does anyone here build subwoofer boxes?

i build boxes and i was wondering if anyone had plans for a subwoofer box the mounts under the rear seat in a 06 chevy ext cab silverado? i am building this box for a buddie and i was wondering how i could do it.. i researched all over the net and i can find the box i wanna build just no plans.. i have always built the boxes in my personal cars/trucks, and in my buddies cars and trucks..
this is the box i kinda wanna build.
photo.jpg

thanks for your time
anything will help

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Not to be a smartass or anything, but if you've built other boxes, you can build that one. There's no difference in construction method.

yeah i have built other boxes but i got plans and built them i have made my own plans but at that time i this sweet program to design them.. but i cannot remember what the program was plus i would rather see if anyone had plans i could use to build a box but if all else fails i could build it by trial and error

Mug

PHORmerly
I've got a 2000 and if the interiors are similar, there's not a lot of room above the tranny tunnel and the back seat. So in that case I would just treat it as 2 seperate boxes; One for each side. You can still get the acoustics right as long as you go with a 10" sub or smaller. And it'll be easier on your mind to build 2 rectangle/cube things than one wierd 12 sided bastardizasion.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
I have built speaker boxes over the years and have books that show how to match the box volume to the speakers VAS for optimum performance. Most large woofers however need a lot of volume to work properly so might have to go with 10 inch or less. If you want to take a look at my books send me a PM.

well guys

i broke down and built it.. this is what i got so far, since trying to run 2 12's would be almost impossable to do i asked my buddie to run 10's instead. so i got to work on his box and this is what i got so far.

IMG_1492.jpg

IMG_1495.jpg

IMG_1499.jpg

IMG_1485.jpg

next i will be sanding it and making it look nice!

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
There are plenty of shallow mount and flat piston (voice coil outside of magnet) subs out there designed for small enclosures. It's good you fired them down. Did you just build it to the dimensions you had available or did you make an effort to match the volume with the Thiele-Smalls of the driver?

i just looked at a few pics of boxes that was made and just kinda figured out the best way for it... i have two kicker comp vr 10's that will fit in the perfectly.. plus kicker subs are better in a shallow made box.. i think my buddie is gona run these mtx compact subs, not sure but i yold hit if they sound like crap i will re build him a differant box. this box has the same amount of airspace as a truck wedge box. so i hope it sounds ok. if not it wouldnt be the first time i had to redo a box to make it better. i am pretty good at building boxes.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
well i just found out the cubic feet of the box and it is 0.8 which is the min for the kicker comp vr 10's. so it could sound good

hopefully. There is a lot more to box design than just slapping it together in a form that fits a space. Obviously you have the bear bones basic stuff like volume and port dimensions (on vented or bandpass), but on sealed boxes you still should account for standing wavelengths, and when it fires down like you have it essentially becomes bandpass which brings in acoustic coupling/acoustic cancellation and you get the flexability to tune it a little bit by adjusting the dimensions of that vent. You can also taylor it to the vehicle by taking some internal measurments to the windshield and to the listeners ear and measure for a 1/4 wavelength of the desired tuning frequency so that you can get the most output.

the sub is probably the least important part of the equation. You can make inexpensive subs sound awesome with a well thought out design and good clean power, and even the nicest sub in the world will sound like **** if you don't take the time to build a box to maximize it's specific characteristics and then even taylor it into the internal dimensions of the vehicle it's going in.

That all being said, in highly space limited situations like you have under a truck seat, it's becomes increasingly difficult to account for all of that stuff. and just getting a box to fit is an accomplishment of it's own---so good job. I had two 10's under the back seat of my dodge in a thermoformed box and it sounded good enough for me. If I were to go back I probably would have run a single 10 and created a vented box under the seat to use all of the available volume. That would have been louder and cleaner than the two 10's wedged into a box that wasn't made specifically for them.

I really miss the stereo in my dodge. :(

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
thats cool, ive toyed with doing this to my 03 chev, looks like the same back seat, Ill watch for the conclusion, as I may have to copy your idea.

yeah building boxes for trucks is a pain... in this case we was gona build it for the best sound in what lil space we had. in my pathfinder i am running two 15's in a sealed box but i have all the space in the world to play with. if it works good in his truck i might build another one and sell it for the cost of the wood and glue and nails.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
until you have to listen to them ;)

They are just so inefficient due to the mass of the cone. I guess they move a lot of air with a minimum number of drivers, but even SPL competitors go to higher volume of smaller subs. Have you measured the SPL in your Nissan? I used to hit 142.x with 2 10's back when I was like 18--I think I would punch myself in the face if I ever built a system like that which was bass just for the sake of bass.