Epic Southern Utah Excursion

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
is this trip going to happen again next year, or what?

what was the thought on who can go, what are the vehicle requiremnts??

I doubt I'll be doing that same route again as soon as next year... but others might? It makes for a great loop back to Moab though. The trip was planned at a couple of parties and the only vehicle requirements were to make sure yours could make it.

If you decide to plan a similar trip, I would be more than happy to share our planning information. We decided when/where we wanted to go and I drew up an itinerary from there... we were always withing ~1/2 hour or so of our schedule over the 5 day period. Turned out better than I could have imagined given the distances we needed to cover and the amount of chill time we wanted back at camp.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
is this trip going to happen again next year, or what?

what was the thought on who can go, what are the vehicle requiremnts??

Next year we're doing something else, but the map is above and I'm sure Kurt would be more than happy to share his itinerary w/ GPS coordinates of all the places we went and/or camped.

Vehicle requirements were a little looser than peepicular requirements.

It was a select group of friends that went. We weren't trying to exclude anyone but didn't want it to become a free for all with 15 vehicles belonging to people we don't know. It was hard enough keeping 7 rigs together and finding camping space for them all, any more would have been impossible I think.

erocrocks

so it didnt look liek it was all that tough of trails., more just lots of miles on rough roads, i saw the stock runner, how did he fair, besides that creek crossing?

Brett

Meat-Hippy
so it didnt look liek it was all that tough of trails., more just lots of miles on rough roads, i saw the stock runner, how did he fair, besides that creek crossing?

There were a few places to play around on, but as you said, it was mostly dirt roads. The spot where the U joint let go was on Impossible Hill. Just a combination of big rocks and big tires on a 260x joint. Cody might have a picture or two that can show it better.

EDIT: What Runner? ;) The 80 did fine everywhere else.

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor

All pretty basic trails... the most technical stuff was the tail end of Lockhart where it is a 3.5-4 rated section. However there are two different "realms" of hard. For me, it is just as "hard" to pack/prepare for 5 days of vehicle reliant travel, as it is to do a "hard" trail for a couple hours. Totally different, but difficult in their own realm.

That 4Runner was actually a Land Cruiser, e-lockers in both axles and very capable in their stock form. However he did add a few new dents to his collection, thankfully just his running boards.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
We had 4 rigs drop into Impossible Hill and 2 made it out successfully 1 broke while on strap and the other was strapped out.

Other than that, the most difficult section was the end of lockhart and maybe elephant hill.

iceaxe

Backroad Adventurer
Bravo you guys! No captions needed as this brings back fond memories of our 05 Loose Screws Tour, We didn't do a Tour this year due to conflicts but I'm glad somebody was out there running expedition style through the backcountry! Thanks for the report.

If I'm not mistaken, these shots are the same spot near the end of lockhart.

100_1022.jpg

Just something cool about a huge 4x4 warning sign in the middle of nowhere!
IMGP1798.jpg

Those of you expressing interest, I highly recommend a simular trip! There are a few different ways to approach it. Three to Five vehicles would be ideal. Bring Extra Fuel

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
...I'm downloading some pics right now, so I'll post up more in the morning. Gotta share right?

Share them with me first!!! I want to reserve a couple for a potential Compass article. If anyone else has photos, LMK if you would... I need 5-10 really good shots, high resolution for a writeup. Thanks!

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Sounds like a great trip. What was the deal on them refusing to sell fuel?

Wait for the magazine article :D

I'll give you the short version... the gal went ape on one member of our group for driving "too fast" and endangering her animal freinds??? She was all over the place, wouldn't sell us anything, didn't have ice, then sold us anything we wanted including ice. But if we wanted fuel, she said come back tomorrow.

My mouth is sealed (and fingers too)... I'm waiting to hear back from the U4 Compass Editor to see if he wants the story... otherwise I'll have it posted to my website within the week.

Other attendees, please don't divulge too many details, I want folks to be anticipating an article should Seth decide to use it ;)

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Its on... Seth is interested in the story... so keep the details & pics MUM!!! MUM is the word!

But if you think you can explain the whole mudflap thing in a suitable way... feel free ;) I was already in bed that night... I'm out of the loop!

Brett

Meat-Hippy
Its on... Seth is interested in the story... so keep the details & pics MUM!!! MUM is the word!

But if you think you can explain the whole mudflap thing in a suitable way... feel free ;) I was already in bed that night... I'm out of the loop!

I'm out on that as well. Didn't hear how it came about either.

Kurt, is he interested in running an article on the whole trip or just that incident?