ford engine/tranny compatability

harkinoff

something to do...
Originally posted by mbryson

GM is so boring...:rolleyes: Big and small block Chev. bolt to a Chevrolet bolt pattern tranny/bellhousing and a BOP (Buick, Olds, Pontiac) pattern will work (probably not exactly what you'd want in a 4WD) with a fairly cheap adapter. 400 small blocks and 454's are externally balanced, but all the other small/big blocks flywheels and flexplates are the same.........I wonder why I've never built a Ford?
thats why I went chevy, I used to run mustangs,torinos,cyclones, you would not believe the parts that pile when you build and race ford cars, nothing is interchangeable from year to year like chevy's are:)

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Scott, you should really call me if you need the info on this... I can get you a C6 and 205 for about 150.00, just call, and yes, 351c have the same bellhousing as 302/351. It's the 351 MODIFIED that is different. Research be fore you talk out of your A*%! (I've been hangin out on that pirate board too much)

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
That last remark was for people who talk before they KNOW. Scott, Todd's adapter will be about 530.00 with tax and shipping, just say when your ready and I'll order it.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Harkinof the 351c and351m-400 do have a lot in common. Many parts interchange. Cams, rockers, oil pumps, oil pans, gasket sets ect. I never said any thing about the bellhousing pattern and I agree that 351m-400s are pigs.

Last edited:

harkinoff

something to do...
Originally posted by rckcrlr
If the c-6 was behind a 302 or 351w it will work. If it was behind a 351c or m, 390, 400, or any big block, it will not match up to your 302.
this is the qoute I was talking about!!! he is talking about a 351c 390 400 or any big block, my point is there is nothing in comman between any of those three. the cleveland is a SMALL BLOCK, not a F E series or a M series, SSIIIIMMMMPPPPLLLEEEE!!!!!!and I would like to comment on the things that interchange between a cleveland and a modified, the heads are different cranks are different, intakes are different,bellhousing pattern is different, the list goes on. besides it is and insult to FORD to even compare 351 2v, 351 4v,351 boss,to one of the worst engines ford ever built the 351m:(

harkinoff

something to do...
good article bobdog, I would still like to know why you would even consider puting heads of a m on a cleveland? the m was such a performance slug, who would think of using the heads? the best engine set up I ever ran was cleveland heads on a windsor block, the windsor oils much better than a cleveland. The only way you can make a cleveland live on high r's is to cross drill the crank, that was what I learned the hard way.

harkinoff

something to do...
I must be bored!!!!!! I called napa checked on head gaskets for a m and a cleveland, different part number, the guy pulled them, he said the water jackets are different!!!!!!no wonder I never heard of puting m heads on clevelands, that and the fact m heads are smogg heads, the only reason you can put cleveland heads on a windsor block is because someone had the brains to build a kit, just incase you were wondering how to swap heads from cleveland to windsor,,, o.k. I'm done venting now,,,,,:D

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
I would not put the M heads on a cleavland engine I would put the M block in the back of the truck for weight in the winter. A lot of peaple are buying up aussi cleveland heads and putting them on their M blocks though. I just said that the engines were related and was basically told I did not know what I was talking about. If anyone with a 351c Mach 1 or something like that was offended I am sorry. P.S. check the Summit racing catalog the gasket sets are the same part# in there.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
You said that if his c6 was behind a 351c, it would not bolt up to his 302, Bobdog. But alas, you apologized and all is forgiven. We all must be carefull when we state stats that they are fact and not a perpetuated rumor that we heard from a friend who knew a guy that once worked at Autozone and used to sell 351c's in rebuilt long blocks for 325.00. (rant mode off) I just bought a C4 yesterday that was hooked to a C, and the guy didn't want to sell it to me because he said it wouldn't bolt up to my 302, I had to go get my spare bellhousing and show it to him so he would sell it to me.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
To clarify that last post. I never said that thecleveland had the big block pattern that was somebody else. I did research (in several diferent places, not at autozone however) before I posted facts. I did however apologize to all cleveland motors for pointing out their very!!! close relationship to the M motors.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
Golley Gee we are all human. Nobody is perfect, sorry for trying to help, but looks like we all make mistakes. Like owning an International.
SORRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
But, I sure don't need you to for give me.

Man, I wish there was a smile/icon for sarcasm!!!!!!!

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Sorry Bobdog, I mis-read.I thought it was you who said that, but it was someone else entirely. I bow before you offering my humble apology. (insert bow here)

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
And additionaly, no offense to anyone who happens to work at Autozone, But seriously, when you ask for a part by number,why do they always grab the keyboard and say "For what vehicle?":D

harkinoff

something to do...
NO DAMAGE DONE, WE ARE ALL HUMAN:D and yes what is up with grabing the computer and saying what vehicle? rckcrlr what kind of international do you own?or is this a discreet form of sarcasm?:D if it is I'm use to it!!!!!

Last edited:

harkinoff

something to do...
like I said, I can take it!!!!! at least I can say the only thing that is trashinal is the body and frame:D oh ya, at least I know not to compare a cleveland with a big block or m series engines:D but its all out fun isn't it!!!!!!

Last edited: