Epoxy Floors?

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Isn't there someone on here that does epoxy floors for garages?

I have a buddy in Herriman that just finished a garage and needs it done.

TIA.

Last edited:

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I was looking at this last week and found a youtube video of a guy putting down this stuff. I can't find the video now but reddit seems to like it because its 100% epoxy. I'm thinking about doing this myself with our new place. Apparently diamond grinding is better than acid etching and if you have big expansion joints you shouldn't fill them with caulk because the epoxy won't stick to it.

Caleb

I'm considering doing an epoxy floor or a stained concrete in my gun room and gun vault. If you find someone, I'd be interested in talking to them as well.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Epoxy floors aren't that hard as long as you prep them properly. I used to put them down when I worked for ABC paint.

Looks like I should start doing them. :)

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I was looking at this last week and found a youtube video of a guy putting down this stuff. I can't find the video now but reddit seems to like it because its 100% epoxy. I'm thinking about doing this myself with our new place. Apparently diamond grinding is better than acid etching and if you have big expansion joints you shouldn't fill them with caulk because the epoxy won't stick to it.

I saw that brand at Lowes was trying to figure out why its so much more expensive. That explains the price difference the rustoleum stuff is water based.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I did my own (with Mesha's help). It wasn't really all that hard, just kinda scary and time consuming. I did use a 100% epoxy, Armor Garage IIRC.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I did it. 5 years ago in my garage. Still looks good. Don't use a waterbase one it will suck.

I etched my floor, used concrete patcher for the cracks (not the expansion joints) and used a 2 part oil based epoxy, high voc nasty fumed goooood stuff. Ordered it from the pro side at Lowe's. The concrete will chip before this stuff comes up.

Make sure you spend lots of time prepping.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
I bought the kid at home depot and did the ex's garage when we moved in 7 yrs ago and it still looked great last I saw it. it came with a citric cleaner to get the grease off the cement at first.

Pile of parts

how well does epoxy hold up to weld spatter ?
This has been my concern, along with cutting/grinding sparks. I have not heard good reports of it holding up. However, not sure what kind of epoxy they were using. I'll have to do some more research as I'd love to have it in the new shop.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
There has been plenty of that on my floor. Generally a high concentration of weld spatter dropping on it will make the whole area look "baked"....kinda like a dirty spot that won't come off. With as often as I mop the rest of my floor, you can't even tell. :) It doesn't burn a hole or anything, unless you drip a big glob. I have some sheetmetal I put down if I'm going to be doing anything seriously messy, like plasma cutting brackets off a frame or something.

Edit: the baked color only happens when welding close to the floor--underneath a vehicle upside down, or under an axle. Sparks from up higher, like on a workbench don't seem to affect it at all.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
how well does epoxy hold up to weld spatter ?

This has been my concern, along with cutting/grinding sparks. I have not heard good reports of it holding up. However, not sure what kind of epoxy they were using. I'll have to do some more research as I'd love to have it in the new shop.

It'll burn if you have a big drop of molten steel hit the epoxy... torching, welding, etc.

I've laid down a large oil drip pan when I'm torching to catch molten steel. Makes for easy cleanup and protects the floor.

P9060025-L.jpg

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I purchased the epoxy coat stuff, it stung, but buy once cry once right. I purchased it through Lowe's to save myself the $114 in shipping. Fewer selections on colors but I'd rather have $114 in my pocket.

Putting it on next week after we close i'll report back

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I purchased the epoxy coat stuff, it stung, but buy once cry once right. I purchased it through Lowe's to save myself the $114 in shipping. Fewer selections on colors but I'd rather have $114 in my pocket.

Putting it on next week after we close i'll report back

Just be aware it will not cure correctly if the concrete is cold. So get it as warm as possible and as clean as possible first.
I would highly recommend an acid style concrete etcher.