Central Utah Family camping in the House Range

Tonkaman

I made a last minute decision to get the family out camping and brave the Labor day crowds. I'm interested in checking out the House Range, specifically Notch Peak. I've never been in that area before so help me make sure I get the most adventure packed into a long weekend. While i'm out in the great basin area what else should I check out? I don't mind driving for more than half the day exploring if its worth the views, any recommended routes? I need to know what is a MUST see and what to avoid. I'll be in my silverado so I cant get too crazy. Does anyone know if the trails are marked well in the area?

Any information is much appreciated

DAA

North canyon/Pine Peak has some good mining relics and an awesome view from the top. Marjum pass/Hermits cave is an easy/scenic drive with an interesting old dwelling (Stinson's place). Miller canyon for gold panning when there is water, but this time of year I don't think there will be. Fossil hunting for Trillobites.

Could easily fit all that and more in a weekend spent in the area. Probably won't be too awful bad as far as Labor Day crowds go either. Should be fun!

- DAA

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
All that DAA said and also Dome Canyon north of Marjum. If you like rockhounding there are lots of places to find fossils out there, trilobites in multiple areas, ammonites in the Foote Range, fossils just south of Cowboy pass, and at Conger Springs in the Confusion Range. Fossil Mountain south of highway 6 is also loaded with fossils as you would expect. Crystal Peak is also an interesting stop. Here is a link for rockhounding in the area:http://user.xmission.com/~jbdaniel/millard.htm

Last edited:

Tonkaman

We just got back after 370 miles of adventure. The trip was a big success with lots to see! Ill have a full trip report later this week