dodge 1500 towing

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
xj_punk said:
funny how we have discussed this like a million times and you guys still reply, it is a heated topic.
Heated? I wouldn't call it heated. Everyone agrees that you should get a diesel! :)

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Gas motor owner that UPGRADED his 1/2 ton to 3/4 ton. Works great now as far as load carrying ability, but I get the 8 mpg highway, 8 mpg city, or 8 mpg towing (with a camper on, I get 5.54 mpg according to my Garmin :ugh: )................

I gotta sell mine, though. No room for the chillin'

I'm buying a turbo diesel next......

supergper said:
Yep, the deals are there...I got my 99 PSD supercab for $10K out the door...I helped cody find a deal on his cummins and I think he got it for around $12.5K and I think his is a 98 or 99...

I've actually seen a few high-miler ones in the $13K to $15K range, was thinking about doing that and get the wife something else but we're gonna keep the burb for now.

First choice, TD. No question. Chev, F*rd or Dodge. IFS whiners can kiss my arse, when's the last time you took it anywhere the front axle made a difference? 'sides, all I hear about is Dodge Death Wobble (DDW) and Wandering F*rd Stuperduties that adopted the same sh*tty brake problems that Chevy got rid of. Ok, Chevy IFS front ends "float"...quitcherbitchin' and buy some shocks.

Second choice, big-block gasser. I use a '99 burb 454. It doesn't suck. At all. Except for gas. 9-10mpg, sometimes 8 when towing. But, the price is right, and you can get one of these (or K2500 pickup w/454) very easy for $13K, just make sure it's '96-'99 to get the better 454. Same goes for the Dodge V10, there's a ton of those out there.

15 seconds on Autotrader.com

Gasser:
1995 Dodge Ram 2500 3/4 Ton Truck 4x4 Regular Cab
Price: $9500
Color: redlines and light grey ext
Miles: 74835
Distance: 10 Miles
VIN: 1B7KF26W7S5210598
Dealer: Cummings Lever View Inventory Email Seller

Diesel:
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 3/4 Ton Truck 4x4 Regular Cab
Close-out special! Drives strong!
Price: $7495
Color: Burgundy
Miles: 240552
Distance: 25 Miles
VIN: 1B7KF26C1R5644743
Dealer: Springville Auto See Our Specials Email Seller

And that was within 25 miles of Draper. Expand the search and really get some hits.

tweakeyjeep

Soccer Mom
1995 5.9L with Auto

Well... My dad has a 1995 Dodge 1500 with the 5.9L and an Auto.

He has towed everything from my bro's jeep to my jeep, to our trailer home piece of junk with a four-wheeler in the bed. The only problem he had was the bed sunk down and the front was sky high...

He was cruising 75 mph the entire way to moab (with the trailer and four-wheeler, don't get me wrong, this is a heavy setup, this isn't your everyday small trailer home) Even up hills it only dropped to maybe 65 at the lowest...

He is just about to clock over 200,000 miles on the original motor and TRANNY It's only had 3 problems with the truck the entire time it's been owned... Front bumper was replaced when a car suddenly stopped, had to swerve, hit some signs. The hubs on the front dana 44 wore out. The starter needed to be replaced... Geez, my jeep which has less than 80,000 miles on it has had more problems than that.

This truck not only is daily driven, but it tows a lot of stuff. Flattows my brother's jeep before he could get it running and all that driving from eagle mountain back and forth to rocklogic.

This truck even did hell's revenge! Did I mention it's stock and has only had 3 problems with it.

I don't see what's the deal with diesels, ya they have a helluva lot more torque (especially the new CTD 600 ft lbs of torque!!! :eek: ) and can get you going 90 while towing something, but why do you need to go that fast... It's just dumb, not safe... What if you blew out a tire, how ya gonna stop going that fast, you're gonna jackknife it!!!

Well anyways, my buddy has a 5.2L and a 5 speed manual, he hates the engine, it doesn't get any better gas mileage than the 5.9L and has a lot less power, at a minimum get the 5.9.

Good Luck.

Start the ranting!!!

tweakeyjeep

Soccer Mom
James K said:

I was following the truck when it did this, so shut it unless you have facts!!! I know it's a fact because my speedo in my jeep was at 60 and my speedo is off by 5, we were doing 65 up a hill.

James K

NO, I'm always like this
tweakeyjeep said:
I was following the truck when it did this, so shut it unless you have facts!!! I know it's a fact because my speedo in my jeep was at 60 and my speedo is off by 5, we were doing 65 up a hill.

bull****

Caleb

tweakeyjeep said:
Well... My dad has a 1995 Dodge 1500 with the 5.9L and an Auto.

He has towed everything from my bro's jeep to my jeep, to our trailer home piece of junk with a four-wheeler in the bed. The only problem he had was the bed sunk down and the front was sky high...

He was cruising 75 mph the entire way to moab (with the trailer and four-wheeler, don't get me wrong, this is a heavy setup, this isn't your everyday small trailer home) Even up hills it only dropped to maybe 65 at the lowest...

He is just about to clock over 200,000 miles on the original motor and TRANNY It's only had 3 problems with the truck the entire time it's been owned... Front bumper was replaced when a car suddenly stopped, had to swerve, hit some signs. The hubs on the front dana 44 wore out. The starter needed to be replaced... Geez, my jeep which has less than 80,000 miles on it has had more problems than that.

This truck not only is daily driven, but it tows a lot of stuff. Flattows my brother's jeep before he could get it running and all that driving from eagle mountain back and forth to rocklogic.

This truck even did hell's revenge! Did I mention it's stock and has only had 3 problems with it.

I don't see what's the deal with diesels, ya they have a helluva lot more torque (especially the new CTD 600 ft lbs of torque!!! :eek: ) and can get you going 90 while towing something, but why do you need to go that fast... It's just dumb, not safe... What if you blew out a tire, how ya gonna stop going that fast, you're gonna jackknife it!!!

Well anyways, my buddy has a 5.2L and a 5 speed manual, he hates the engine, it doesn't get any better gas mileage than the 5.9L and has a lot less power, at a minimum get the 5.9.

Good Luck.

Start the ranting!!!

well, according to your bro the engine is not doing too well and is likely going to need to be replaced soon...hmmm, let me put two and two together and take a wild guess and say that engine has been worked very hard (overworked I would say, and you just proved it with what you are saying)...the question is not wehter the truck will move stuff from point A to point B but rather how safely and effectively it will move it. The 1/2T vehicles are not mde to two loads like fullsize vehicles, big ole camp trailers, etc...they braking system for one is not up to par...I know you will say it would stop just fine, but those brakes were working their asses off inorder to stop the stuff. Trailer brakes do help but what happens when something happens to your trailer brakes and you no longer have them? (It does happen, and I have seen it happen a few times)

You talk about safety. I would rather be cruising next to Braden in his 3500 Cummin going 90 with a load then next to you going 65 with the same load. 1/2T dont have what it takes to safely tow like we need them to. Frames, Brakes, Wheelbase, suspension(you mentioned it squating way bad, know what that causes...thats right, loss of steering), etc are all not upto the task at hand.;)

For you xj_punk, I would get the 1/2T...you'll love it...I bet with a few mods you can maintain a good 10 mpg and 65 mph...do it and let us know how you like it.

James K

NO, I'm always like this
supergper said:
You talk about safety. I would rather be cruising next to Braden in his 3500 Cummin going 90 with a load then next to you going 65 with the same load. 1/2T dont have what it takes to safely tow like we need them to. Frames, Brakes, Wheelbase, suspension(you mentioned it squating way bad, know what that causes...thats right, loss of steering), etc are all not upto the task at hand.;)

BINGO

tweakeyjeep

Soccer Mom
supergper said:
well, according to your bro the engine is not doing too well and is likely going to need to be replaced soon...hmmm, let me put two and two together and take a wild guess and say that engine has been worked very hard (overworked I would say, and you just proved it with what you are saying)...the question is not wehter the truck will move stuff from point A to point B but rather how safely and effectively it will move it. The 1/2T vehicles are not mde to two loads like fullsize vehicles, big ole camp trailers, etc...they braking system for one is not up to par...I know you will say it would stop just fine, but those brakes were working their asses off inorder to stop the stuff. Trailer brakes do help but what happens when something happens to your trailer brakes and you no longer have them? (It does happen, and I have seen it happen a few times)

You talk about safety. I would rather be cruising next to Braden in his 3500 Cummin going 90 with a load then next to you going 65 with the same load. 1/2T dont have what it takes to safely tow like we need them to. Frames, Brakes, Wheelbase, suspension(you mentioned it squating way bad, know what that causes...thats right, loss of steering)...

For you xj_punk, I would get the 1/2T...you'll love it...I bet with a few mods you can maintain a good 10 mpg and 65 mph...do it and let us know how you like it.

You're right. We don't think the engine will last long, but for a vehicle worked that hard, it has lasted forever. It is a champ!

Ya, safety is a big issue for us, we didn't think that the load we had was unsafe going that speed. we didn't pass others, and we allowed other's to pass if they wanted to. I don't know how big of a load braden was towing, but still 90 is a bit fast especially for towing. We wouldn't dare tow anything that seems too big, for example we borrowed my dad's friend's Ford F-350 to tow my brothe'rs CJ and my brother's Land Rover on the same trailer, because the Dodge 1500 wouldn't handle it.

Thanks for the input.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
tweakeyjeep said:
Ya, safety is a big issue for us, we didn't think that the load we had was unsafe going that speed. we didn't pass others, and we allowed other's to pass if they wanted to. I don't know how big of a load braden was towing, but still 90 is a bit fast especially for towing. We wouldn't dare tow anything that seems too big, for example we borrowed my dad's friend's Ford F-350 to tow my brothe'rs CJ and my brother's Land Rover on the same trailer, because the Dodge 1500 wouldn't handle it.
Bah. If ya gotta go 90 for a few seconds to get outta the way of someone going faster, and your truck can handle it, do it.

Tweakey, your inexperience is glaring like the sun off MBryson's head. You get a few hours towing heavy trailers around and you'll understand why so many of us drive diesels. Take a look at the guys that tow a lot and check out what they are using. 90% are using diesels, and about 9% wish they were. The other 1% is just weird and prefer to burn gas at an incredible rate.

James K

NO, I'm always like this
RockMonkey said:
Bah. If ya gotta go 90 for a few seconds to get outta the way of someone going faster, and your truck can handle it, do it.

Tweakey, your inexperience is glaring like the sun off MBryson's head. You get a few hours towing heavy trailers around and you'll understand why so many of us drive diesels. Take a look at the guys that tow a lot and check out what they are using. 90% are using diesels, and about 9% wish they were. The other 1% is just weird and prefer to burn gas at an incredible rate.

:shawn:

Oh wants that in the background......................everybody chatting

GO ROCKMONKEY GO ROCKMONKEY :D

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
RockMonkey said:
Take a look at the guys that tow a lot and check out what they are using. 90% are using diesels, and about 9% wish they were. The other 1% is just weird and prefer to burn gas at an incredible rate.

I think it's safe to say I tow quite a bit, and never do I not fail to wish I had a different truck. Count me as a 9%-er.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
this thread is funny...
my issue is safety too... and gas mileage...
that spells D I E S E L to me, cummins to be exact.
but, we will see what happens ya know? i would love love love to have a cummins but if i can't find one when i need it i will settle for a 3/4 ton 5.9L auto. i think the 3/4 tons are great, just none of this v10 garbage!
also, i think my jeep will only weight 3500 lbs or less. that is an estimate.
stock 2 dr cherokees weigh in at like 3058 lbs... and that is a 4L... my 4 cyl has to be quite a bit lighter, so lets say it weighed 3000 at most in stock form.

well, i cut off everything except for the hood, some of the fenders, and i cut off the rockers and most of the floor next to the front seats... and i cut off the whole back end behind the front seats.. everything is gone practically!!!!

i need to get some recent pics posted... do i need imagestation to post? i know webshots won't host them.

nate

Status
Not open for further replies.