emissions question

BronkoRob

i have a 73 bronco frame and running gear with an 88 ranger body on it. ive heard i can easily register it as an 88 ranger BUT!!...needs to meet emissions for 88. ive heard stories of this being done now i need to know the truth. can you tune or DE-tune a 2bbl 302 to meet 88 standards?

V-DAWG

someday
I know nothing, as my statement will show, but why wouldn't you just register it as the 73? You could argue it is a 73, because it is. Then you don't have to pay jack for taxes or insurance. :confused:

I would think you need a catalytic convertor and all other emissions equipment to get the vehicle up to par for 1988. If you have that, I think it may be possible to pass it as an 88.

BronkoRob

thats what i figured i could do...at least thats what half the dmv guys i talk to say and the other half say something else. so i did a little homework...months after i get this project rolling of course. and goto utahdmv.org and there are 2 ways to register this contraption. as a reconstructed vehicle where the year of the vehicle is determined at the appearance. so if it looks like an 88 than it is an 88. god forbid they get someone who know anything about cars and looks underneath and relizes that there is more 73 stuff than 88. OR i register it as a special construction...i sounds like a lot of work and a pain in the ass but if its what i have to do i guess im stuck with it. with that i have to have TONS of paper work showing what all the major components are and where they came from, THAN it sounds like i have to write up a report on the construction of the vehicle, and it they see fit that it is enough of something else it will register as that.
now has anyone done this? am i reading this wrong? because ive heard rumors of the govt every now and than wording things to confuse you. but i refuse to believe that....right?!
ANY help will be appreciated

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
I built a couple of these Franken trucks a few years back for my dad and brother. One was a 78 suburban with an 85 body, the other was a 78 Blazer with an 82 body. When we did it the rule was that the year was determined by the frame and running gear so both ended up as reconstructed 78s. The last time I read their rules it appears that they have changed it to read it is what it looks like. I am glad I did it under the old rules because the trucks do pass 78 emissions but not 85 or 82 (which the shops try to run based on the stickers on the door).
Dave