elk hunting

Robert T

Skull Designs Euros
I got a late season cow tag and this morning after hiking in about 7 miles had a herd 400 yards in front of me. Trying to figure out how im going to get closer without being seen and BOOM, someone shooting a thousand yards away nails one in the butt. Scares the herd farther up the mountain into the thickest crap there is. It really frustrates me when people take really long shots across the whole mountain side, with out knowing who might be around or under your shots. Sorry just had to vent a little:mad:

lewis

Fight Till You Die
Had the same thing happen to me. We had bugled a bull to us for about an hour and he was just coming into the open meadow about 50 yards away. He was so loud and was so close and someone fired a shot from who knows where and he was gone. It was also up in Idaho and we hadn't seen anyone for 5 days. Never been elk huntng since.

Caleb

My bro-in-law had a similar experience this year. He pulled up on a heard about 5:30am...too early to shoot, so he backed off a bit and was waiting till it was legal to shoot, about 30 mins before it was legal to shoot some guys pulled up on the same heard, instead of waiting they jumped out and shot (killing three). Pissed my bro-in-law off pretty good, got their plates and turned them in. When they asked him what he was doing (when getting their plates) he told them he was just getting his limited entry tag for next year :rofl:

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Sounds about right for hunting in UT ;)

Growing up in MT I would go out in the woods and never see a soul. After moving to UT, one weekend I was out camping with the family on the first weekend of the bowhunt. I saw 9 groups of bowhunters on an early morning walk :rolleyes:

scootrrydr

That is why I switched to Muzzleloading...the rifle hunts sucked! Way too many hunters out there shooting rifles in every direction....now they are changing it to a early and late hunts and sticking the Muzzleloading in the middle of them....WTF? Maybe I will go back to rifle and try to get an early tag....???!!!!

Houndoc

I think that is the worst trend in hunting right now. Even in hunting magazines so much of the talk is about how long of shots were used to take an animal. The longer the shot, the more they brag.

Poor sportsmanship with too high a risk of a wounded animal that can not be recovered.

What will it take to bring back the art of stalking or the common sense to pass up a poor quality shot?

Robert T

Skull Designs Euros
for a deer, i will take a 400 yard shot without thinking about it, but with elk i wont take a shot if its over 200 yards, they are big animals with tough skin to get a bullet through. Ive shot a cow at 100 yds and tracked it for 10 hrs and it was a chest shot that came out the other side and left a hole the size of a softball. I like the game of stalking in to see how close i can get into them without being caught