forest lake run made it half way

sixstringsteve

You've got a great jeep. If you love it, stick with it. There's so much more than rock crawling out there. Once you've got some sliders I'll take you up mineral basin for an over-nighter. That's a fun trail, and your jeep can definitely handle it.

sliders to come this winter im putting a 2 inch puck lift on it this next month bought them just waiting for them to get here and put on. ive had several jeeps from the xj's to the grands and loved them all just never put a lift or anything heavy duty on them like what im looking at doing now. i dont have much of a problem with toyotas i just dont like the price tag on what people are selling them for with an insaine amount of miles to me its not worth it. im not paying more than a few hundred dollars with something over 200k miles. skids on my jeep to happen before the snow melts. then i plan on going to see some cool mines and things like that this next year as well as some rock crawling. question for steve do you live in amfork cause there is a truck like what you drive over on 100 east i pass everyday.

sixstringsteve

my toyota has 198k. I paid more than a couple hundred for it :D I plan on getting 500k out of it (unless I get bored and sell it for something else.)

I live in Lehi. I know the truck you're talking about. My truck looks better than that one. :D But yeah, it's very similar to mine, only it's about 2 inches taller and the wheels aren't black.

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
I paid $22K for my KJ and $900 for an OME lift that lets me clear 32" tires. I paid $1800 for my 4Runner and $130 for a lift that clears 33" tires.

ok guess its all the time of year when your looking but when i was looking thats how it was for me. but if i was to get a toyota it would either have the old 22re motor, newer 3.4l in more of the tacoma or the 4.7l in the land cruiser. the other motors ive seen have hard problems when they get around 200k but it all depends on the owner.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
The Overland model has tow hooks and skid plates stock. It also has decent (for factory) rock rails.
and the Vari-Lok limited slip diffs work pretty well with the traction control.

In my opinion one of the best stock upscale Jeeps ever made.
I'd put a budget boost on it and have fun.
Jeep engineered this vehicle to be fantastic when left nearly stock.

Comparing an old yota to this Jeep is apples and oranges. No 80's Toy is going to have 125mph factory top speed and an upscale WJ is no rock buggy without lot's of expensive mods (I know I've built one to the hilt with a friend).

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
I have an idea sell the sub par jeep and buy a yota and then you can say you passed up some guy in a Heep oh I mean jeep and that the trail ran out before you even locked the hubs forest lake is pretty but not even close to a challenge I've done the jeep thing and learned the hard way my bro just spent 12 grand on his the and still can't hang with my 2k dollar Yota

This kid is funny. Let me know if/when you wanna play in a few weeks, I even have open diffs to make you look foolish. Then I will cruise home at 80 while your rattle box is lucky to reach 65.

In other words, while you think your cheap, beat up junker is cooler than his unibody SUV, there will always be someone with a Jeep that is better than your pile. When in reality the $2k "Yota" is likely all you can afford in the first place. Mustang guy has a wife with a kid on the way, not something he wants to entrust to a ratty old pickup truck. If you rag on others you will get ragged on, understand?

sixstringsteve

No, I mean the 1UZ-FE, but it never came in any pickups or 4runners, so it probably wasn't relevant to this discussion.

i hear where your all coming from i do plan on just putting the budget lift on my jeep with some upgraded rock rails other than that its my daily driver. ive been looking around for something to use as a camping/rock crawling vehicle that if i brake something i can park it and fix it and still get to work when i need to. so ive been looking at toyotas jeeps blazers and broncos. all have pros and cons but ill be looking at buying one this next spring. with the lift already on it more cost effective that way. but ill let everyone know what i get after this next feburary. its almost 6 thousand dollars to do the things i would like to do on my jeep hence why im looking for one that already has most of the things i would like. minimal lift tires and a good running vehicle.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I think you are on the right track. Make your current jeep wheelable but still safe and reliable for your family, then concentrate on a toy. Just do your research and don't be afraid to ask questions. One thing to keep in mind is finding as much information on your own and then asking questions based on what you have learned goes a long way. I really think you are already well on your way to that point.

well i see anything and everything that is new, used and garbage out there where i work. luckily i change everyones oil and do state inspections. i see things i like about every different model out there its just i dont see as many old jeeps and toyotas come in like i had working at different shops. i just know what ive had what ive liked and how its turned out. the jeep straight six is bullet proof as to what ive had. as are some of the old toyota motors. ill just have to drive a bit of everything and see what feels good. then ill start asking question about the extras and what i might face problem wise.