Expedition, camp, 4x4

notajeep

Just me
Since i've decided to retire the buggy, the ol dodge has become my offroad vehicle of choice. (that and it is the only other 4wd vehicle that I own.)
I started with mounting a 10k winch behind the front bumper, power wagon style. photo.JPG photo (1).jpg
Then I added a Detroit locker to the rear end. I already had a leveling kit installed. So I added some rancho quick lift leveling struts, effectively doubling up with two different styles.
I am now on my 3rd roof top tent. And for this one, I wanted a rack that sat slightly lower than the cab. So that when the tent is open I could comfortable stand underneath it.photo (5).JPG
Rather than go with the Old angle iron to the bed rail method to build my rack off of, I built a complete frame that sits in the bed. That way I don't have to drill into my bed sides. Integrated into the frame is a 15 gallon water tank. That is plumbed into a sureflow water pump that has a pressure switch built in. So that when I open the valve it turns on and when I close it it builds 60 psi then shuts off. Just like standard camper/rv water pump.photo (3).JPGphoto (2).jpg
I mounted a marine battery in the corner of the rack out of the way next to the pump. It powers both the water pump and my arb freezer fridge.photo (4).JPG
I picked up an $89 hf generator to charge the battery when needed and I picked up a small battery monitor to keep tabs of the volts on the battery.
That is what I have done so far.
Future plans....
Slide for the fridge with integrated fold out sink.
Power coat the frame.
Add switch panel with switches for the pump, fridge, LED lights and marine radio with some speakers.
Add some expanded steel to cover the water tank and make a shelf for some additional storage.

Since everything is attached to the rack, it can all slide out of the bed as a unit. And eventually down the road, I'll build a trailer frame that the rack can bolt to. That way, if I want to set a base camp, or use the truck bed for something else if I want to.

.....still working on posting pics from iPad.....

Last edited:

notajeep

Just me
Thank you.
And as a side note.... any wires you see are just preliminary to make sure things work. I'll get everything cleaned up and run to a main distribution/fuse block when I get my switches and LED lights in.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Looking good Dan! Does your tent cause a fair amount of additional wind noise at freeway speeds? I mounted my RTT in about the same location and it's kind of noisy over 60-65 MPH. It doesn't bother me that bad, but if I get tired of it, I may rebuild my rack so my RTT sits a little lower.

notajeep

Just me
Looking good Dan! Does your tent cause a fair amount of additional wind noise at freeway speeds? I mounted my RTT in about the same location and it's kind of noisy over 60-65 MPH. It doesn't bother me that bad, but if I get tired of it, I may rebuild my rack so my RTT sits a little lower.

Here in Logan.... We don't have any freeways.... :(

Previously, I had the Rtt mounted below the cab by a few inches. With that there was no wind noise. But I didn't like the angle of the ladder at that height and it being a head buster hazard. It also somewhat limited the space in the bed.
So far I'm liking this one better. But time will tell.

alwaysxj

one hot moma!!!!
Dan this thing is looking sweet. we are going camping for memorial and the week end of June 1st. you are more then welcome to come!

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Have you ran the pump and fridge on the battery alone? Curious how long it would last, we need to do something like that in our trailer.

notajeep

Just me
Have you ran the pump and fridge on the battery alone? Curious how long it would last, we need to do something like that in our trailer.

Yes, going on 4 days now. Ran the generator for about 30 minutes just to make sure it did what I wanted it to do.
But also, keep in kind that the pump never really will run for more than ten seconds at a time.
Until I figure out a good shower set up.....

rholbrook

Yes, going on 4 days now. Ran the generator for about 30 minutes just to make sure it did what I wanted it to do.
But also, keep in kind that the pump never really will run for more than ten seconds at a time.
Until I figure out a good shower set up.....

Toss a small solar panel somewhere.