Dodge Ram 1500 on 37's, need advice

I just bought a 1500 on 37;s with a trailslayer 8" lift. It looks like whoever did it though used the original half ton axles and 3.55 gears. I am not sure, but teh hubs have the 5 bolt and the overdrive goes crazy at 40mph. I run about 2000rpm at 65 on the freeway so they have to be short gears. I want to put 3/4 axles and either 4.10'a or 4.56's under it. Id considere 4.88's, but they are super expensive here in Utah, everyone here thinks an axles is worth its weight in gold around here...Its bad enough I am going to have to spend almost $1000 just to get the axles I need.

What axles can I use? any 3/4 dodge work? will the diesel axles work? If anyone knows and or has some please let me know. Im a Suzuki guy so I have little dodge experience. Other than jsut the axles, what ewlse do i need to look at? Brakes? etc?

Thanks!

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Put 1 ton dodge axles under it. All the 8 lug ones are d60 front d70 rear. Many come stock with 4.10s.
You'll want to regear to 4.56s or 4.88
I've seen more than a few sets of late model unit bearing dodges at the junkyards

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
check in the mags, i feel like one of them did the '2500 axles into a 1500' swap not that long ago, (maybe within the last year??), and most everything bolted up

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
They put on some D60s from a 2500 on a 1500 on Extreme 4x4 a while ago. Ian said it was almost a direct swap.

awesome. So anything dodge 3/4 is a direct swap. thats what I need then. Now to find them...People here in Utah think the are worth their weight in gold. By the time I find the axles I will have nothing left for gears.... [they run about $1200 a set here if you can even find a matching set.]

Thanks guys!

one more question. I found a Rebuilt Dana 60 out of a Ford. Can I use this axle with a dodge dana60 with the same gears? The rear doesn't matter right? Its the front that needs to be out of a dodge so it bolts up right? The rear is jsut different shaped u bots worst case right?

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
one more question. I found a Rebuilt Dana 60 out of a Ford. Can I use this axle with a dodge dana60 with the same gears? The rear doesn't matter right? Its the front that needs to be out of a dodge so it bolts up right? The rear is jsut different shaped u bots worst case right?

i think it would be easier to find a pair of axles out of a 2500 that are matching to start with. might be a longer search, but itll be worth it when it comes down to the little things, like matching the brake valving, etc

Caleb

No, most likely you'll be cutting and welding new perches and shock tabs on the ford axle. Why would the u-bolts be a different shape?

I do not mind cutting and moving perches, I figured u bolts would be smaller or larger for different axles, or are ford Dana's exactly the same diameter as others of the same type?

Either way, I had a guy call this morning with a dana 60 in the from and a dana 70 rear i think? out of a 95 cummins. if they have 4:10's I think ill buy em. He wants $800 for the set. sound about right?

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
I do not mind cutting and moving perches, I figured u bolts would be smaller or larger for different axles, or are ford Dana's exactly the same diameter as others of the same type?

Either way, I had a guy call this morning with a dana 60 in the from and a dana 70 rear i think? out of a 95 cummins. if they have 4:10's I think ill buy em. He wants $800 for the set. sound about right?

Oh man thats a good combo and for 800 if they have 4.10's your set, my buddies got those axles except his rear is the hybrid dana 80 but he drives his dodge diesel like a drag car and they have held up well

Just need gears then...I guess...

Turns out from what I have been reading and according to the dealership: The Dana 44 and Crysler 9.25" i have is just as strong as the 3/4 versions of the same. They just lack the stronger brakes and 8 lug wheel pattern [that defiantly has stress benefits] So Unless I want 1 tons to do a bunch of Rock Crawling, the axle sI have are just fine for 37" tires. The shafts etc are just as strong and the same size as the 3/4 version of my truck. So... All I really need is a set of 4.56 gears, a couple of wheel seals [passenger side is leaking a bit], and an adjustable track bar. [mine keeps coming loose because of the angle and making an annoying 'pop' when I back up]

I have done Lockers in A suzuki and installed spools but never a mopar. Are they fairly easy? Do i need a larger carrier? [i would assume so] anyone have a used set =]?

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Turns out from what I have been reading and according to the dealership: The Dana 44 and Crysler 9.25" i have is just as strong as the 3/4 versions of the same. They just lack the stronger brakes and 8 lug wheel pattern [that defiantly has stress benefits] So Unless I want 1 tons to do a bunch of Rock Crawling, the axle sI have are just fine for 37" tires. The shafts etc are just as strong and the same size as the 3/4 version of my truck. So... All I really need is a set of 4.56 gears, a couple of wheel seals [passenger side is leaking a bit], and an adjustable track bar. [mine keeps coming loose because of the angle and making an annoying 'pop' when I back up]

I have done Lockers in A suzuki and installed spools but never a mopar. Are they fairly easy? Do i need a larger carrier? [i would assume so] anyone have a used set =]?

I don't agree with what the dealership has told you... Your current 1/2 ton front 44 may be similar to a 3/4 ton 44 (from a 2500 with a V6/V8) minus the bigger brakes and 8-lug pattern, although the tube diameter and thickness may be different.

The rear 9.25" is far from similar. For one, Dodge doesn't use the 9.25" in a 3/4 or 1 ton application, and to my knowledge, it was never offered in a full-float version (all Dodge 3/4-1 ton rear ends - Dana 60, 70, 80 - were full-float and 8-lug.) Full-float is a big benefit with big tires and big stresses - the bigger brakes will be very nice as well.

I would personally feel a bit inadequate with a full-size (i.e. heavy) truck and 37" tires on stock 1/2 ton axles unless the only driving you are doing is 100% pavement. BUT, there are lots of people who get away with it.

That deal for the '95 diesel truck Dana 60/70 combo sounds like a pretty good price, but make sure they are 4.10, because 3.55s were pretty common... (unless you are going lower than 4.10 anyways.) Plus, they will more or less bolt-in ... if your 1500 is newer, there may be different size bolts in the control arms, steering rod end tapers may be different, among a few other things. Oh, and you will need new u-bolts in the rear, and a conversion u-joint or different yoke. I'm sure there are other items to consider for the swap, but no major cutting/welding will be required.

Keep in mind, this is just my opinion...:)

I don't agree with what the dealership has told you... Your current 1/2 ton front 44 may be similar to a 3/4 ton 44 (from a 2500 with a V6/V8) minus the bigger brakes and 8-lug pattern, although the tube diameter and thickness may be different.

nope. Everything is the same in a large portion of the 3/4 tons. Same axle shafts, same diameer tubing everything. Obviously you can get heavier axles, He ist saying EVERY 3/4 is the same but the dealer is correct. A lot of 3/4 tons used the same axles as the 1/2 ton just with larger brakes and the 8 lug. Full float is typically the 1 tons and some of the HD 3/4 tons. up to a certain point only the one tons had a full float. considering this truck is not a rock crawler and never will be, I have no need for a full float 1 ton axle. All I was worried about was the 37" tires spinning half ton shafts, but apparently the half ton dana 44 shafts are the same as the 3/4 ton dana 44 shafts until you upgrade to dana 60's

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
nope. Everything is the same in a large portion of the 3/4 tons. Same axle shafts, same diameer tubing everything. Obviously you can get heavier axles, He ist saying EVERY 3/4 is the same but the dealer is correct. A lot of 3/4 tons used the same axles as the 1/2 ton just with larger brakes and the 8 lug. Full float is typically the 1 tons and some of the HD 3/4 tons. up to a certain point only the one tons had a full float. considering this truck is not a rock crawler and never will be, I have no need for a full float 1 ton axle. All I was worried about was the 37" tires spinning half ton shafts, but apparently the half ton dana 44 shafts are the same as the 3/4 ton dana 44 shafts until you upgrade to dana 60's

Ok... I never said the front shafts were different between 1/2 and 3/4 ton 44s, and I don't doubt that they are the same. I should have been more clear at first I guess. I personally wouldn't put 37s on a fullsize V8 truck even with a 3/4 ton Dana 44 if I was going to use it off road. I would opt for the 60, but that is because I like the peace of mind of the heavier duty parts, not because it is a necessity.

I do know for a fact that all 3/4 and 1 ton Dodges ('94-'02, which are all that will directly swap in your application...) had full-float rear axles. Perhaps you are confused as to what a full-float rear axle is? Dodge never used a semi-float rear in any trucks but their 1/2 tons (except maybe a 3/4 ton van? But that is irrellevant at this point...)

Just because someone has a job at the Dodge dealer certainly doesn't mean they can't give out incorrect information. Unfortunately, it does mean that they are more likely to be believed, even when they are wrong.:sick:

Believe what you want, but don't ask for advice if you don't want it.

:)

Apparently working for a dealership does make someone a bit more knowledgeable than not. I did ask for advice but I didn't ask for passive aggressive insults. No offense, but I think Ill go with the mechanic at the dealership and not someone who has contradicted themselves on a forum.

Last edited: