flat towing np208, c6

fordy4

I've done a search and read that flat towing with a tow bar requires pulling the rear drive shaft in some cases. I am going to moab and will be attempting to flat tow from camp to the trails. I was wondering if it necessary to pull the rear shaft with a np208 transfer case and a c6 auto transmission for the short distances that I will be towing it.
thanks

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
MR.CJ-7 said:
I would think short distances would be ok, but then again before I had a trailer I flat towed my CJ with the D300 from salt lake to moab all the time.

Did you remove the drive shaft or just start the engine every 200 miles?

fordy4

Ok, so do you put the transfer case and tranny in nuetral or just one or the other?

Last edited:

fordy4

I did the tranny in park and t-case in nuetral thing and took it around the block, but everytime I hit the brake to slow down I heard some kind of a light gear grinding sound that was proportionate to the speed I was going. It only happend when I was slowing down quickly. Any ideas why it would be grinding like this? I am 99% sure it was in the t-case. I rode for a while and tried to keep the shifter in one place thinking is was slipping forward, but no matter how still I held the t-case shifter, same noise.:confused:

Last edited: