Fire Extinguishers; The Good, Bad & the Ugly

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
With a recent fire in one of our active members rigs that was saved by quick acting and being prepared with extinguishers, the damage was kept to a minimum. Several years ago another well known buggy in our community burned to the ground out at 5 Mile Pass after catching fire and was a total loss. I thought this was a conversation worth having and educating our group, hopefully leading to the rest of us being better prepared in an emergency situation.

Harry Wagner has a great video on procedural use, different types of extinguishers, etc. It's very informative! -

"A fire extinguisher probably isn’t something that you think about very often, but you should! You may have one in your vehicle in order to meet the safety inspection at an event, but you likely haven’t checked to see if it is still charged and it might not be easily accessible. You have probably never needed to use it, and that is a good thing. In the unfortunate case you do need to use a fire extinguisher though, that isn’t the time to learn whether the extinguisher you bought is a gimmick or the real deal. In this video test a variety of different extinguishers, and the results surprised even us.

H3R MaxOut- H3R’s MaxOut is a traditional chemical fire extinguisher, similar to what you would find at the hardware or auto parts store. They are good at putting out A, B, and C type fires but leave a mess once the fire is out. They are reasonably priced, use all metal construction, and come with a mounting bracket to affix them to your roll bar. The MaxOut is available in 1, 2.5, and 5 pound bottles, with the larger sizes being advantageous for putting out a vehicle fire.

H3R HalGuard- H3R’s HalGuard extinguishers are more expensive than their dry chemical extinguishers, but they leave no corrosive residue and provide better visibility when fighting a fire. They use Halotron, an electrically non-conductive extinguishing agent that rapidly turns into a gas. Halotron is a proprietary three-component chemical blend that is safe, effective, environmentally acceptable replacement for Halon 1211. It is discharged as a liquid that rapidly evaporates, cooling the fire and removing the oxygen source.

Element E50 Extinguisher- Element claims to use a tested and proven technology that fights fires on the molecular level. By chemically interrupting the chain of combustion, in theory the Element safely and effectively puts out fires without the mess, toxicity, or danger associated with a traditional extinguisher. They are reasonably priced and don’t take up much space, making them a popular choice, but do they live up to the hype?"

Harry covers the Element extinguisher, which have become very popular... but they've come under scrutiny after recent failures and attention from the California Fire Marshall, who has banned them from CA because they don't meet the approved standard. Loren Healy had a Element extinguisher fail on him during a race while he was in the car and it was all captured on camera... looks like a very stressful situation, the Element fails and he's forced to wait on crew assistance while his vehicle is on fire.

Screenshot_20231110_071517_Facebook.jpg

I picked up two, 3# Kiddie Marine Class B (flammable liquids and gases) & Class C (electrical equipment) extinguishers for my TJ. - 3# Kiddie Marine Class B (flammable liquids and gases) & Class C

Let's also talk about extinguisher mounts, what do you prefer? Quick disconnect tube mount? Canvas bag secured with velcro?

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I was welding up the handle on a neighbors lawnmower with it tipped on it's side in the garage when I hear this soft "whump" sound and a bit more warmth than expected. I put the mig gun down, walked over and grabbed the 10# dry powder extinguisher, did a single sweep across the floor and the burning puddle of gas was out. My neighbor, who had a welding helmet on watching me weld, pulls off the helmet and asks "What the hell just happened?"
I picked up another 10#'er and need to get the used one recharged.

Last edited:

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I threw an element on my SXS for its ease of storage. Shortly after dropping the money someone posted a bunch of vids of them failing 🤬. Not sure why they didn’t surface while I was researching. I haven’t added an additional yet, but I intend to add a traditional extinguisher.

Following

Also yeah yeah it’s a sxs don’t put one on and let it burn to ground. One less in the world 😂

STAG

On my grind
403D2196-22BF-4DA0-8AC7-B8EBC3A92E36.jpeg

As a victim myself of a vehicle fire total loss, I too am an advocate of carrying an extinguisher on rig.

I just run the red kidde’s myself too. But almost anything would have been better than the nothing that I had this day.

A passerby did stop by with a very small extinguisher but by the time they stopped the flames were too large.

I have been meaning to get an extinguisher mounted and added to my dad’s SXS just for that emergency but we haven’t yet.

Tonkaman

Great subject Greg! For those of you who don’t know, I happen to work in the fire protection industry. Fire sprinklers are my main focus, but I actually inspect, maintain and test extinguishers as well.

I think a combination of a water pump tank and Halon 1211 would be ideal. You could use the water pump tank for campfires at night too.

A couple things To think about:

- Many extinguishers are listed for use between 40° and 120° which vehicle use will easily put them outside those parameters. Make sure to pick an extinguisher that is useful in a wider range of temperatures.

- Vehicles B (flammable liquids) rating is considered extra hazard so I never recommend a B rating of less than 40B

- Carbon dioxide extinguishers are great for class B,C but do not work on class A. They are also not a great choice for outside application because wind can render them ineffective.

- Halon 1211 seems like the perfect choice since most are rated for A,B and C, and wind isn’t as much of a problem as Co2. The downside it is very expensive to buy and refill if used.

- ABC extinguishers are the most readily available and widely used since they do the best job at multiple things for the money. The downside is that the dry chemical is highly corrosive and messy.

- Pump tank (water) extinguishers are self refillable and can be treated with antifreeze for cold temps. The down side is that they are only useful for class A combustibles and will ruin electronics.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I’ve had a number of extinguishers over the years since they’re required for competition. The thing about those stupid ass powder extinguishers is they also don’t work unless you occasionally take them off the rig and tap them on the ground at an angle. Otherwise the powder settles and compacts and they don’t work when you need them to. Because of that I thought elements would be the bees knees and bought two of those. Obviously that didn’t pan out so I’m thinking I’ll run a suppression system on the buggy when it’s done… in 17 years.
$440 is a drop in the bucket on a buggy build and 5 nozzles seems like it would work well. I’ll do a lot more research when it gets closer of course.

Tonkaman

I’ve had a number of extinguishers over the years since they’re required for competition. The thing about those stupid ass powder extinguishers is they also don’t work unless you occasionally take them off the rig and tap them on the ground at an angle. Otherwise the powder settles and compacts and they don’t work when you need them to. Because of that I thought elements would be the bees knees and bought two of those. Obviously that didn’t pan out so I’m thinking I’ll run a suppression system on the buggy when it’s done… in 17 years.
$440 is a drop in the bucket on a buggy build and 5 nozzles seems like it would work well. I’ll do a lot more research when it gets closer of course.

All extinguishers require an annual maintenance. With dry chemical extinguishers you need to flip the cylinder upside down to fluff up the powder. Dry chemical that doesn’t get much movement can begin to cake together over time which blocks the pickup tube. This is also why dry chemical.extinguishers have to be internally inspected and rebuilt every 6 years.

That suppression kit you linked would be pretty cool. My first concern though is that AFFF will freeze and ruin it. There may be products out there that go below 32° but none that I’ve used. Mixing antifreeze in was something people used to do, but it stopped the foam from working properly.

Also remember AFFF is not rated for class A fires, so you’re still screwed if it’s just normal combustible materials. Since it is a buggy that may not be a concern though?

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
All extinguishers require an annual maintenance. With dry chemical extinguishers you need to flip the cylinder upside down to fluff up the powder. Dry chemical that doesn’t get much movement can begin to cake together over time which blocks the pickup tube. This is also why dry chemical.extinguishers have to be internally inspected and rebuilt every 6 years.

That suppression kit you linked would be pretty cool. My first concern though is that AFFF will freeze and ruin it. There may be products out there that go below 32° but none that I’ve used. Mixing antifreeze in was something people used to do, but it stopped the foam from working properly.

Also remember AFFF is not rated for class A fires, so you’re still screwed if it’s just normal combustible materials. Since it is a buggy that may not be a concern though?
Yeah I need to research more. I know ultra 4 cars and other racecars use such systems so I just need to find out what they do. Either way it just seems like a small investment for something that could save me and my rig.

Tonkaman

Yeah I need to research more. I know ultra 4 cars and other racecars use such systems so I just need to find out what they do. Either way it just seems like a small investment for something that could save me and my rig.
I completely agree, it’s a no brainer at that price point. Nobody wants to build their rig twice!

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
I know we've been discussing vehicle-mounted extinguishers; but I bought one of these for my shop and have it mounted in an easy-to grab location:

Pic1.JPG

I like that I can fill it with water and recharge with compressed air at anytime. I also have an ABC extinguisher available as well.

1969honda

Supporting Member

Another thing to think about is electrical conductivity of anti freeze. At work they tried to use the pink RV antifreeze in the water extinguishers like @Mouse showed, turns out it is conductive. A lineman responded to a transformer pole fire, went up on his bucket to extinguish it and estimate the damage. When he sprayed the fire it turned into a fireball and spread. All water extinguishers were immediately red tagged across the company, cleaned, and filed back up with regular water and instructed to check daily in winter months.

Granted that's at a fairly high amperage and voltage from our vehicles, but still relevant to consider.

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
I am really glad I had what I had or the buggy probably would have burnt to the ground. Normal red powder extinguisher. I am not worried about the. Settling because they are attached to the buggy and get jostled around on every ride.

I mount them with Drake mount but there are many similar styles out there. https://www.amazon.com/Drake-Off-Road-FIREX-MNT-DAG-FIRE-CLMP-L-DAG/dp/B06WGQJ19C/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=38HMAERFBO65L&keywords=drake+fire+extinguisher+mount&qid=1699876294&sprefix=,aps,198&sr=8-3
I rinsed the buggy off as soon as I got it home and more after I had the panels off. I won't wheel the buggy without them. You never know when something like this will happen.