Exploring the Dolores Triangle, April '09

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I received some trail beta last week that the amazingly steep Sheep Creek Road North-West of Gateway, Colorado had been repaired recently by the BLM. This is one of my favorite roads in such an amazing area. I've been wanting to drive that road with a 4x4 for awhile. The road had been washed out last year and was closed to vehicles over 50" wide, which left it open only to ATV's and motorcycles. I rode down it last year on my dual-sport and it was a white-knuckle ride all the way down. There were loose rocks the size of bowling balls and smaller all over the trail, making it quite a challenge to descend. In several areas the trail was washed out, adding to the challenge that much more.

Sheep Creek Road rises from an elevation of 4,500' down by the Dolores River to 7,200' at the top of the mesa in less than 4 miles. The road begins a gentle climb, then quickly transitions to a very steep ascent, with numerous tight switchbacks. At the very top, the road runs about 50' between steep switchbacks.

Catherine and I had planned to make this an overnighter, but due to my wife not feeling too great, we decided to make it a daytrip instead. We started the drive from Grand Junction to Whitewater, then turned on Hwy 141 thru Unaweep Canyon, headed towards Gateway. On the way we stopped at Thimble Rock and and the decaying Driggs Mansion. Something interesting about Unaweep Canyon is that it's the only canyon in the world that has a watershed divide in the middle of it. How's that for amazing!

The Driggs Mansion was built between 1914 and 1918 by a wealthy New Yorker. He intended to expand it to a 14 room hunting mansion. In the end, his family only lived there for a few weeks. Since then, vandals and the elements have worn the structure to a hardly recognizable state.

Pictures of Thimble Rock and the Driggs Mansion.-

521304004_EXm8H-M.jpg

521304062_oo8YL-L.jpg

521304210_6wiPE-M.jpg

521303908_xoxh6-L.jpg

521304032_qj7pQ-M.jpg

Greg

Admin
We turned off Hwy 141 at 4 25/100 Road, driving North-West and passed under The Palisade. The area goes from residential to remote in the blink of an eye, probably why I love the area so much.

521304426_aBBXf-L.jpg

521304321_AjgrD-M.jpg

521304648_e9tPz-M.jpg

521304891_H7qQu-M.jpg

If you're taking this route, turn right when you see this sign post-

521306877_8pDBH-M.jpg

521307137_xLcSg-M.jpg

There were so many cactus out there, you have to be careful where you step. More than a few were in bloom.

521306586_WMYt2-M.jpg

Looking up towards Sheep Creek Rd. There were lots of neat HooDoo's in the area too.-

521307185_4WP3w-M.jpg

521304798_dfJjL-M.jpg

521307990_j6ntA-M.jpg

Greg

Admin
This is where the road gets quite steep, some of the switchbacks required 2 and 3 point turns. Catherine wasn't very fond of the elevation and steep cliff on the side. It's hard to get the photos to do justice to the trail, so here's the best attempt.

521308166_WDnDx-L.jpg

521308152_XpL6L-M.jpg

521308253_nurcF-M.jpg

521308376_Mveu2-M.jpg

521308476_kNRYr-M.jpg

There was some recent rockfall on the trail.

521308321_woMUz-L.jpg

At the top of the switchbacks was this cabin and corral, looks like someones hunting base judging by the hangin' tree.

521308585_D6r4M-M.jpg

521308633_tqr4z-M.jpg

Finally on the top of the mesa, 7,200 feet.

521308680_PPgRF-M.jpg

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I can't remember if we resolved this or not but it was the Driggs Mansion Candace and I were trying to remember the name of when we were chatting a few weeks back. What a neat story.

Great pics btw.

Greg

Admin
The forecast for the weekend in this area was great, mid-70's and partly cloudy. The weatherman was way off on this one... the wind picked up and a storm was moving in. Made me glad we opted out of camping. The last 2 camping trips I've been on it was windy/rainy/snowy. The La Sals looked like they were getting hammered with snow. We moved on, heading towards Steamboat Mesa.

521308739_YRo58-L.jpg

521308705_qtZzT-M.jpg

521308758_ZvaGF-L.jpg

Looking towards the La Sals :eek: -

521308963_y6UTk-M.jpg

Steamboat Mesa off in the distance. We decided to find an overlook down to the Dolores River and the valley we had just climbed out of, then drive up Steamboat Mesa. The clouds, wind and dust in the air really limited the view, but put an erie twist on the overlook.

521308837_GhsZv-M.jpg

521309521_R6SVK-M.jpg

521309614_4B3za-M.jpg

Greg

Admin
We headed back to the trail that was cut into Steamboat Mesa. It seemed rarely traveled by 4x4, mostly ATV tracks, like many of the roads in this area. There was a rockslide that we carefully worked our way around... it got tippy for a bit. :ugh: Just after descending the mesa, the rain picked up. It had been showered off and on, but now it was coming down pretty good.

521308837_GhsZv-M.jpg

521308993_gEoey-M.jpg

On top of Steamboat Mesa.-

521310048_UCxDF-L.jpg

521310020_M2HdP-M.jpg

Coming back down.-

521310163_A6Qdr-M.jpg

521310093_w4Sa4-M.jpg

Soon we were on the rocky road towards Granite Creek. It's a pretty good distance and a bumpy ride most of the way there, probably feels much longer than it really is. There's some amazing views along the way. There was also an odd, recently-built structure out there, just before we dropped into Granite Creek. Granite Creek was flowing pretty good with the melting snow at higher elevations, it's usually a trickle all other times of the year.

521310321_hfteq-M.jpg

521310355_xK96d-M.jpg

521310742_3BaKJ-M.jpg

Greg

Admin
We headed towards the UT/CO border on the way to Glade Park. We had to drive some easy graded roads and cross Coats Creek, which was also flowing at a pretty decent rate.

521311482_PinTJ-M.jpg

521311446_gsP5Q-M.jpg

521311610_wiUUB-L.jpg

521311680_8aGra-L.jpg

Just past the UT/CO border we ran across a small herd of Elk, looked like a cow, spike and a small Bull. They hung out for a bit, then ran for cover.

521311713_efjK6-M.jpg

Several more miles up the road we saw a bigger herd of deer, probably about 14-16, crossing the road in front of us. I wasn't quick enough with the camera to get pics of them, but it was interesting to see them crossing the road, single file.

It was a great trip, ended up rolling into town about 7:30 PM with just over 150 miles on the odometer. We were hungry after the long day, so we went to Carinos for some good Italian. It was a good end to an even better day!

We took a hundred and some odd pics, here's the album if you'd like to see more.- http://greg-catherine.smugmug.com/gallery/8014475_K8d2u#521304426_aBBXf

Here's the .gpx file from the trip, if anyone is interested in taking that route or checking it out from your computer.-

Attachments

• DoloresTriangle.gpx
    201.1 KB · Views: 28

Greg

Admin
I can't remember if we resolved this or not but it was the Driggs Mansion Candace and I were trying to remember the name of when we were chatting a few weeks back. What a neat story.

Great pics btw.

I thought that was the case, I couldn't recall the name myself, though we've driven past it numerous times.

Awesome scenery! Looks like a fun trip!

It's a great area, there is little 4x4 traffic up there and I'd love to see more folks get up there so we can keep these trails opened. I've taken several trips out there and there is still sooo much more to see. There is much ATV use, I think we ended up seeing 5 groups, totaling 14-15 ATV's.

TimB

Homesick
Great trip and great report! I assume the dolores would be too high to ford this time of year?

My last trip to the area was a population control hunt in the little dolores triangle across the river from westwater landing. That was 1993 I think.

KWight

Pre Trip photos

Since I wasn't able to join Greg for the trip, I ended up going to the same area on Friday. Here are some of my pictures from the opposite direction:

Dropping into the Desert from Glade Park, CO:

View of La Sal Mountains just past the Utah border:

Picture of my KLR after it went for a brief swim at Granite Creek Crossing:

Structure above Granite Creek:

I had to turn back early as I wanted to get some work done on Friday. The computers were down for half the day so that was my excuse to go. I had originally planned on making the drive to Gateway but I turned back after noticing my back pack fell of the luggage rack. I look forward to making the trip again some day in the early Summer.

Kevin

Greg

Admin
Great trip and great report! I assume the dolores would be too high to ford this time of year?

My last trip to the area was a population control hunt in the little dolores triangle across the river from westwater landing. That was 1993 I think.

Thanks Tim, it's an amazing area!

Yes, the Dolores is running quite high right now, with the expected peak in early June. I wouldn't consider fording the river until the end of Summer. We were running the Kokopelli a few weeks ago and decided to check out the ford close to the confluence of the Colorado and the Dolores. Kurt drove in and it got deep, fast. And he was in the shallow area. It will be a few months before the river is low enough to cross.

I bet that hunt was a good time, the road next to the Little Dolores River crosses private property and is gated now a days. I'd love a chance to see that area, but it will have to be on foot. :-\

Greg

Admin
Since I wasn't able to join Greg for the trip, I ended up going to the same area on Friday. Here are some of my pictures from the opposite direction:

Dropping into the Desert from Glade Park, CO:

View of La Sal Mountains just past the Utah border:

Picture of my KLR after it went for a brief swim at Granite Creek Crossing:

Structure above Granite Creek:

I had to turn back early as I wanted to get some work done on Friday. The computers were down for half the day so that was my excuse to go. I had originally planned on making the drive to Gateway but I turned back after noticing my back pack fell of the luggage rack. I look forward to making the trip again some day in the early Summer.

Kevin

:cool: Looks like fun Kevin! The KLR looks real good too, that's a great bike for this area. This warming weather has me thinking about riding more often than not. If I can swing getting another bike, we'll have to put some rides together. Getting gear to stay on a bike over those rocky trails is a real battle, I had my gear fall off last year on the same road. How far past that rock structure did you make it?

Greg

Admin
Great little trip.

BTW, Greg, I did not draw my deer tag for the area. Will have to try again next year.

Thanks! Too bad about the tag, there's plenty of wildlife in the area. We did see another hunting camp near Steamboat Mesa, no idea why they'd leave that tent up thru the winter, but it was there! Looked like the weather had beaten it down pretty well.

521309971_K6gQW-L.jpg

KWight

Thanks! Too bad about the tag, there's plenty of wildlife in the area. We did see another hunting camp near Steamboat Mesa, no idea why they'd leave that tent up thru the winter, but it was there! Looked like the weather had beaten it down pretty well.

521309971_K6gQW-L.jpg

I know some people set up hunting camps in the late fall before the snow falls then go back in the Spring to take things down after the thaw. It can be hard to get a tent that size out on horseback.

Kevin