Exhaust systems...

embabe

My own epidemic!
... what's your favorite?? I am currently looking at replacing my stock system, and I have one in mind, but I want to know what everyone else thinks about theirs or what they think is the best way to go.

On your mark... get set.... go! :D

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
RockMonkey said:
Why? What are you hoping to achieve? I can think of better upgrades to spend the coin on.
Rockmonkey is right. Exhaust really won't make a big difference in your rig. What tranny and motor do you have?

embabe

My own epidemic!
Well.... maybe you could stand outside RL and I could drive by ... and you could hear me about a block away.... :eek: ... it sounds AWFUL! :ugh: Just figured that if I was gonna be tearing into the system to replace the catalytic converter, it might be a good time to do both. But I am pretty much just curious what everyone thinks.

(What other mods did you have in mind? I might be easily swayed...)

Oh.. it's all stock and just a 2.5l ... for now... :D

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Ah, you need a new cat. Rattly, is it? If the rest of the exhaust system is in okay shape I'd just replace the cat and call it good. How much money are we talking about here? What does an exhaust system cost? Tops on my list would be: Some sorta lift, wheels, tires, and a replacement for your dana 35. After that, gears and lockers. That's a great start. :)

embabe

My own epidemic!
Well she's currently at 4.5" of lift, so I'm ok with the size it's at.... until I can afford a LA kit and a step ladder to get into it ;).... I have been keeping my eye on some 4.56 gears, but I'd want to swap the axles first.... and I'm waiting untill my uncle finds something awesome in that department. As for the wheels, they're not going anywhere! I was told last week that they were "sexy" ( :confused: ), besides that they match the purple of the jeep! Um... and tires... I'm gonna stick with the 31" AT's untill I swap the gears which would mean swapping the axles.... blah blah blah... :p

Yeah... definitely need a new cat... bad... I keep thinking it's gonna fall off all by itself..... :ugh: (speaking of which, what size in/out would I need? I can't find an easy way to measure it)

I really just wanted everyones opinion on exhaust systems and why they like them just for future reference. No that I'm completely sure I'm gonna do it right now, but I've toyed with the thought.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Well, if your uncle was worth a crap, he would fix your exhaust for you. If you are sure you need a new cat, buy one off the internet and put it on, maybe replace everything after that. Seems like Telford was selling a rear bracket kit for a TJ axle swap. He still might have it. Buy it and toss in a Toyota rear axle.

embabe

My own epidemic!
We're positive about the cat.... which is being put in by my WONDERFUL uncle! :D I owe him so much... he helps me fix pretty much everything on that cute tj of mine. I'm just trying to find somewhere that says what size in/out on that cat so I can buy it... (sometimes I wish I weren't such a clueless girl when it comes to this stuff)

As for the axle.... how much would all that run? How hard would it be to do? Sounds like it might be fun, but wouldn't I need new gears first?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Your rig could very possibly have 4.10 gears in it right now. If so, you could probably find Toyota 4.10 gears for dirt or free cheap. Talk to Von, Carl, or Bryson. They could enlighten you to a much greater extent than I can about toyota stuff.

embabe

My own epidemic!
Yup, we checked Monday, and it does have the 4.10's... which we were avoiding telling my other uncle who I'm told would love to trade me.... if those axles go missing at the next family gathering, I'll know where to look! ;)

Ok, back to exhausts though, what does everyone have/like/want?

pELYgroso

'Merica
I have a magna flow muffler on my xj and it sounds sweet. not redneck at all, but nice n.....throaty is a good word. you should change your motor driven fan (if you have one) to an electric one. adds horse power, mileage, and it sounds cooler with good exhaust. You could look into headers, if they even make them for that little 4-banger ya got. About the cat, my buddy went into a junk yard and pulled a couple parts for his jeep off a recently wrecked one, including the cat. the junk yard dudes said they werent' allowed to sell used cats but if he just took it without telling them they couldn't do anything about it, (hint, hint) so he bought a couple parts and got the cat too. it works perfect and saved him 100 or so bucks. just a suggestion.

JeeperG

Yea if you need to replace the cat only just do that.

I replaced my whole exhaust on my 95 2.5 liter with a borla header, a Spin Tech muffler and a universal high flow cat. My jeep is pretty loud though (for a 4banger), and the header I think added a little tiny bit of horsepower? Hard to tell though since I am running 35's

DevinB

I like traffic lights
I put a Banks header and Flowmaster 40 series on my YJ. It's a 4 liter though, but I noticed more power and it sounds awesome. A friend put a Magnaflow on his 4 liter TJ and mine sounds much better, he even agrees. I still got the stock cat though, so I can't be any help there.
Devin

Cherokeester

Ricks muffler in Orem is the best guy in the state. I have had him put exhaust systems in all my cars and jeeps. I have magnaflow in my CJ with new cat and pipes all installed for about 225.00 and he KNOWS what he is doing. I have a flowmaster setup in my TJ which I like a lot also. Can't go wrong with either.

DevinB

I like traffic lights
Cherokeester said:
Ricks muffler in Orem is the best guy in the state...

Yes, yes he is. His shop did my muffler. I'm friends with him (Rick) and his son who also works there. They are both avid wheelers and general car enthusiasts who love what they do and won't do you wrong.
Devin

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Em,
I have three cats at home, one furry one who won't hold still while being welded and two from some XJs. I can check the pipe diameter for you and then we can see if either xj cat would work. I also have a complete stock TJ muffler and tailpipe that needs a home. I thought when I looked at the cat the last time you were over that the second exhaust sensor mounting point was part of the cat which would complicate putting in an XJ cat.