Engine rebuilding questions

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
I am putting my Jeep stroker motor together and had some questions for the motor rebuild gurus. I have read that the rockers and push rods on a 4.0 motor should go back into the positions that they came from. I had things organized but when the parts came back from the machine shop they cleaned everything that I had in marked bags and put everything into a box. So now I can't put things back in the original spots. The head was cracked so it has a different head and new lifters so is it that important that they go back into the original locations ?
Also I have read that head bolts should only be used twice. When a rebuild is done with used bolts they are supposed to paint the old bolts. My bolts came from a rebuilt stroker but had no paint on them, do most shops follow this rule or replace them ?
The manual I am using says to coat the head gasket, however I have been told that the newer gaskets should be installed dry.
Any thoughts ?

UFAB

Plastic gauge everything. All your bearings at least. Always replace head bolts.

Get familiar with torque wrench

LJENS

^^ x2

As far as coating your gasket, I've done it both ways, and I can't say if there's any noticeable difference.
And, since you don't have any frame of reference for your rockers and rods, just put them back in.

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
if you can put the pushrods/rockers back how they were you definitely should, but if you can't it really isn't going to matter... I wouldn't be the slightest bit worried about re using head bolts if they're in good condition. If you're really worried about it then just find new head bolts.... even a 4.0L stroker is a pretty dang low performance motor. it's not a 500hp 4.0L V12... If the bolts torque up correctly and don't feel like they're stretching and not tightening then you're fine. Carefully inspect the threads. If they don't smoothly thread in the threads might be stretched. Look closely for necking of the shank too.
As for the head gasket, you can give them a light coat of hylomar spray, I probably wouldn't bother. I'd do whatever the mfgr suggests. Most gaskets already have sealant on them where they need it. By far the most important thing is to have the block and head both decked.

Talk to the guys at Cleggs machine in Orem (center and geneva road) they do a TON of 4.0L stroker builds.

Last edited:

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Talk to the guys at Cleggs machine in Orem (center and geneva road) they do a TON of 4.0L stroker builds.[/QUOTE]

That's who I had do the machine work. They milled the head and deck when they did all of the rest of the machine work. I also had them install the crank, cam and pistons so all I have to do now is assemble the rest of it.

R

rockdog

Cleggs knows their stuff. That's who I've used in the past. I've reused head bolts with no issues in the past.

4554x4

always modifing something
Here is the lowdown on head bolts. Put them against a straightedge. If they are stretched you can tell. I have reused hundreds of so called one use only bolts.