ford engine/tranny compatability

thornhill

I have a ford 302 out of a '90 crown vic, there's a guy at pirate4x4.com selling a c-6 out of a ford truck (that's all I know) Does anyone know if these will bolt up? Jeremy are you out there?

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
the 302 will be the windsor pattern and the C6 is probably a 400 460 type bellhousing so I bet they don't bolt up. Find out more about the truck and report back.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
The c6 is not practically adaptable to your 302 if it was not originally behind a 302/351w. The bell housing is a completely different pattern, and unlike manual trans, most auto including the c6 do not have removeable bellhousings. You would need an entire c6 case from behind a 302/351w and swap the internals. Not practicle of worth the time/money. If you really want a c6, get the right one. A c4 is much easier to find, smaller/shorter, and sucks less HP, and can be built to handle the power of about any small block. Another option is to use an adapter plater from AA that allows the use of a chev auto behind your 302.

What is it going in? What kind of use? Future plans axles, suspesion, tcase, etc should all be considered when choosing a tranny.

HTH
Marc

thornhill

WELL I'VE GOT THE 302 WITH AN AOD TRANSMISSION BEHIND IT NOW. I WANT TO EVENTUALLY PUT IT INTO A TJ. I SAW THE GOOD DEAL AND DECIDED TO FIND OUT A LITTLE MORE. FROM WHAT I'VE BEEN TOLD AOD'S ARE NO GOOD FOR ROCKCRAWLING. IF ANYONE HAS ANY SUGGESTIONS, I'M ALL EARS.

rustybronco

Flat Land Offroader
The Aod's are put down because they're not nearly as strong as a C4 or C6. But in a little tiny jeep, with a little tiny 302, I don't think you're going to have a problem. If you use it, it will live! And I don't think you want to carry around the weight of a C6. A C4 would be much better and plenty strong enough. However, you'll love the Aod on the highway! Now, you're gonna have to lower yourself and go buy a Mustangs and Fast Fords magazine. In there you'll discover how to upgrade your aod since Mustangs use the same trans. Most importantly get yourself a new torque converter designed for your needs! That alone will make or break an auto tranny.

thornhill

If I put the 302 in the TJ I'll never drive it on the highway again. Where can I find a C-4 and what are my transfer case options after that? I'd rather not adapt the AOD if I can't use it long term. The TJ will have a 60 front and 14 bolt rear with at least 38's eventually. I'm collecting all the parts before I start the build up.

Last edited:

thornhill

All right I got some more info on the c-6, it came with a 351w. Will bolt right up to my 302 then right?:confused:

The guy also has the adapter to mate this to a np 205.

302 with a c-6 and a 205, with a rear 14 bolt all on a budget.:D

The expensive part will be the front 60.

What does everyone out there think should I go for it?

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
That will work, very strong setup. I am worried about the length of that combo in a TJ. Probably ok if you are extending the wheelbase, but at stock wheelbase with any lift, the rear driveline would not work.

As for the AOD, they do get a bad wrap, I thought about one, but to $$$$$ to make it hold up. They can be built to hadle abuse, but not economically. There is a ton of stuff on the net about them.

Check out Bronco.com for a bunch of motor and tranny links.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
The C6 will be 25" long with the adapter and the 205 is a big case just be sure you have room. I dont think you will ever break the combo. One other thing, It would not be any harder to put a 351w under the hood.

thornhill

looks like I'll be going to Nevada to pick it up then. Thank you everyone for all your help.

Now does anyone know where I can get a ford 205, I think I read somewhere that some had drivers side output. I'll need one with the 32 spline front output too. I think I read that this could be swapped in later though. The tj will be getting more wheelbase too, how much is still undecided.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
AllFord 205's are drivers side drop. Check the wrecking yards. Most 70's Fords are 205's. Just be sure not to get a divorced mount 205 or a 203. Although you could use a 203 to do a dual case.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
If you get a Ford 203, it will bolt right. You use the frt half of a 203 then an adapter plate to the 205. At that point you can either use a Ford or chev 205 depending on what frt offset you need. OffRoad Design and William Machine make the adapters. I don't have the contact info off hand, but you can find them in about any 4x4 mag.

harkinoff

something to do...
Originally posted by rckcrlr
If the c-6 was behind a 302 or 351w it will work. If it was behind a 351c or m, 390, 400, or any big block, it will not match up to your 302.
what do you mean tranny off a cleveland won't work on a 302?,its still classed as a small block as the 351ho, 351w,289,260's. 351m and the 400 are the same as 429-460, your fe's are also a class of there own 352-428 just name a few, now back to the cleveland and the 302, the only thing that is different tranny wise, is that the flex-plate's will not interchange between the two, also the bellhousing bolt pattern is the same betwwen a 351c and a 302,351boss,302boss,351 windsor, 351 h.o.,260,289, now unless ford totally redesigned their late model 302 block from the early models all small block fords have the same bellhousing pattern!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Originally posted by harkinoff
what do you mean tranny off a cleveland won't work on a 302?,its still classed as a small block as the 351ho, 351w,289,260's. 351m and the 400 are the same as 429-460, your fe's are also a class of there own 352-428 just name a few, now back to the cleveland and the 302, the only thing that is different tranny wise, is that the flex-plate's will not interchange between the two, also the bellhousing bolt pattern is the same betwwen a 351c and a 302,351boss,302boss,351 windsor, 351 h.o.,260,289, now unless ford totally redesigned their late model 302 block from the early models all small block fords have the same bellhousing pattern!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

GM is so boring...:rolleyes: Big and small block Chev. bolt to a Chevrolet bolt pattern tranny/bellhousing and a BOP (Buick, Olds, Pontiac) pattern will work (probably not exactly what you'd want in a 4WD) with a fairly cheap adapter. 400 small blocks and 454's are externally balanced, but all the other small/big blocks flywheels and flexplates are the same.........I wonder why I've never built a Ford?

harkinoff

something to do...
Originally posted by bobdog
The 351cleveland belongs in the 351m (m for modified clevland) 400 family.
the 351 cleveland and the 351 modified are nothing alike, they may look kinda the same, but internals are different bell housing patterns are different,the cleveland is a much better motor,clevelands have steel cranks, plus you could get one called a BOSS, WITH FOUR BOLT BOTTOM END, the 351m and 400m need to be scrapped, there is nothing good about them, besides the fact you can use the tranny off them for a 429 scj