Favorite cold weather gear

Omgbecki

Hey peeps. I imagine at least a couple of you guys are crazy like me and do some wheeling in the snow. Maybe even some camping. Was wondering what kind of cold weather stuff you guys like to wear from shoes to head wear. Would be great to hear from anyone who actually spends more time in the elements. Thanks guys and gals, if we have any of those

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
My favorite cold weather gear is my house!!

I have been wearing Froggtoggs for wet weather, and have really enjoyed them. They are surprisingly warm for what they are as well.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I spend a bit of time in the elements, from wheeling to camping to skiing and snowshoeing. I use wool socks (Darn Tough or something like that), Columbia snow boots for camping/ snowshoeing, merino wool long underwear, snow pants from Level 9 (I dont recall the brand), and sometimes fleeced lined Jeans from Cabelas.

Up top I layer a long sleeve shirt, a fleece jacket, and a waterproof shell. My shell is Columbia, but depending on how cold it is I have a Salomon waterproof thin coat I can put over layers to stay warm, or I can wear my Columbia if it is really cold.

I have half a dozen or so beanies since I'm bald. I wear whatever is in the car. For gloves I have Dakine mittens with fleece finger glove liners. If it's super cold I'll throw a hand warmer into the mittens. I wear a buff/head sock over my face to keep some warmth and limit exposed skin. I recently bought a velcro bandana from Oakley that I'll test this winter.

The coldest I've ever camped was at FYTO 3 years ago. I wore lots of layers and stayed mostly warm. It was freaking COLD, but a good time. Too many layers and it feels like Randy from A Christmas Story...?

boogie_4wheel

511 Tactical Parka if you're ready to spend $300 on a coat.
My previous company got some of these for a restart on a mine outside Leadville Co. I was doing electrical commissioning during the winter; -20°F was common.

Fleece liner is removable. Water and wind proof outer. Tons of pockets (even on the sleeves) for you to lose your stuff in.

The link is for the high vis (I have the black), but I think you can get an all black (not high vis) for a little cheaper. Look at the 3-in-1.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
My biggest outdoor winter activity is ice fishing so it's all about the layers. usually something like insulated overalls --> jacket --> Hoodie --> normal clothes --> thermals, I did pick up an heated milwaukee jacket that helps as long as it's buried under layers. I usually wear some wool socks with Bog boots on the ice. I like the hats with ear flaps that Recreation outlet sells, and usually a pair of fingerless gloves if I need dexterity when fishing and mittens/ski gloves if I don't.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
For car camping in the winter I have Merrel snow boots I wear over merino wool socks, fleece lined Carhartts that might get a polypropylene layer underneath or a pair of rainpants over, depending, and then an assortment of layers for the torso, starting with polypropylene and then various fleeces or a light down coat over the top, with maybe the rain shell or a windbreaker if it's nasty out.

For riding in the winter that doesn't work, way too bulky. I try to balance warmth with not sweating and generally aim towards the cold side of comfy. I use the same winter boots, and then I'll wear leg warmers under shorts in moderate temps or a set of fleece riding pants as it gets colder. I've got waterproof shells and leg gaiters to wear over those if it's wet or powdery. Generally the same layers on the torso, just less of them. I'm thinking about a set of USB rechargeable heated socks, because it seems like my feet get cold no matter what I do.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
For wheeling, its heated seats. I retro-fitted our TJ's PRP seats with a kit. Just a high/low switch for each seat. They keep me warm enough for 30 degree wheeling with no top.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I love winter camping and with proper gear I think it can be as enjoyable as summer camping, well almost.

I’m a big fan of Rab gear for extreme cold weather. They have amazing down jackets, down pants and down tent booties. They make some great inner layers too. I’ve got one of their lower temp sleeping bags and it’s quite amazing. I’ve got a Nemo that’s rated even a bit lower that is just balmy unless you’re in -10* or lower, I rocked this while camping in Greenland at 10k feet, I survived :D

Clothes in general (think layers ), I rock an assortment of Triple Aught Design, predominantly Magpul, with a scattering of Triple Aught Design, Simms, Exoficio, North Face and Columbia I wear, with mostly RAB, North Face or Merinowool long underwear as a base.

Houndoc

My typical cold weather (of course how do you define cold?) is Canadian army issued winter socks, with pair of -100 rated boots, good base thermal layer under felt lined pants and ski shell over them. On top again thermal base layer, fleece jacket and Cabela's anorak. Good hat is a must (rabbit fur with flaps works well.) Got some great extreme weather mitts from Wiggy's.

Dress like that and a night of working out -35F and 40 mph winds only results in only mild frost bite.

frozen face.jpg