Jeep Ford 44 front axle swap Cherokee

olywrestle

Duct Tape
So I came into this axle for next to nothing along with a 9" rear. The issue that has popped after researching this swap, is this axle is the 78-79 ford front that has the radius arm mounts cast into the axle, and it has been recommended that it is not good candidate for swap if you aren't using the ford radius arms and buckets.

After looking at the pictures and the axle itself, I think I could modify the mounts for the cherokee springs in order to fit around the radius arm mounts, but not sure. ( using a kit such as this http://www.rubiconexpress.com/BuilderParts/Product.aspx?folder=BPBK&part=RE9968 )

Anyone done this, or ran into this? Opinions? Recommendations?

( my axle, picture on left.)

Attachments

• fordaxle_halfton.jpg
    fordaxle_halfton.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 17

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
The RE kit would have to be welded to the casting on the driver's side which I wouldn't want to do. I used some of the same parts when I put in a 79 F250 axle in my son's comanche. That axle didn't have the cast radius knuckles but did have leaf spring perches that had to be worked around. My son's rig has worked out very well.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Cast steel cools at a different rate than the cold rolled steel that would be welded to it and often leads to cracked welds. I know you can weld the two but you have to pre and post heat the weld areas properly.