contract. So this shows you how strictly they follow-up to make sure their contracts are met to a "T." Also in their contracts to build their meeting houses and temples it is agreed upon that none of the construction workers may smoke on property while at work, nor drink alcoholic beverages (obvious), nor use vulgar or degrading language, and all tattoos must be covered. It is the right of "The Church" to stipulate what they want when they are the one's shelling out the money. I respect your decision to keep this issue to yourself and not to blow this out of proportion or quit your good job. I also respect the fact that you did speak with your employer and express your concerns about the problem. I think keeping the communication open with your employer about concerns such as this is important in keeping things bothering you from festering and growing into something bigger than it really is. Just remember, your boss good to you and respects your opinion and you enjoy your job. If you have those things, then you are on the right track. :D

Last edited:

TRNDRVR

IMA BUM
vwjettaon35s said:
Actually, when "The Church" contracts any work or repairs or building of their temples or meeting houses they will place in their work orders and contracts with the outside entities certain strict stipulations that must be met in order to be considered to even bid for the job. An example is when one of their temples is built, in the contract if they request a particular brand of electrical wiring they mean that particular brand. I know that when their temple was constructed in Saint Louis, MO the electrical crew put in comparable electrical wiring to the contracted brand name they requested and "The Church" made them pull it all and replace it with the brand outlined in the contract. So this shows you how strictly they follow-up to make sure their contracts are met to a "T." Also in their contracts to build their meeting houses and temples it is agreed upon that none of the construction workers may smoke on property while at work, nor drink alcoholic beverages (obvious), nor use vulgar or degrading language, and all tattoos must be covered. It is the right of "The Church" to stipulate what they want when they are the one's shelling out the money. I respect your decision to keep this issue to yourself and not to blow this out of proportion or quit your good job. I also respect the fact that you did speak with your employer and express your concerns about the problem. I think keeping the communication open with your employer about concerns such as this is important in keeping things bothering you from festering and growing into something bigger than it really is. Just remember, your boss good to you and respects your opinion and you enjoy your job. If you have those things, then you are on the right track. :D
Discrimination!!! I guess the church thinks it’s exempt from EEO laws.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
TRNDRVR said:

How does it discriminate, everyone has the opportunity to clover their tattoos. I have worked at several places (non-church related) that require a similar code of conduct. Do places that require a set dress code violate EEO laws? Nope, as per the courts. The church's long standing policy has been challenged and upheld.

Caleb

TRNDRVR said:

not at all...you missed the whole point of that...they are NOT discriminating, they set guidelines and if you follow them then you are welcome to work there, if not then find another place to work...pretty simple, kinda like me going and trying to apply to be a brain surgeon...if I dont meet the criteria then I get passed up, its not discriminating at all...its possible for anyone to work there (member or not), they just have strict stipulations :D

Caleb

cruiseroutfit said:
How does it discriminate, everyone has the opportunity to clover their tattoos. I have worked at several places (non-church related) that require a similar code of conduct. Do places that require a set dress code violate EEO laws? Nope, as per the courts. The church's long standing policy has been challenged and upheld.

:rofl: guess I'm too slow :D

Caleb

grinch said:
Lets face it its construction good luck finding very many people with temple recommends who are licensed and qualify to do the type of plumbing I can.

you're not serious are you??? I bet I could go through most wards and find atleast one plumber that can do the exact type of work you can do...plumbers are not a rarity...this is the whole reason my dad decided to quit plumbing after 20+ years of doing it.

grinch

inner city redneck
Supergper said:
you're not serious are you??? I bet I could go through most wards and find atleast one plumber that can do the exact type of work you can do...plumbers are not a rarity...this is the whole reason my dad decided to quit plumbing after 20+ years of doing it.

Im damn serious. Its not as true as you think. Yes, there are a dime a dozen house plumbers and handy man types. That's not what I do. Im not a turd hurdler or faucet fixer. Im not saying im the best plumber out there but I take pride in my work and its paid off for me.
I am betting there is more to it than that for your dad quiting. i.e.. Its a physically demanding job that ruins your body and does not always allow you to work around the healthiest environments. Especially on the commercial and industrial end where I work. There was also a good dry spell of work in Utah after the Olympics that really killed a lot of plumbers because of the no workey thing. I have been lucky enough to always have a job because of my work ethics and priorities.
Dont get your panties in a bunch im not bashing your dad. I have respect for anyone who can make it 20 plus years in this field. I hope I can retire in that many years.
I also know I am the one who chose to get the tattoos. There is a reason I went into construction. I know in most white collar jobs I would be required to wear long sleeve shirts. I don't have a problem with this but what I do is not white collar and I have been in a lot of high profile building in Utah for state and federal jobs. None of which have required long sleeves. Also industrial and military jobs that only required long sleeve shirts when in certain areas due to OSHA regs. I was a little irritated when this happened because of the way I was approached. Not that I had to wear a long sleeve shirt. I was offended when I was told that I was found offensive. I needed to vent. Im not your typical bull headed tattoo freak that's trying to shock the world into seeing thing my way and then when someone has a problem with it I get all upset. I get upset when I am treated in a rude manner. That is the whole reason for the post.

Caleb

grinch said:
Im damn serious. Its not as true as you think. Yes, there are a dime a dozen house plumbers and handy man types. That's not what I do. Im not a turd hurdler or faucet fixer. Im not saying im the best plumber out there but I take pride in my work and its paid off for me.
I am betting there is more to it than that for your dad quiting. i.e.. Its a physically demanding job that ruins your body and does not always allow you to work around the healthiest environments. Especially on the commercial and industrial end where I work. There was also a good dry spell of work in Utah after the Olympics that really killed a lot of plumbers because of the no workey thing. I have been lucky enough to always have a job because of my work ethics and priorities.

:rofl: actually my dad never would step foot in residential plumbing for work, occasionally for friends (rarely) but never for work...to this day my dad could still handle the work, he does say the same thing you say, its physical and demanding but thats what he enjoys. He actually has been out of plumbing for about 15 years, there was still a lot of work but the number of plumbers were growing more rapidly then ever. He has his degree in construction (dont know exactly what but he transfered from BYU to SUU because they had a much better program) plus all the plumbing liscenses...he was in demand and like you say, making a pretty penny doing it (especially for the time).

grinch said:
Dont get your panties in a bunch im not bashing your dad. I have respect for anyone who can make it 20 plus years in this field. I hope I can retire in that many years.

no worries, it'll take mroe than e-conversations to get my panties in a bunch :D

grinch said:
I also know I am the one who chose to get the tattoos. There is a reason I went into construction. I know in most white collar jobs I would be required to wear long sleeve shirts. I don't have a problem with this but what I do is not white collar and I have been in a lot of high profile building in Utah for state and federal jobs. None of which have required long sleeves. Also industrial and military jobs that only required long sleeve shirts when in certain areas due to OSHA regs. I was a little irritated when this happened because of the way I was approached. Not that I had to wear a long sleeve shirt. I was offended when I was told that I was found offensive. I needed to vent. Im not your typical bull headed tattoo freak that's trying to shock the world into seeing thing my way and then when someone has a problem with it I get all upset. I get upset when I am treated in a rude manner. That is the whole reason for the post.

thats a good way to look at things. So what you are really saying is your boss had no tact when approaching you, where does the fact its at the church office buildings play into the equation here???

BTW, I bet my dad could beat-up your dad :rofl:

grinch

inner city redneck
LOL thats where your confused ;) . It wasnt my boss who approached me. It was one of the construction superintendents for the church. My boss is great I have zero complaints with him other than I think i deserve a huge raise lol....
BTW
I bet your dad could beat up my dad...... He is a wussie pencile pushing elegibilty claims guy for the state.....

These types of people never change, they judge everyone who doesnt fit the mold. I think the best thing to do is to do as they requested, show them you really are a nice, respectful person..regardless of how you look. They want to cover you up because your indiviuality is a slap in the face to their way of life...they cant control you or make you change so they cover you up. And I am not just refering to people belonging to "The Church".

Listen to yourself. Just because this is a church building you're saying it's the church that's enforcing this? You're saying they're trying to force their way of life on him? That's not the case at all. If you've ever been in the building you'll understand that it's a very formal and professional atmosphere and they uphold that to the "T". It's not a church issue at all, it's a ediquete rule and nothing more. Do you think the employees are complaining that they have to wear suits and ties and are discriminated against because they can't wear shorts and other things that individualize them? You need to be a little more open minded and quit thinking your so oppressed.

cruiserkitten70

crimsonride said:
Listen to yourself. Just because this is a church building you're saying it's the church that's enforcing this? You're saying they're trying to force their way of life on him? That's not the case at all. If you've ever been in the building you'll understand that it's a very formal and professional atmosphere and they uphold that to the "T". It's not a church issue at all, it's a ediquete rule and nothing more. Do you think the employees are complaining that they have to wear suits and ties and are discriminated against because they can't wear shorts and other things that individualize them? You need to be a little more open minded and quit thinking your so oppressed.

I wouldnt expect someone in suit and tie to work on the plumbing either. They called him " offensive", to me that shows they were personally bothered by how he looked..they didnt say " the ediquete for this building requires you cover your tatoos", they told him they were offensive and he needed to cover them. I work in accounting for a large fortune 500 company..I dress appropriate for work, I have never been told my tatoos were offensive and had to cover them up. Its one thing to say it is against dress code, but saying they are offensive is expressing a personal, judgemental opinion.

Just curious. What are your tatoos of? There are few things I can think of that I would consider offensive so I'll have to side with you that it's a little inapropriate if it's just a design or something.

grinch

inner city redneck
I have a couple of dragons on my arms.... I know its hession... lol

This is me and my invisible puppy..... extremely offensive lol....
f65a732d.jpg