dodge 1500 towing

Status
Not open for further replies.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
anyone know the tow rating on a dodge 1500 5.2L 5 spd?
anyone have anything against this setup for towing? i test drove one and it is nice... the 5.2 liter has always seemed powerful and i would like a 5 spd because the 1/2 ton autos are junk! i wish i could put up enough $ for a ctd or even a 2500 with a 5.9L. i can't afford to drive a v10 with the 6 mpgs they get.

-nate

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
The 5.2 is weak for towing duty... you won't like it. The 5.8 is a little better, but still sucks at all aspects of towing (Braking, Gas Mileage, Power.)

I've said it before & I'll say it again... buy a Cummins. No matter what you think now, you'll thank yourself for doing it right the first time. Complain about it if you what, but that's the truth. I have 2 friends that have owned gasser Dodges for about 6 months, then lost money on selling them to buy a Cummins equipped Dodge.

BTW.... my Cummins gets 20 MPG. ;)

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
85 ford F250 diesel the only way to go :D

Gas engines eat to much gas when pulling i think Diesel is the only way to go if your towing alot. just my .02

N-Smooth

yes this has been discussed. i just wanted to discuss it again.

i would love to get a cummins more than anything, but they are toooooo expensive. i am willing to pay up to 13... and i would like something 98 or newer and in good condition. months of researching seem to bring me back to 1/2 tons. it seems like that is all i can afford within the year range that i desire.
i could get a 2wd cummins for cheap, but this is utah not arizona or cali... 4wd is necessary!
so find me a cummins with decent mileage and in good condition and i will buy it.
how many miles are too many on a diesel motor? i know they last a lot longer, but how long?

thanks guys, sorry i bring this up so much. you like it anyway, it gives you all a reason to hate me more!

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
I have 250,000 on my 6.9L diesel and it runs good. I think you could get a Powerstroke, or a cummins with half desent miles for around 13k i think if you can find one with around 80,000 to 120,000 miles on it. they last as long as you mantain them to. I alost got a Powerstroke for 12K that had 80,000 miles on it so just look around i bet you can find a killer deal on one.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Buying a gas engined tow rig was the worst vehicular purchase I have ever made. You can find a Cummins for that price, keep looking. Try to find a manual transmission, and don't worry too much about the miles. When's the last time you saw a Cummins in a junk yard? I know what you want to hear, but nobody on here is going to tell you that. Sorry.

Greg

Admin
xj_punk said:
i would love to get a cummins more than anything, but they are toooooo expensive. i am willing to pay up to 13...

I paid $13.4k for my '99 Quad Cab Cummins w/ 5 Speed, 6 Disc, Leather, etc...

You just gotta look & look & look & look & look & look & look & look & look & look untill you find what you want.

Morale of the story? Quitchyerbitchen and start lookin. :D

James K said:

No joke! That was a steal!!

Caleb

Yep, the deals are there...I got my 99 PSD supercab for $10K out the door...I helped cody find a deal on his cummins and I think he got it for around $12.5K and I think his is a 98 or 99...

Greg

Admin
Look up the 'Big Sarge' and 'MudSlideJeep'. They both deal with used Dodges alot. If they can't hook you up, I'd be surprised.

Tell 'em Greg sent ya. ;)

cyberduke

Hairy Bagel
Unless he's sold it, Big Sarge has a fairly new (late 90's) rig he's tryin to get rid of. He's asking for a bit more than you're willing to pay though. You may want to talk w/ him.

As far a pulling w/ a 1500... I have one. It sucks. I do have the 5.9 litre but I've already smoked one tranny at about 80k. Currently it's all I have. I'm saving for a new Cummins, but it's going to take a little more time. Until then, I have to live w/ my half ton.

-Earl

Samcan

I have a 1995 1500 with 5.9, auto, and 3.53 gears and use it all the time to pull a light 19 foot camp trailer, but it sucks. Couldn't past a Suzuki on flat road. Save up for a diesel or buy a big block and pay for the gas. You are right to steer away from the Dodge auto they like to run hot when you start to tow.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Just as incentive, you've heard from a couple people that have the 1500 and say they suck. Last weekend pulling my Jeep down to St. George I was passing a Ford on a hill, and another car was coming up behind me quick. Not wanting to slow them down I nailed it and hit ninety, towing up hill. :eek: Prolly had more in it, but by that time I was in front of the other guy and back in the right lane. Wait for a Diesel, if you're buying a truck to tow with. ;)

N-Smooth

you guys all know i would prefer a diesel right? its not like i want a 1/2 ton, it just might be the only option.. i would like to get a truck soon. i only owe 4k on my jeep and have no other bills. it would be good to buy a truck in a couple months though so i could get a trailer and pay it off before i get the truck.
trailer before truck, that's weird.

keep an eye open for me, all of you.

funny how we have discussed this like a million times and you guys still reply, it is a heated topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.