Fixable hardtop?

JPNGRL44

Unhealthy Obsession
So I finaly got my hardtop back........ But he totaly trashed it :mad2: according to him he droped it when he was taking it down off the wall in the garage!?:-\ Anyhow one of the side windows is gone, the corner is totaly screwed up, and the one side is cracked all the way down the top corner seam.
Any thoughts on fixing it? I have thought about rhino lining:confused: but i am not sure if that would hold the cracks together or not, or if it would make it unbearably heavier than it allready is? Would I be better off to just get rid of it and buy a new one, or a soft top?

JPNGRL44

Unhealthy Obsession
fergusor said:
Is the hard top made out of fiberglass? If it is made out of glass it can be a fairly easy repair and repaint.

yeah it is fiberglass....... But where and how can I get that done? Is it something i could figure out on my own?

Bart

Amost any autobody shop can do fiberglass. After it's fixed you can just rattle can the inside. I'm afraid teh window is going to be expensive.

I just a TJ top on KSL.com in similar shape to the one you're describing. He wasn't trying to sell it, was he? This guy sounds like a real weeener for sure.

JPNGRL44

Unhealthy Obsession
Bart said:
Boat places mostly deal with gel coat, but some still do fiberglass. Almost any autobody place can fix fiberglass. Then just rattle can the inside. I'm afraid the window is going to be expensive. That's a bummer.

I saw a top on KSL.com in similar shape to the one you're talking about. Was he trying to sell it also? This guy sounds like a real weeener.

Recomend any particular body shops in utah valley?

:( It wouldn't surprise me if he had tried to sell it. The jerk used my jeep to pick up on his new girlfriend and then had the nerve to have her call and break up with me for him. :mad2:

JPNGRL44

Unhealthy Obsession
fergusor said:
Ive done a lot of work on composites and painting and if you need some help let me know.

I may take you up on that offer :cool: I like to do as much of the work on my jeep as i can......... truth be told that isn't much when your only 5"3" and one tire on the jeep weighs as much if not more than you do.

fergusor

JPNGRL44 said:
I may take you up on that offer :cool: I like to do as much of the work on my jeep as i can......... truth be told that isn't much when your only 5"3" and one tire on the jeep weighs as much if not more than you do.

Just let me know.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Doing glass work is pretty easy. It's difficult to make look nice, though. It's been a while since I've done any glass work, but if I remember right, the directions were right on the can/matting?

There's a good body shop in our area, just down center street, across from Walgreens on State. I don't recall the name of it though...

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
JPNGRL44 said:
Recomend any particular body shops in utah valley?

:( It wouldn't surprise me if he had tried to sell it. The jerk used my jeep to pick up on his new girlfriend and then had the nerve to have her call and break up with me for him. :mad2:
Really... What a (insert name of male body part here)! For all that matters, the slang for a cat, too! Look on the bright side though, if this is how he is, you are WAYYYYYY better off without him and lucky you didn't end up getting married/having kids with him to find out!!

SundancKid

Where's the "e"?
If the damage/crack is visible from the outside... the outside texture wll be a b!otch to duplicate.

Fiberglass repair is fairly strait forward. The toughest part is you have to damage it more before you fix it. Basically you need to rough up the edges so they are "frayed". The amount of fraying depends on how much strength is needed. I'd recomend a 1/2 to 3/4 inch for a jeep top. After you fray the edges you fill the gap with chopped fiber mat. Sand smooth with 32 grit, repeat if necessary. Then finish block sand with 400, bondo, prime and paint.

fergusor

SundancKid said:
If the damage/crack is visible from the outside... the outside texture wll be a b!otch to duplicate.

Fiberglass repair is fairly strait forward. The toughest part is you have to damage it more before you fix it. Basically you need to rough up the edges so they are "frayed". The amount of fraying depends on how much strength is needed. I'd recomend a 1/2 to 3/4 inch for a jeep top. After you fray the edges you fill the gap with chopped fiber mat. Sand smooth with 32 grit, repeat if necessary. Then finish block sand with 400, bondo, prime and paint.

In all the schools Ive been to for composites and advanced composite repairs I never seen it where you fray it and fill the crack. I always had to dish or step out the areas from the damaged (frayed )area out and then build it back with layers, but then again I was working a aircraft.

JPNGRL44

Unhealthy Obsession
waynehartwig said:
Really... What a (insert name of male body part here)! For all that matters, the slang for a cat, too! Look on the bright side though, if this is how he is, you are WAYYYYYY better off without him and lucky you didn't end up getting married/having kids with him to find out!!

:D Not to mention my jeep is better off as well!