Expedition, camp, 4x4

notajeep

Just me
Just finished a week long camping trip with what I have taken to calling the "tent rack".
A few notes.
The addition of the stereo antena and the cb antena worked well. Able to pull in fm stations even when a ways off the beaten track.
The water storage should be easier to fill.
Propane..... There has to be a good compromise between the portability of the Coleman bottles and convince of a 20 lb tank. But i've not found it yet.
Battery... Works great for 2 days or so of camping... Runs fridge, water pump, lights, stereo, etc. However, after about 2 - 3 days...it needs a better way to charge. Currently I have about 35 watts of solar panels to recharge, and they work Just fine if the sun is out and you are stationary. Unfortunately, neither of those were the case this trip. We spent a fair amount of time on the road during peak solar charging hours, and it rained almost everyday further reducing the effectiveness. Currently there is no electrical connection between the truck and the tent rack. But if I take this type of trip again, and I will, I need to add a way to charge the tent rack battery off the truck while it is running, and then isolate the two batteries when the truck is not running.
Another option that will work just fine with charging off the trucks alternator, is to add a second battery to the tent rack. Between I those two options, I should have both the battery capisity and the charging ability to run everything indefinatly.
To add the second battery though, I think that I will have to ditch the marine battery box that I Currently have the single battery in, and just have the two batteries exposed. This shouldn't be too big a deal, though my biggest fear would be something metal grounding or arcing and causing other damage. So, I may use something to partially seal off where the batteries and the water pump are in order to avoid any cargo shifting and damage to the electrical.
Sound ok?

Other notes...
I think that my old camping labs Rtt had a much better mattress than the arb tent has. After 6 consecutive nights, I was ready for my own bed.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Just finished a week long camping trip with what I have taken to calling the "tent rack".
A few notes.

Propane..... There has to be a good compromise between the portability of the Coleman bottles and convince of a 20 lb tank. But i've not found it yet.

There is a better option, a 10# propane tank. It's the PERFECT size for backcountry travel/camping/cooking. You can get them at Home Depot, but they are pricey. Still, the size is ideal for what we do. I was carrying around a 20# tanks and ditched it as soon as I found a 10# tank.

notajeep

Just me
I have a few updates and a little bit of progress on the "tent rack".

First, With the multi day trip battery issues I had, I knew I needed a way to charge from the truck when it was running.
So, first order of business was to head over to the Dodge dealership and pick up a battery tray from CTD of the same year as my HEMI.

241.jpg

I had to ditch the AFE cold air intake system to make this work, so for the time being, I added the filter setup you see.
The CTD battery tray bolted right in and the new yellow top optima fits great.

244.jpg

242.jpg

I happened to have laying around the shop a Painless wiring digital power manager... (or something long winded like that)
Basically, it is a solid state dual battery controller that allows both batteries to charge but not drain the other, and under large loads will hook them together, or use the aux battery to jump start a dead vehicle battery.

All that in this little box.

243.jpg

I then purchased a Warn winch disco plug thing to run some 4 gauge wires back to the tent rack to a second new yellow top optima battery.

This light on the dash tells me (using morris code like flashes) the status of the charging batteries.

240.jpg

notajeep

Just me
Then I ordered up a new set of tires. I figured that I should be able to a 35" tire with out too much extra work, My truck having just a leveling kit.

The 315 70 r17's fit perfectly with no rubbing and no trimming was required.

245.jpg

247.jpg

246.jpg

notajeep

Just me
Now, with all this extra battery power, I decided that I needed some more light.
I already had some KC daylighters mounted behind the grill, so I added a second set of Hella 500 fog lights next to them.

251.jpg

I also added a LED light strip to the bottom the headlight housing for that expo audi look that is all the rage these days.

248.jpg

notajeep

Just me
Now my attention was turned to the rear of the truck. Yanking the fridge from the back on to the tail gate was just not going to do anymore. I decided that it was time for a fridge slide. I went to my friendly local ARB dealer to see what was available. ARB has some pretty sweet slides and also some drawer systems that would work perfect. Problem was, that being all from Australia, they would't fit my left hand drive wallet. So, I was left to create my own fridge slide and drawer system.
I started with some 3/4 plywood and a dream.
This is what I ended up with.

Everything stowed away.

229.jpg

231.jpg

Fridge rolled out.

232.jpg

233.jpg

Camp stove rolled out.

234.jpg

239.jpg

notajeep

Just me
I don't think that I will actually be cooking like that. But that did give the stove a place to call it's own, where previously it was just riding wherever it would fit in the truck. In actual use, this will be my sink area. Under the stove there are 2 cutouts that fit 2 plastic bins for dishes and what not. I also built a cover to that it can be used as extra counter space and or food prep area.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Dan,

The campsite you showed as halfway up steep canyon off of Franklin basin. I can't find that name on Google Maps.
Is that the road that goes up just south of Crescent Lake? Google Maps lists that road as Franklin Basin Road...
The wife and I are wanting to go up there and camp next weekend.

Thanks,

--Eric

notajeep

Just me
Dan,

The campsite you showed as halfway up steep canyon off of Franklin basin. I can't find that name on Google Maps.
Is that the road that goes up just south of Crescent Lake? Google Maps lists that road as Franklin Basin Road...
The wife and I are wanting to go up there and camp next weekend.

Thanks,

--Eric

Yes, the campsite is south and a little east of crescent lake. It is on the last switchback or more like an S curve in the road right after you cross the creek.

Last edited:

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Thanks,

that's what I thought..

Oh, love your expo setup and it was great to meet you on the railroad.

--Eric

notajeep

Just me
That is a righteous build! Love it.

How does the stereo hold up to the elements?

Thank you. I bought the cheapest walmart deck I could find just because I didn't know how it would work out to have it back there. But the box is mostly under the tent, so no water gets to it from there, and what little spray there is doesn't seem to bother anything. I tried to seal the face cover plate as best I could, and it keeps most of the dust out.
If the stereo lasts through the winter, then I'll upgrade it to a nicer head unit with a bit more power.