Feedback on replacement seats

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
I'm considering replacing the factory seats in my '04 TJ. After driving my (brand new) van, the TJ seats feel really sacked out. I'm interested in any feedback from people who have purchased replacement seats for their TJ. I note that many seats available through the big box stores (Quadratec, 4wparts, etc.) fit just about any Wrangler / CJ with the purchase of an adapter.

So, If you have purchased replacement seats (from any manufacturer - Corbeau, Bestop, Rugged Ridge, PRP, etc) what are your thoughts? BlackSheep is basically a trailer queen although I do tend to drive around town now and then. Comfort of the seat, install info (i.e. adapter required), etc.

I have read a thread I found during a search that said the adapter for the Corbeau Moab seat added about an inch to the height of the seat. Honestly that's ok for me, as I was thinking about raising my seat anyway. But, if there are particular things about fitting the seat into your rig like this, I'm interested in hearing about that as well.

thanks

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
I've been happy with my PRP daily drivers for the past 14 years. I added heat to them about 10 years ago, it was a nice upgrade. The covers are starting to show some wear, but PRP told me they will sell me new ones when the time comes. I mounted them to a cradle that is tied into the roll cage and use the PRP sliders. I also 5-point harnesses; got rid of the seatbelts a long time ago. Harnesses are not convenient to use on a daily driven rig. My TJ is about 99% trail.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
You can use Grand Cherokee seats, they bolt right up and are more comfy. We've done it to several of our Jeeps. I used full electric ones in my Jeep and I can tip the seat when going downhill so I can see better.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I spent a LOT of money on top of the line Corbeau XRS seats in my old GMC that I built up and was sorely disappointed when they started falling apart less than 6 months into owning them. I'm all for supporting local companies and Corbeau is based out of SLC, but when $1200 worth of seats are built so poorly, I'm not OK with that. I do believe PRP seats are built better, but don't have any personal experience. Sounds like they last very well, with @Mouse weighing in.

Dave's idea of factory seats is a good idea. I wonder if you can put JK seats in a TJ? You could get JK seats, toss on some Katzkin covers and have nice, new feeling seats.

DAA

Mine have something like 100,000 miles on them, not ever being babied, and they are still in excellent condition. Nice and comfy. Recline, fold and tumble. Not hard to get into but enough bolster to make a huge difference in how I feel after a long day in the saddle.

Nothing not to like except for the price.

Mine, the Baja RS, do need adapters and do sit higher than factory. They sit about the same as the factory seats did on 1 inch risers.

- DAA

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
Mine have something like 100,000 miles on them, not ever being babied, and they are still in excellent condition. Nice and comfy. Recline, fold and tumble. Not hard to get into but enough bolster to make a huge difference in how I feel after a long day in the saddle.

Nothing not to like except for the price.

Mine, the Baja RS, do need adapters and do sit higher than factory. They sit about the same as the factory seats did on 1 inch risers.

- DAA

So no adapter required for your TJ? That's a bonus. What year is your TJ? Are you using the factory belt or a multi-point system? If factory, how did the seat belt catch attach? Mine is '04 so the belt catch is on the seat, not the frame. I see they have adapter kits for both the '97-02 and the '03-06 TJs.

@Greg , I got a quote from Katzkin for just my driver and passenger seats - $1700 without tax and not including replacement padding. It would be cheaper for a single color seat by about $400, but they quoted me for a custom color combination by my request.

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
No, they DO need adapters. It's an '06, using the factory belts - pretty sure the catch is not attached to the seats? I'll have to double check that.

- DAA

I don't know how I mis-read your first comment about needing the adapters. Thanks for setting me straight. I'm assuming with the adapters they've taken into account how to adapt the seat belt catch. As for cost - just going through their website, adding the Dirtsport fabric, including the adapters and I'm at $1500! I could trim that by about $200 if I go vinyl.

EDIT: I just watched their TJ install video - they've got it all covered on installation of the Baja RS.

Last edited:

RockChucker

I have mastercraft baja seats. Their original. Comfy seats. The covers are starting to show wear after 5 years, but nothing bad. My brother has a set of reclinable mastercrafts. Probably the same as @DAA 's seats. They have been really good for him. I second what @Greg said about corbeau. total junk. My back seat that is a YJ seat started falling apart within 3 months and the front seats i used to have only lasted a couple years. Local or not, I'm not about supporting a company that can't produce a quality product.