Easy (?) Fab work needed ASAP

CobraNutt

I need a way to mount my big kayak onto my trailer, and I've come up with an idea or two. I can have the place that built my trailer for me put it together but they're buried and can't get to it any time soon. I'm really wanting to get this thing on the water!

Here's the scoop. I need 1' square cross-bars to mount my kayak cradles. I want them to go across the top of the trailer deck and down each side where I can pin them to the trailer. Total span of 68-7/8" inside to inside of end-plate. Needs to be able to support ~200 lbs.

I have come up with two different ways to go about this...Not sure which of my two methods would be easier, but either one will work.

1. A single bar across with a plate welded to the end of the bar that I can pin to the outside deck edge of the trailer. It would need a piece welded at 90 degrees to sit on the deck of the trailer to keep it from rotating. I think this would be the easiest.

I've mocked up an exact replica so you can get an idea of what the heck I'm talking about! Haha! :rofl:
Obviously, the bar would extend all the way across...
20150505_203815-M.jpg

20150505_203904-M.jpg

20150505_203924-M.jpg

20150505_203937-M.jpg

2. Square tube welded to angle piece and then welded at 90* to go across the width of the trailer. Again...a perfect scale mock-up for you... :)
20150505_202408-M.jpg

20150505_202430-M.jpg

20150505_202521-M.jpg

Either way, I need two of them...one up front, one in back. Built like my mock-ups, they'd be interchangeable.

So...Any takers? Give me a shout with some pricing. I'll paint/finish the pieces...I just need them fabbed up for me! I still need to determine exact height I want on the bar, but that should be easy to sort out. I can drag the trailer over to make sure things fit nicely...preferably in the SLC area. Lemme know! Thanks!

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Gary,

I'm up for it since you have the templates set up that way. All I'd suggest is make all the widths match available flat stock (1",2",3",etc.)

-frieed

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I can do it this week too. I'd prefer option 1, just because. :) I don't think I want to lift any 1' square tube though, can we make it smaller since it only has to hold a couple hundred pounds? ;)

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
If Carl is available, roll with him cause he'll make it purdy.
I'm just a hack with a hot melt glue gun :D

CobraNutt

I can do it this week too. I'd prefer option 1, just because. :) I don't think I want to lift any 1' square tube though, can we make it smaller since it only has to hold a couple hundred pounds? ;)
Thanks Carl! Ahhh crap! LOL! I missed that! Yes...1" might be more manageable! Although... do I believe in adding a little extra safety factor if possible! :greg:

When might you be available? I'm tied up tomorrow night...I might be able to swing by tonight or Friday late afternoon after work...or most anytime over the weekend. What works best for you, and what do you anticipate this will cost me?
If it's easier...call or text me: 801-580-1142 Thank you sir!
If Carl is available, roll with him cause he'll make it purdy.
I'm just a hack with a hot melt glue gun
biggrin.gif
Ha! I almost broke out my hot glue gun to build my mock-up! I settled for some high quality dollar-store tape instead! Thanks for the offer, Eric! I still owe you from that all-day-in-your-garage fiasco!

Last edited:

CobraNutt

Thank you Carl!! You took my arts and crafts project and made exactly what I wanted!
Now I just need to decide if I want to paint or powdercoat them. I'm thinking powdercoat,
but it depends on how much it's going to cost me. :)
20150511_182230-M.jpg 20150511_182256-M.jpg 20150511_182303-M.jpg 20150511_182323-M.jpg
20150511_193633-M.jpg 20150511_193658-M.jpg 20150511_193840-M.jpg 20150511_193735-M.jpg