DVD Player Recommendations

Cory

I know some of you have backgrounds in electronics, so I thought I'd ask for a DVD player recommendation.

We got an Onkyo HT-S780 for Christmas (see link below). So I'm looking to get a new DVD player to go with it. I'm looking to spend less than $300 (preferably under $200 unless the extra money provides a significant improvement).

Is there a big difference in the picture quality from one DVD player to the next? Also is there a better DVD player to maxamize the quality of the sound sent to the receiver? I've seen something about HDMI and digital sound, but I'm not that familiar with what that is or if it is important. Right now we only have a TV with a cable (coax) hook-up and RCA hook-ups, but an upgrade to a new HDTV LCD rear projection TV is in the plans (probably 1 to 2 years away), so I'd want to plan for that as well. Also on a minor note, I would want a black finish to match the receiver.

http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=HT-S780&class=Systems&p=i

So does anyone have any recommendations or insight on a good DVD player?

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
HDMI is a video connection used for HD. There are 2 types of connections used to transfer digital audio from your DVD player to your receiver. One is fiber optic, and the other is digital coax. They are essentially the same, and some people think one is better than the other. I think on paper digital coax is a little better, but I don't think there is enough difference to be audible to the human ear.

Personally, I think the panasonic dvd players are really nice. We have an Onkyo 6 disk changer here that would match pretty well with your new onkyo system. A good panasonic player starts around 70 bucks ( http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Pana...20208/catOid/-12872/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do ) and the onkyo 6 disk is 179 ( http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Onky...99145/catOid/-12872/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do )

Some DVD players boast about HDMI 'upconversion'. Honestly, you're really only as good as you original signal and the upconverting dvd players dont' really yield noticably better image quality than the others. If you're TV has component imput ( red, blue, green) then you should deffinately use that to get the best possible picture quality.

Cody

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
We got a Panasonic 5 disc DVD Player/Theater System for christmas to complement the plasma tv and I'm pretty impressed with it. If you want something that combines a DVD/CD player, surround sound, radio, etc this seemed to be a pretty good deal. I believe you can find it for around $400.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Greg said:
We got a Panasonic 5 disc DVD Player/Theater System for christmas to complement the plasma tv and I'm pretty impressed with it. If you want something that combines a DVD/CD player, surround sound, radio, etc this seemed to be a pretty good deal. I believe you can find it for around $400.

A plasma screen with only $400 in Audio supporting it seems pretty out of balance. It is probably not as bad as the year I spent with pretty much my current surround HiFi and a little 25" TV though.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
bobdog said:
A plasma screen with only $400 in Audio supporting it seems pretty out of balance. It is probably not as bad as the year I spent with pretty much my current surround HiFi and a little 25" TV though.

The TV wasn't too spendy and it actually seems to be a good combination. Plus, both components are Panasonic. If there's one thing I hate, it's having an entertainment system that has a bunch of mismatched pieces.

BTW... retail on the audio is normally $500, it was on sale. :D

Jeeptj98

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Greg said:
The TV wasn't too spendy and it actually seems to be a good combination. Plus, both components are Panasonic. If there's one thing I hate, it's having an entertainment system that has a bunch of mismatched pieces.

BTW... retail on the audio is normally $500, it was on sale. :D

Every componant in my system is from different makers except that 2 of 5 power amps are the same make. I really think you could get over the mismatch once you sat down and listened. The speakers are all from the same manufacturer except the sub though and are a great sonic match. I do think that is important.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
bigtruck said:
http://http://www2.panasonic.com/we...rogram=11002&cachePartner=7000000000000005702

This is the one that I have. Its an got the HDMI and will put out 720p/1080i. With a crt tv I would say there is not much diffrence but with a HDMI capable tv there is definetly a difrence in picture quality.

His tv doesn't have hdmi input and dvd is only 480p anyways. You can't 'really' make something from nothing. When you have them hooked up next to each other (that is upconverting and normal progressive scan dvd players) you really can't tell much difference.

Cody

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Cody said:
. You can't 'really' make something from nothing.

Cody

The old super mega ultra high dollar video prosessor/doubler type things can do wonders on even old VHS sources. Not sure there would be any reason anymore but the ones I saw were amazing.

bigtruck

Cody said:
His tv doesn't have hdmi input

Cody

Quote Right now we only have a TV with a cable (coax) hook-up and RCA hook-ups, but an upgrade to a new HDTV LCD rear projection TV is in the plans (probably 1 to 2 years away), so I'd want to plan for that as well.Quote

I still think there is a diffrence in picture quality between the upconverting and progressive scan.

Last edited:

Jeremy

total tacoma points: 162
i just want to get a DVD player that doesnt cost me a small fortune and will last more than a year. it seems like i have to buy a new one every 10 to 12 months.

i think i will look into the panasonic that cody recomends.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
bigtruck said:
Quote Right now we only have a TV with a cable (coax) hook-up and RCA hook-ups, but an upgrade to a new HDTV LCD rear projection TV is in the plans (probably 1 to 2 years away), so I'd want to plan for that as well.Quote

I still think there is a diffrence in picture quality between the upconverting and progressive scan.

cool. like i said, side by side there isn't much difference. It makes me happy that marketers can still convince america's savvy consumers that snake oil still works because thats what my degrees are in and theoretically my future. the fact that a 480p video in a progressive scan dvd player with component input renders the same image as an 'upconverting' dvd player with the same 480p disk with a more expensive (i.e. I make more money on it sucka) hdmi cable is merely a matter of science.

It would be kind of like a snowboarder doing a 360 and telling the judge that he "upconverted" his 360 to a 540 because his board was super nice. Ya, uhh, well you still only did a 360.

Cody

Cory

Cody said:
HDMI is a video connection used for HD. There are 2 types of connections used to transfer digital audio from your DVD player to your receiver. One is fiber optic, and the other is digital coax. They are essentially the same, and some people think one is better than the other. I think on paper digital coax is a little better, but I don't think there is enough difference to be audible to the human ear.

We have an Onkyo 6 disk changer here that would match pretty well with your new onkyo system. ...the onkyo 6 disk is 179 ( http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Onky...99145/catOid/-12872/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do )

Cody

Thanks for the info Cody. I ordered the Onkyo, mainly so it would match the receiver. Since my TV only has RCA (Red, Yellow, and white) plugs, should I connect the DVD sound out to the Receiver with fiber optic (or digital coax) and connect the DVD player directly to the TV with the yellow RCA video connection? The manual that came with the receiver said I should connect the video through the receiver, but I couldn't get a picture doing it that way (I was testing using an old DVD player) using the RCA video connection. Maybe the new DVD player will work better through the receiver, but if not is it worth messing with the video through the receiver, or just connect directly to the TV?

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Cory said:
Thanks for the info Cody. I ordered the Onkyo, mainly so it would match the receiver. Since my TV only has RCA (Red, Yellow, and white) plugs, should I connect the DVD sound out to the Receiver with fiber optic (or digital coax) and connect the DVD player directly to the TV with the yellow RCA video connection? The manual that came with the receiver said I should connect the video through the receiver, but I couldn't get a picture doing it that way (I was testing using an old DVD player) using the RCA video connection. Maybe the new DVD player will work better through the receiver, but if not is it worth messing with the video through the receiver, or just connect directly to the TV?

sometimes it's nice to run everything through the receiver and use it to switch between the different video sources. It's not tha big of a deal if you don't. As for the audio from the dvd to the reciever, you just need to see what outputs (I can check in a bit--a little busy now) the dvd player is (either digital coax, fiber optic, or both) and then buy the cord to connect it. You can use the yellow composit (rca) for video, but you won't be taking advantage of the full quality of the dvd unless you have a tv with component inputs. If you use an svideo its better than rca, but not quite as good as component.

hth

Cody

way2nosty

Cody said:
sometimes it's nice to run everything through the receiver and use it to switch between the different video sources. It's not tha big of a deal if you don't. As for the audio from the dvd to the reciever, you just need to see what outputs (I can check in a bit--a little busy now) the dvd player is (either digital coax, fiber optic, or both) and then buy the cord to connect it. You can use the yellow composit (rca) for video, but you won't be taking advantage of the full quality of the dvd unless you have a tv with component inputs. If you use an svideo its better than rca, but not quite as good as component.

hth

Cody

-seriously impressed looks like you know your SCheit-

I skipped the High end DVD player and went strait to a PVR - DVR (whatever) I used a fancy rack mount machine raid 10 etc, but an inexpensive PC with a fast disk and A DVI Card with a HDMI-out adapter. then you can rip store - torrent if you have to - and play at will any title you like. Add a Tuner card and a IR card, and you have a full blown DVR for about $400

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I'm not particularly knowledgable about the computer side, but I have the ATI 2006 all in wonder video card that I'm supposed to be able to use as a DVR. Haven't had a chance to play with it, but sometime this week I'll try and figure it out....

way2nosty

Cody said:
I'm not particularly knowledgable about the computer side, but I have the ATI 2006 all in wonder video card that I'm supposed to be able to use as a DVR. Haven't had a chance to play with it, but sometime this week I'll try and figure it out....

I have the same card I originally used it with a ata 133 drive, but the bus speed caused glitches writing at 5.3 MBps CBR MPEG4. some of the software that comes with it is pretty cool. I ended up going to a SATA Raid 10 array on a cerc 6 controller. it uses a write then stripe mechanism that increases write speed because it can effectively write to the buffer on the card then the card stripes to the drives. I put a 512Mb ECC Chip on the Raid card.