dont go on the burn scars....

krany

kranberry
what do you guys think of this?
https://www.ksl.com/?sid=24507305&n...mp-fire-burn-scar&fm=home_page&s_cid=queue-15

i live in the area and think part of this is pretty dumb, when the blm re seeded the area they wiped out every road(tilled over it and re seeded). ive seen what they have done to the area and i think its caused more damage than anything, when i come back from ejs i'll post some pics of their re-seeding, blocking of the roads, and "erosion control". hopefully soon they let people back up there, theres cool stuff to see up a couple of the canyons you cant get to anymore cause of the burn scar being fenced and blocked off( abandoned mx track, bunch of abandoned buildings etc etc)

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I went up Israel canyon in late fall prior to the reseeding and it looked like the fire wiped out a lot of what was there at the start of the canyon. They aren't really clear on what is closed off in the story. I never leave the power line road or the Israel canyon road so the question in my mind is have they shut those down? Both seem to me to be required so they couldn't shut them down. Why the Sheriff and not Saratoga PD doing tickets? They aren't clear on what they are doing citations for so I wonder if they are targeting shooters and don't have the guts to say it. I wish they would make a range so they could have some alternative location people would feel comfortable going, remove the guesswork of is it a legal spot or not. I hear enough shooting behind my house most weekends they would be plenty busy.

I'm not planning on going up into the area anytime soon, I'm not a fan of going into the hills in early spring, mud and steep roads aren't something I do if I can avoid it.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Bare dirt on a slope is crazy fragile, especially when it's wet. Tire tracks left up or across a slope before the vegatation stabilizes the soil have the potential to cause unnatural erosion patterns, and I suppose they think that threatens the houses below.

Houndoc

If everyone stayed on the roads, probably would not have to be closed. Probably a case where the access community shoots themselves in the foot once again.

Sad.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
The Crossroads Journal had an article on this (Mar 21, 2013)
burn area.jpg

the closed area looks like it is directly above the Jacobs Ranch area where they had the flooding problems and above the Saratoga Hills area. I'm not sure how they are dealing with the power line access in the area or if they are just ignoring the issue for now.

krany

kranberry
2015?! thats quite some time. yea its all above Jacobs ranch area(where i live), the flooding sucked but im not sure if its gonna happen again, they dug a huge trench that goes all the way to a canal which leads down to utah lake area, we'll see what happens when the spring rains come.