EJS07 - Monday April 2nd, Pritchett Canyon

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
We met up with BroncoMama and YellowBronco on Monday with the intention of running a trail. We previously had plans on spending the entire weekend wheeling with them but found out a week before that our reservations didn't start until Monday. At least we were able to run one trail with them before they headed back home. :)

I don't remember what time we started up the trail, could have been around noon or so. I had my son riding with me, so I didn't take a lot of pictures, but we did capture some good video of us going up the RockPile.

We made short work of the trail, from the bottom to the very top and back down again. The trail was almost wide open. We only ran into a few people the whole day.

Here are the few pictures that I took:

BroncoMama gettin it on Rocker Knocker.
100_3796.JPG

Here's my boy, always sleeping through the good stuff
100_3797.JPG

Beatiful day, perfect temperature. I love the scenery in Pritchett Canyon
100_3800.JPG

We ran into a group just ahead of us at Rock Pile. There were a couple pimped rigs, might as well snap a pic.
100_3803.JPG

This guy gave it many good tries at what sounded like full throttle. We were waiting for some carnage, but he eventually bounced up it.
100_3804.JPG

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Here is the video of us driving the Rock Pile
[YOUTUBE]uI36tXIWO2o[/YOUTUBE]

Here's my boy taking a walk at the top of Pritchett. :)
100_3808.JPG

South view
100_3810.JPG

And heading back down the trail. :) Great day in my book. :)
100_3813.JPG

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
did you come down rocker knocker, or do its bypass on the way back?

You know, everytime I've come back down it's been down rocker knocker except this time. We just breezed down the bypass.

Out of all the times I've come down it, I've only done a wheel stand once. Probably wasn't paying attention. But then again, everytime I've driven down it, it's been a different experience. Such an oddball obstacle.

sbr

what about coming down the obsticle just before rockpile ? do you just go straight down it or run on the side ?

yellowbronco

Cuts Through Grease !!!
No kidding! I'd say it's the new tires on Shane's rig, but after seeing the Bronco's tires, that must not be the case. :p
Hey now-_-
It's all about tire pressure and a more contact with the rock because of less tread.:p
what about coming down the obsticle just before rockpile ? do you just go straight down it or run on the side ?

You mean this one:Easter Jeep 2007 167 (Medium).jpg
We drove down to the left, it was getting a little late in the day when we turned around so playing was off and rallying back to the Moab Brewery for a satisfying dinner was key! It did get a wee bit tippy though.

yellowbronco

Cuts Through Grease !!!
Man! you guys made the rockpile look easy!

It took a lot of work to photoshop that!

Nice tires!
Why thank you Carl.

You know, everytime I've come back down it's been down rocker knocker except this time. We just breezed down the bypass.

Out of all the times I've come down it, I've only done a wheel stand once. Probably wasn't paying attention. But then again, everytime I've driven down it, it's been a different experience. Such an oddball obstacle.

Thanks for such a fun afternoon Shane, it was great to see you and Amy. Caulen is getting so big too!!

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin

The way that I've always ran that section is now nearly impossible without tipping over. The sand and rock that use to be piled up in the wash has been long washed away and eroded that the main track is basically down into the wash and back up the wall.

I'm probably narrow enough to drive down against the wall (right side, traveling down) but I've always taken the wall side with my tires down to the sand pile (now gone) and done a rear dig to bring the rear of the vehicle slowly down to drive out. Now days it's just a straight shot down the wall into the wash. Not much technical driving involved anymore... but there still is a little pucker factor.

broncopro

Makin' the rockpile look like a cake walk:) nice work.
Great photos. Those wide angle shots really make you feel like your there. Great scenery, and of course the wheelin' isn't that bad either jk.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin

broncopro

Yeah, we went on Lower Helldorado! What happened to the cherokee? I'm sure you guys got some laughs at me going through lower Helldorado open in the front and rear.:rofl: Not to mention the fact that being in a full size Bronco made some of those spots a little tight. I swear that it took us forever to get through that because of that group in front of us. I've got some video of you guys, I'll have to post it up.:D

Last edited:
Walking the obsticalls?

I wanted to bring back this old thread to ask a question about running Pritchett.
I noticed the awesome pic of herzog's boy sleeping in the rig and it got me to thinking. I will be running Pritchett for the first time at EJS this year and the wife and my two year old will be with me in the rig. We don't like for the boy to be in the rig when there is a decent chance of rolling or anything that could cause him to jerk his head really hard.
So my question is can the more difficult obsticall's (RK, RP...) be walked (on foot) relatively easily?

Last edited:

jpest

Anti-Social Networking
I wanted to bring back this old thread to ask a question about running Pritchett.
I noticed the awesome pic of herzog's boy sleeping in the rig and it got me to thinking. I will be running Pritchett for the first time at EJS this year and the wife and my two year old will be with me in the rig. We don't like for the boy to be in the rig when there is a decent chance of rolling or anything that could cause him to jerk his head really hard.
So my question is can the more difficult obsticalls (RK, RP...) be walked realtivly easaly?

If you know the right line, Rocker Knocker and Rock Pile can be walked depending on your rigs capabilities. That said, there are 4 or 5 obstacles on Pritchett that can be trouble if your not familiar with them, Most of the good obstacles do not have bypasses either.