ford 9 inch disc brake conversion

mesha

By endurance we conquer
So I bought the 9 inchhousing from kake today. I am going to put it in the rear of my jeep, but I want to convert it to disc brakes. Most of the kits I see are from an 8.8 axle. How exactly does this work? Is it a pain or pretty straight forward? However, the kits that I see have 5 on 4 1/2 pattern and I need 5 on 5 1/2. Can the rotors be drilled out? Does anyone have another way of doing this? Maybe a weld on bracket or something. Is it even worth it?

Chevycrew

Here is what I did. I had the axle shafts turned down slightly. (you can do this with a grinder if someone spins the axle for you. Then I used CJ-5 rotors, I think it was 70's era. After grinding on the shaft the hat of the rotor fit down flush on the wheel mounting surface. Using the lug nuts to hold the rotor in place makes sure the run-out is acceptable. I used 3 5/16" countersink allen head bolts, drilled and tapped the axle shaft, and countersunk the rotor. Once the wheel is on these, bolts really dont do anything, but are required since the rotor holes are larger than the wheel studs.

On the backing plate, I cut the center out of the old drum backing plate, it is used as a shim and you need to keep it, or make a new shim. I used a chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 front caliper bracket, cut beween 2 holes so the bracket could be put on without removal of shaft and bearings. For this to fit my bolt pattern I had to englarge the holes just enough to get the bolts through. If your holes are to far off you may want to drill new holes.

Once rotor and caliper mount is on, I bolted on a chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 rotor and hooked up the lines.

You can also sub in a caddy caliper if you want and e-brake.

EB101

What worked for me was 6 cyl cj7 rotors (that gives me the 5 on 5.5 pattern). I also had my axles turned down a bit to fit. I used weld on brackets for the big chev pattern. To get the exact placement, bolt everything up including the caliper and pads. Then put some air in the caliper and it will pinch on the rotor and give you the exact alignment you need and weld it there.

If you want an integrated parking brake you have some options, the biggest cost is usually the calipers and most of them don't work worth crap.
It seems like the metric size caddy caliper is the cheapest because they are the most common. Just get the smaller gm weld on brackets if you go that way.
I personally like the Explorer kit a lot of vendors putting together including ford racing. If you are serious about a parking brake, it is a great option and cheap compared to most of the complete kits. Depending on your setup it could be a straight bolt-on (this takes a big bearing setup with the torino style ends). Theres a few vendors selling modded versions for the other patterns too.

There's a lot of writeups out there on it, you just have to pick your poison.

I hope that helps..
Steve

Attachments

• rear disc (Small).JPG
    rear disc (Small).JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 22

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
Look at these brackets

http://diy4x.com/brakes.htm

Kurt is a vendor on Planet4x4. Dont think he is here though. I have ordered a lot of parts from him including my 14 bolt brake brackets.

He does really good work! And how can you pass up the right bracket for $11???

He is always willing to talk on the phone and help out if you have any questions.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I used the BC bronco's kit and couldn't have been happier. They supplied the rotors, the brackets, the spacers and I supplied the calipers brake lines and banjo bolts etc. It was so easy even I could do it :D

http://www.bcbroncos.com/info.html

If I remember correctly, I just bought the bracket kit and the rotors.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
What worked for me was 6 cyl cj7 rotors (that gives me the 5 on 5.5 pattern). I also had my axles turned down a bit to fit. I used weld on brackets for the big chev pattern. To get the exact placement, bolt everything up including the caliper and pads. Then put some air in the caliper and it will pinch on the rotor and give you the exact alignment you need and weld it there.

If you want an integrated parking brake you have some options, the biggest cost is usually the calipers and most of them don't work worth crap.
It seems like the metric size caddy caliper is the cheapest because they are the most common. Just get the smaller gm weld on brackets if you go that way.
I personally like the Explorer kit a lot of vendors putting together including ford racing. If you are serious about a parking brake, it is a great option and cheap compared to most of the complete kits. Depending on your setup it could be a straight bolt-on (this takes a big bearing setup with the torino style ends). Theres a few vendors selling modded versions for the other patterns too.

There's a lot of writeups out there on it, you just have to pick your poison.

I hope that helps..
Steve

I should have checked these out while I was picking up that 3rd member.:sick: The explorer kit seems cool. I was wondering if the rotors could be redrilled to 5 on 5 1/2? I already have the 8.8 brake set up complete, but it's 5 on 4 1/2. I guess I already have a set of CJ rotors and GM calipers here too though. I just want a parking brake.
P.S. what part of the axle had to be turned down?

soda blaster

I have all the part numbers at my shop for doings this very inexpensive and very good without having to turn down your axle shafts we are running this on our bronco right now. I will get them for you in the morning.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I have all the part numbers at my shop for doings this very inexpensive and very good without having to turn down your axle shafts we are running this on our bronco right now. I will get them for you in the morning.

cool thanks:)

zukking01

I used suzuki samurai rotors. I opened them up a little with a drill bit and turned down the shaft slightly. I also used samurai calipers. The rotors and calipers were used and guaranteed and they were $50 for all 4 pieces. I made some brackets and put it all together. I will not have a park brake on the jeep.

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
you can just redrill the rotors.. I have a set of 5 on 4.5 and 5 on 5.5 rotors on my D44 with the Teraflex disk brake kit (All 8.8 disk brake parts).. if you have the rotors just take them to Summit machine and have them re-drill them for you.

You may need to get the outer lip on your axle shaft turned down to fit in the big hole in the rotor.. or the big hole opened up to fit the shaft.

-- Double check all of this information though with a measuring tape :)

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Yeah, I did the search and found a lot of kits, but I have alot of random parts laying around as was going to use what I could of those.

Glad to hear I can redrill the rotors that will be nice.
those part numbers will be nice.

ID Bronco

I too would appreciate those part numbers if you have them. My 72 could use this mod. although after putting on the hydroboost kit is stops pretty well.

hey soda blaster new to the site any chance i could get those part numbers as well

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Here is what soda blaster PMd me.
use the rotors off a 79 dodge half ton they will be 5 on 5 1/2 and you will not have to redrill or grind anything the brackets from Ben Hanks work great you will have to weld them on to the axle your self but thats no big deal. For the calipers use mid 70's chevy caliper this works great and is less than 100.00.

I bought a set up front an 8.8 is on its way here right now. I will let you know how it works out. I also read a link about some sami rotors. I would have gone that way if I knew I had them in my pile o parts.