forest lake run made it half way

so i drive a 2002 jeep grand cherokee overland. bone stock sadly. i cant seem to find anyone that makes a lift kit for it, and the dealers are telling me it cant be done cause it will ruin the structure of the jeep. why make a jeep you cant lift. so anyways i was looking at the trail maps and what information out there about each trail. i came across the forest lake trail saying that my stock or a slightly modifyed can do it. i guarentee this is true. the only thing that stopped me today was a rain puddle from last night. i couldnt determin how deep it was so instead of risking high centering or getting stuck there i turned around. i had guys in their lifted toyotas and broncos passing me with their jaw open saying i made it up in that wow. well much help to the stock skid plates that come on my jeep and the rock rails. but i chose my line carefully and had a friend help me spot so i didnt hit something i didnt see. other than the puddle that made me turn around after all the hill climbs and rocks it was a fun trail and when it drys out ill be doing it again. i have geolander ats tires on my jeep so nothing extreme either. just some 24565r17 all aired down to 28 psi. glad i could find a trail to push my stock rig and it was fun seeing the toyota guys saying you made it up in that all the better. pictures to come friday as right now i cant find my cable to post them today. i was up past all the logs with rubber over the tops of them on the trail made it up the frist 2 big rocky hill climbs and even past the deep rutts in the trail due to weather i assume. for those that dont believe me. if your stock and want a challenge take some friends have them spot for you and if your going this trail and its dry tell me when ill see if i cant make it up with you.:greg:

sixstringsteve

you were 3/4 of the way there. I've been in those puddles before when they were at least 30" deep. It surprised me to watch my 31's all but disappear. Glad to hear you got to enjoy that trail, it's a fun one.

really i was told half of the trail was smooth sailing by a guy on a quad at the begining. i was just feeling like it was getting to the easy trail like what i came off of. but yeah it was a blast. i just need to find a company who makes a lift kit for my year and model of jeep so i can enjoy all of the trails up there.

sixstringsteve

that's a WJ, right? I don't know jeeps well, but I've seen plenty of 2002's lifted. Is the issue that it's an overland model?

How about these guys?

http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=IROR&Category_Code=PFW

Old Man Emu should also make a lift for that vehicle. Contact cruiseroutfit, he has all the info on those, he is a dealer and lives here in Utah. Great guy.

Here are a few others:
http://www.xtremeterrain.com/99-04g...esvt=GOUSE1622&esvadt=999999-0-415-1&esvid=15

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=rustys&Category_Code=wj_kits

Last edited:
thanks that would be a big help i thought i was out of luck. yes its a overland model and the dealer was trying to explain there are 5 seperate load points on the rear end that they changed. if he can help it would be great.

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
I've been up in my KJ many times. It's got real tires though (and turbo diesel sweetness). There isn't a jeep you can't lift... even the Patriot and Compass have lift kits available

thank you for all your imput i really needed it. im going to call some of the main lift company tech support and find out which lift will be best for my jeep. its not that i couldnt find a small lift its that ive been told with the multiple load points on the rear end that make it near if not impossible to lift more than a inch or 2. thanks again

Cascadia

Undecided
Most lift companies take those load points into consideration now. A few years back there were so e that didnt and it cause some issues. I have had 3 lifted wj's and loved em all. One was a rustys 4 inch lift, one was teraflex (not sure if they still make it though), and my last one had some Clayton off road arms I really liked. They make a real nice long arm kit. you shouldn't have any trouble finding a kit. Just don't deal with a dealership.

i just bought it first part of june. i had a 97 last year and was about to lift it but got rear ended on the freeway and totaled out. got a truck to last me threw winter and missed the jeep so i went out shopping for one this summer and found one with 3 stock skid plates and a rocker rail i couldnt pass it up. not sure ill lift my jeep this fall cause theres really no off road possabilities with the snow so im hoping to find one buy the tires for it and get the lift on just before jeep safari or as the snow melts next spring or summer. i really like the ride it has and the over all look of it i just would light some extra ground clearance.

ok ill have to look into getting a bit of a lift so i can try new places out. i did just call rustys and they say either one of their 4 inch lifts work for my jeep just depends on how much flex i want. so either the long arm or short arm. im thinking about the short arm right now where i wouldnt have to tilt the axles right away. and it will still give me the clearance im looking for. they did suggest adding the double steering stabilizer to the jeep.

sixstringsteve

is there much of a difference in price between the long arm and short arm? If not, I'd go long-arm. There are tons of guys on here who would be happy to help you work on it if you need help.

well the kit without the upgraded rear a arm that mounts to the rear diff is 1200 the a arm is 500 and if i want a duel steering stabilizer is 85. the long arm kit is 2500 so its around a 800 dollar difference before tax. both kits claim to be a bolt on and they said i shouldnt have to tilt the diffs where i have the double nuckle joints on the front drive shaft. the stock rear a arm mount is said to be not the best for off roading thats why they have made a better stronger mount and assembly. the rustys lifts have the life time warrenty on its parts so if they bend brake or anything that the trail will do to it will be covered. i dont have the tools to put the lift on myself so i would either be paying a mechanic i know to do it or see if any friends know how to do it.

the old man emu only has a 1.5 inch lift and they say i should already have that where i have a up country suspension. idk my jeep feels very stock to me with no extra ride hight.

Goose

aToYoTa-fREak
is there much of a difference in price between the long arm and short arm? If not, I'd go long-arm. There are tons of guys on here who would be happy to help you work on it if you need help.

hey Steve were you headed up on Fri Eve? I think me & my son passed you
on the dirt road, just before the road gets pretty narrow.

mattoy

I have an idea sell the sub par jeep and buy a yota and then you can say you passed up some guy in a Heep oh I mean jeep and that the trail ran out before you even locked the hubs forest lake is pretty but not even close to a challenge I've done the jeep thing and learned the hard way my bro just spent 12 grand on his the and still can't hang with my 2k dollar Yota