Ford 8.8 under a YJ

Cory

8.8 Spline Count

You may want to be careful on ordering a locker. I've been told that 8.8s with drum brakes have a different spline count than ones with disc brakes. (Drums = 27 splines if I remember right). I think 95 was the year they switched on the explorers.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
RockMonkey said:
The C clip does not have any effect on the strength of the axle.

It really doesn't but what almost never comes up in the debate about breaking a shaft and whether the wheel will leave the vehichle ect, is the wheel bearing design of a Cclip axle. I think that it is very important to consider especially with the side loads that shafts see in offroad situations. I will take a tapered roller pressed onto the shaft over caged balls with the shaft riding on the bearings anyday.

GreenYJ

Cory said:
You may want to be careful on ordering a locker. I've been told that 8.8s with drum brakes have a different spline count than ones with disc brakes. (Drums = 27 splines if I remember right). I think 95 was the year they switched on the explorers.

Actually 27 splined 8.8s were out of the rangers and such. If you get your axle from an explorere its 31 spline.

Fuller

Formerly limegrnxj
GreenYJ said:
Actually 27 splined 8.8s were out of the rangers and such. If you get your axle from an explorere its 31 spline.

my friend put a 8.8 with drums with the 31 spline count in his cherokee, and his stock emergency brake cables whent right in.

GreenYJ

limegrnxj said:
my friend put a 8.8 with drums with the 31 spline count in his cherokee, and his stock emergency brake cables whent right in.

Thats good to know. I haven't even looked at the E-brake hook-up. hopefully its the same for a YJ

Fuller

Formerly limegrnxj
GreenYJ said:
Thats good to know. I haven't even looked at the E-brake hook-up. hopefully its the same for a YJ

it should, xj owners can take one of the yj brake cables (the longer one) and use that for an extended e-brake cable, which hooks up with no mods needed.