ford 9 inch disc brake conversion

STAG

On my grind
Yeah there is one on ksl right now that has factory discs.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I have done my own disc-brake conversion on my 9". I will give you the part numbers but I have been told by the guy who told me to keep it a secret.. I guess I will lose the secret..

What you need-
2 brake rotors from a- 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 4WD Front Rotors
2 Calipers- IF you want the cable E-brake lever- 1978 Cadillac Seville rear calipers or I believe you can also use El Dorado calipers.
---------- IF you don't want the E-brake- 1978 Chevy K1500 Front calipers.
2 pair of disc brake pads- 1978 Chevy K1500 Front
Brackets- I home made mine, but that was before I found These from RuffStuffSpecialties.
You will also need 10 new lug studs from a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 4WD

I would definately reccomend the RuffStuffSpecialties ones vs. making your own.

After you have everything. take off your origional drum brake setup. Then knock out all of your old lug studs, you can't use the factory ones with these rotors. So press in the new lug studs. Then, slide on the rotors and put a few lug nuts on each rotor to hold them tight up against the axleshaft flange.

Then assemble your caliper/brake pad setup onto your bracket. Then set the bracket on the axle, perpendicular to the axle shaft, and make sure you have your caliper bleed-off-valve located at the top (twelve o' clock) and then weld on the brackets. Bleed the system and install the E-brake cables if necessary.

Notice in my pics one of the calipers is in front and one is in back, I did this because I used 2 Driver side calipers instead of one passenger and one driver. (iirc the passenger one autozone gave me was kinda weird so I just bought another drivers side, it doesn't make a difference, its just one goes in front, and one goes in back to keep the bleed-off-valve at 12 o clock.)

sspx0277.jpg

sspx0276w.jpg

slcpunk74

Original Saboteur
My buddy told me about using 8.8 brakes(discs and all) and just bolting them right up to the 9" housing from an early 80s bronco. Is he high or what? Can you guys help me with this because I really want to go full width on the rear of my prerunner and the discs would really help.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
HA ha scratch that my buddy just found the link and it only worked on the small 9" I guess.

yeah, I bought a whole 8.8 set up on ebay and they don't fit. I have the big bearing and 35 spline shafts. now I have to see if a machine shop can redrill those too. (already doing the rotors)